ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

13 points! Go Ravens D

vmax

The D has been a key factor in helping this team to the Super Bowl...

Against Indianapolis, the Ravens didn't allow a touchdown to Andrew Luck. Against Denver, they forced three Peyton Manning turnovers that led to 17 points. And in their rematch with New England in the AFC championship game, they shut out Tom Brady in the second half, producing the first defeat of Brady in 68 home games where he started and New England led at the half.

"This is how we play the game," Pollard said.

... All I know is that I witnessed Baltimore beat Manning for the first time in 10 starts. I watched it beat Tom Brady in a conference championship game at home, where he never loses conference championship games. And I've seen the resurrection of a Baltimore defense that was supposed to be a liability and the reason the Ravens would not get this far.

So they surrender 415 yards a game in the playoffs, while opponents convert 45 percent of their third downs. Big deal. Look a little closer, and you'll find opponents averaging 4.9 yards per play (San Francisco's opponents average 6.8) and producing 10 points (not including Holliday's returns) in a second half Baltimore owns -- with a 52-17 overall advantage.

Better yet, in the Ravens' past four victories they held Eli Manning, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady -- a group with six Super Bowl rings -- to a 55.3 percent completion rate, with nine sacks, five touchdowns, five interceptions and a combined passer rating of 70.23.

Maybe now you understand what I mean about the Ravens' defense finding its mojo again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/21594518/look-whos-making-big-plays-again-its-the-return-of-the-ravens-defense

The offense struggled in the first half and battled poor field position at Foxborough, but the D kept the team in the game. It could have got out of hand in the closing minutes....even early in the 3rd quarter....but they held strong.

They have one more big test.

We gave up 428 yards to the Pats but it really didn't feel like it. Perhaps this is the modern version of a shut down D. Let offenses move the ball between the 20s but clamp down on the run and short passes inside the 20 when there isn't as much room to worry about passes over the top.