ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bengals Game

varaven45

I am glad to hear most everyone is giving props to Bengals - especially since they are 1 bad luck Brandon Stokely tipped catch from being 4 and 0.

Regardless of what a few homers might say, this is a huge game. I am sure Harbs has our guys approaching this game as a quasi playoff game. With the Vikings lurking in 2 weeks, we absolutely need to win this game.

To me, the most important keys to winning this game is shutting down Palmer and the passing game. He has been our achilles heel in many games, esp in the 4th quarter.

To shut him down, our D needs to come up with its most complete game of the season. The D line needs to wreak havoc, the LB corps must pressure and sack Palmer mulitple times, and the secondary needs to play its best game of the season. They have multiple WR options and they are all good - Caldwell, Coles, Henry, and Ocho. If we dont contain these guys for 60 minutes, it will be a tough day.

if our D has a big day, I believe the other phases - offense, ST - will fall into place.

In closing, our D needs to step up in huge way. In many ways, a favorable outcome of this game and the balance of the season hinges heavily on our D getting its swagger back and keeping it.

Thoughts ?

I am glad to hear most everyone is giving props to Bengals - especially since they are 1 bad luck Brandon Stokely tipped catch from being 4 and 0.

Regardless of what a few homers might say, this is a huge game. I am sure Harbs has our guys approaching this game as a quasi playoff game. With the Vikings lurking in 2 weeks, we absolutely need to win this game.

To me, the most important keys to winning this game is shutting down Palmer and the passing game. He has been our achilles heel in many games, esp in the 4th quarter.

To shut him down, our D needs to come up with its most complete game of the season. The D line needs to wreak havoc, the LB corps must pressure and sack Palmer mulitple times, and the secondary needs to play its best game of the season. They have multiple WR options and they are all good - Caldwell, Coles, Henry, and Ocho. If we dont contain these guys for 60 minutes, it will be a tough day.

if our D has a big day, I believe the other phases - offense, ST - will fall into place.

In closing, our D needs to step up in huge way. In many ways, a favorable outcome of this game and the balance of the season hinges heavily on our D getting its swagger back and keeping it.

Thoughts ?

I actually think it is quite the opposite, the key to beating the Bengals is containing Cedric Benson (the league's fourth leading rusher) who has been a catalyst for the Bengals offense. Take out the fourth quarter, and Palmer has been very pedestrian. In other words, if we stop Benson early and our offense continues to take advantage of scoring opportunities, Palmer will be forced into playing catch-up. Then we can really bring the pass rush (Palmer has been sacked nine times this season) and force Palmer into some bad throws (he has been making poor decision this season). But if we let the Bengals stick around, and they still have the run game at their disposal, then Palmer becomes dangerous spreading the field. Benson has been a huge part of that offense, he is averaging 4.4 YPC, but is leading the league in rushing attempts with 84 (so 21 attempts per contest). In other words, the Bengals have been able to play at their own pace on offense because of their ability to run the ball. Stop the run, and the Bengals no longer have that luxury.

Keep in mind, Palmer is completing under 60% of his passes this season (57.7%), and has thrown five INTs to only six TDs. Also, we have held Palmer to an average of just 197.4 passing yards with four total touchdown passes and three INTs in the last five meetings (granted the Bengals won three out of those five meetings). The bottom line is do not let the Bengals hang around, because then we could be in trouble. As long as we play like we have been playing so far this season by dominating the line of scrimage, efficient passing, and dominant run defensive play, we should be fine (as long as we don't kill ourselves with penalties).

I actually think it is quite the opposite, the key to beating the Bengals is containing Cedric Benson (the league's fourth leading rusher) who has been a catalyst for the Bengals offense. Take out the fourth quarter, and Palmer has been very pedestrian. In other words, if we stop Benson early and our offense continues to take advantage of scoring opportunities, Palmer will be forced into playing catch-up. Then we can really bring the pass rush (Palmer has been sacked nine times this season) and force Palmer into some bad throws (he has been making poor decision this season). But if we let the Bengals stick around, and they still have the run game at their disposal, then Palmer becomes dangerous spreading the field. Benson has been a huge part of that offense, he is averaging 4.4 YPC, but is leading the league in rushing attempts with 84 (so 21 attempts per contest). In other words, the Bengals have been able to play at their own pace on offense because of their ability to run the ball. Stop the run, and the Bengals no longer have that luxury.

Keep in mind, Palmer is completing under 60% of his passes this season (57.7%), and has thrown five INTs to only six TDs. Also, we have held Palmer to an average of just 197.4 passing yards with four total touchdown passes and three INTs in the last five meetings (granted the Bengals won three out of those five meetings). The bottom line is do not let the Bengals hang around, because then we could be in trouble. As long as we play like we have been playing so far this season by dominating the line of scrimage, efficient passing, and dominant run defensive play, we should be fine (as long as we don't kill ourselves with penalties).

Beg to differ, T Cleetz but Palmer is the key. Always has. Props to Benson - he's very good. But the pass D has been our achilles so far this year.

Time will tell.

GO RAVENS !!

I am looking forward for our defense to play great this sunday, and hopefully we will beat them like we did last year with a solid runninggame and controlling TOP.

I wonder how good their OL is to protect palmer and I guess they are terrible to do exactly that. Obviously they do a decent job for the runninggame.. and therefore they are a decent runningteam with a decent RB and with a great QB and great recievers but they have a mediocrere passinggame, does that make any sense?

Benson is not really a RB in the same caliber as Rudi J or Corey D. And this time Benson will face Ngata and Gregg, my money is on Buddy Lee and Ray Ray.

I think our DL will eat Cincys OL, and our OL will dominate their DL and even their ST migth be worse than ours?

If this is the case, crav migth be rigth for once this game will be e..y.

My only concern is our coaches vs Lewis personel.. In 2006 and 2007 I think Lewis did beat us more than anything else, last year well no coach could make no difference. As for their playmakers its only Chris Henry I am worried about, if we kill their OL, he will hopefully not be involved that much.

Palmers passinggame against Ravens.

2004 1-1 698 yards 3TD-4int, 7 sacks

2005 2-0 550 yards 5-1, 2

2006 1-1 428 yards 2-2, 4

2007 2-0 465 yards 2-0, 4

2008 0-1 134 yards 0-1, 2

2009 0-2 285 yards 1-5, 10 sacks

Early thoughts...

I think the Ravens D is going to show up big (thank you very much Chad Johnson for opening your yap). This is a defensive unit with a ton of pride and he lit their fire. They don't want him dancing in their endzone.

They won't let johnson or Benson beat them. Nobody runs on the Ravens and the Bengals won't either. They are actually better against the run than the 2000 Ravens were.

I believe they'll get Cincy's best effort for 60 minutes...but they expect that....and can more than adequately match that. It's not just a physical Ravens D anymore....it's a physical D and O.

43662389.jpg

I respect the Bengal D and expect a great matchup of Oher on Odom. It will be a chessmatch for Cam to move the ball and score on that D and Cam will make the 'in game' adjustment. He has all the pieces to do it.

This isn't Joe's first look at the Bengals...he has 2 wins on them already.

The winning formula remains the same...whover turns it over the fewest times and makes the most big plays will win this game.

My money is on the Ravens.

43661842.jpg

Edited by vmax

I believe they'll get Cincy's best effort for 60 minutes

There lies the problem, Ciincy dosent give you 60 minutes of Football.

Week 1 they scored their only TD with a minute to go to take the lead, only to lose on a fluke play by Denver

Pittsburgh- Again there was a lackluster performance by Cinncy, trailing 20-9 in the 4th quarter, Pittsburgh is going for the jugular with a chip shot FG..DOINK!!! Reed misses it, Palmer leads Cinncy back with 2 quick TD's.

If we are in a situation, where we have the Bengals down. We must finish them off!! We let KC back in we let SD back in. put em away!!

...and may I disagree? :)

The Bengals have won 6 out of the last 9 games with the Ravens...with a crappy defense.

They will show up and play hard...forget about what they have done so far this year.

Palmer's been rusty due to the layoff, but like Brady, he's getting better each week.

I still see a Ravens win because the Ravens are deeper and more talented as a team...more consistant and battle tested as far as big games go.

But this just might not be the slaughter some are predicting. Preston says the Ravens will win by 2 TD's.

That'll make for a pleasant Sunday afternoon in my purple seat.

One more thought...I expect a big game from Kelly Washington and Clayton...Hall will cover Mason but the #2 WR's have been killing the rest of the Bengal secondary.

Remember last year? Clayton threw a 32-yard touchdown pass to Derrick Mason on a trick play and then made a one-handed, 70-yard touchdown catch. He beat Hall for a 45 yard catch in the 1st quarter.

43660940.jpg

43662388.jpg

43661886.jpg

This game is huge for the Bengals...

"Baltimore is going to be very tough," Palmer says. "But it would be huge to start out 3-0 in the division, and that's the goal now. This team never flinches, never stops believing in each other," he says. "We're building character, building confidence, proving to ourselves we can do it when it counts."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/2009-10-08-bengals-friday_N.htm

tommarrow is also t- zizzles birthday!! he is gonna havea feild day along with the rest of the d!!! TIME TO LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN!!!

That run game sure killed us today. Like I predicted, it was the key to the ball game. The Bengals got a big TD from running the ball, and were able to control ToP.

Cedric Benson ran for well over 100 yards. Seldom do the Ravens allow that much by a ball carrier.