ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

We're Screwed

vmax

I was hoping this was all hype like most of the weather forecast dramas.

But....Hurricane Sandy is going to hit us as one bad MoFo Nor'easter....

The storm has a 90 percent chance of smacking the Northeast and mid-Atlantic early next week with gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe even snow, forecasters said Thursday.

"It's going to be a high-impact event," said Bob Oravec, a lead forecaster with the National Weather Service's prediction center. "It has the potential to be a very significant storm with respect to coastal flooding, depending on exactly where it comes in. Power outages are definitely a big threat."

The hurricane part of the storm is likely to come ashore somewhere in New Jersey on Tuesday morning, said forecaster Jim Cisco of the NWS prediction center.

"It's almost a weeklong, five-day, six-day event," Cisco added. "It's going to be a widespread serious storm."

It is also likely to hit during a full moon when tides are near their highest, increasing coastal flooding potential.

"It could be a Nor'easter on steroids," NWS meteorologist Robert Thompson told NBC station WHDH-TV in Boston. "It’s got the potential to rival the great Nor'easters of the past depending upon the eventual track it takes."

Nor'easters are powerful storms that come up along the East Coast from the south and then increase in volatility with winds from the northeast. In this case, another storm is expected to move into the Northeast from the Ohio Valley around the same time, adding to the weather mix.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49546844/ns/weather/

Gear Up!

50360e1d1d41c876e50000fd.jpg

Right now I'm hearing landfall in Deleware or New Jersey....that means we get all the rain.

They're calling it "Frankenstorm"

Federal and private weather forecasters say there is a good chance much of the coast will get hit with gale-force winds, heavy rain, flooding and maybe even snow early next week through Halloween on Wednesday.

Hurricane Sandy, now in the Caribbean, is expected merge with a winter storm and a blast of artic air, creating what forecasters are branding “Frankenstorm.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/10/25/hybrid-of-sandy-winter-storm-threatens-east-coast/

Bad timing to be recovering from reconstructive knee surgery! Always thought I'd be good during the apocalypse but if it takes almost 2-3 minutes just to go up stairs I'm screwed if it's really that bad.

I'm getting out of here....

Meteorologists expect a natural horror show of high wind, heavy rain, extreme tides and maybe snow to the west beginning early Sunday, peaking with the arrival of Hurricane Sandy around Delaware on Tuesday.

WASHINGTON — When Hurricane Sandy becomes a hybrid weather monster some call "Frankenstorm" it will smack the East Coast harder and wider than last year's damaging Irene, forecasters said Friday.

The brunt of the weather mayhem will be concentrated where the hurricane comes ashore early Tuesday, but there will be hundreds of miles of steady, strong and damaging winds and rain for the entire Eastern region for several days, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Wherever Sandy comes ashore will get 10 inches of rain and extreme storm surges, Louis Uccellini, NOAA's environmental prediction director, said in a Friday news conference. Other areas not directly on Sandy's entry path will still get 4 to 8 inches of rain, maybe more, he said. Up to 2 feet of snow should fall on West Virginia, with lighter snow in parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania, regardless of where Sandy first hits.

A wide swath of the East, measuring several hundreds of miles, will get persistent gale-force winds in the 50 mph area, with some areas closer to storm landfall getting closer to 70 mph, said James Franklin, forecast chief for the National Hurricane Center.

"It's going to be a long-lasting event, two to three days of impact for a lot of people," Franklin said. "Wind damage, widespread power outages, heavy rainfall, inland flooding and somebody is going to get a significant surge event."

That storm surge will only be magnified by the full moon this weekend to make it a "dangerous period," Uccellini said.

http://news.msn.com/...oast-increasing

As Hurricane Sandy makes its way north, I urge all Maryland residents to prepare for extreme weather,” said O’Malley. ”I urge all Marylanders to review their family emergency plans, make sure their emergency supplies like batteries and water are fully stocked and to stay informed.”
Edited by vmax

NHC currently has the "Tuesday, 2PM" dot for the center of the storm directly over Baltimore. Even if the eye misses us north, even by 100 miles, we will get a bulk of the rain - look at the maps and where the rain is falling in relation to the eye at present.

My favorite is on the multi-path trackers... many paths between MD and NJ, a big bright yellow band (worse than red) for rainfall totals - putting us between 8 and 10 inches in heart of the storm. But the real good one is the one storm track that has the storm hitting Baltimore... TWICE. It hits Baltimore straight on, then curves out to the west, down to DC, and back to Baltimore! (note the light purple line!)

map_specnews11_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

Is everybody ready?

This is going to be one for the records books. I basicly spent all day Saturday tightening up the house.

Here's the lastest from our Govenor: It's turning a little further south that expected and the center will hit closer to Baltimore than expected....basiclly wee're almost dead center in the storms track. The storm is intensifing. It could actually hit us as a catagory 2 hurricane. He said people will die in this storm. Stay indoors.

They are calling for over 7" of rain as this storm will "park" over Maryland. With that much saturation, tree will be going down everywhere and massive power outages are comming. The power crews can't work in winds over 25 mph so expect to be without power for days. The earliest that power resotoration will start is Wednesday.

This is going to be one rough ride folks.

Edited by vmax

Im thinking of you all, my sister lives down the Ocean, they have been getting pounded since yesterday, and of coursae she wont evacuate..My 3 kids are scattered over Harford County, we keep in constant communication with them. Our middle child is supposed to be flying down tomorrow at 9pm, I dont think its happening, Fl news is reporting that they have cancelled 77 flights already this morning, heading to the northeast.

Be safe everyone!!

It was scary last night.

The power's still on so the pump is running and we have heat...yea.

There's a 35' tree laying on my neighbors house 2 doors up but all my trees are still standing. Might escape this one ok but the State is totally hammered as you know.

I was lucky. I lost power for a few hours but not long enough to have to toss the food and it came back on before the basement flooded. I found a shingle in the yard and I think I see where it came from so its going to cost me a few bucks to have that fixed but overall I fared well.

Guest BallTMore

I honestly wouldn't have known there was a hurricane outside if the news wasn't reminding me every three seconds.

No flickering lights. I don't think my house even let out a creek.

Pretty tame in the city, but I expected that.

Oh well. At least i had off of work for two days! :)

Daughter is still without power in Joppatowne, she's freezing..Son had to drive to Richmond for a flight to here, outa BWI they said the earliest he could fly out was Saturday afternoon..Do those fuckers think that companies would extend a persons vacation at a whim?