ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Kapron Lewis-Moore

papasmurfbell

Overview

After watching Lewis-Moore stand toe-to-toe with 2012 top five pick Matt Kalil during the traditional Notre Dame-USC rivalry game, it was hard to imagine that he had detached the MCL from his right knee during the contest. The injury cost him the last half of his junior season, but the performance against Kalil and the rest of the Trojans’ offensive line earned the respect of coaches and scouts alike.

The Texas high school product had started all seven games to that point in the 2011 season, earning 32 tackles, four for loss, and 1.5 sacks. It was his third season as a starter, as he opened up all 13 games as a sophomore and nine (while playing in all 12) as a redshirt freshman. He had led Irish defensive linemen in tackles in each of those two seasons, as well, with 62 (2.5 for loss, two sacks) in 2009 and 46 (seven for loss, 2.5 sacks) in 2009. In his senior season, Lewis-Moore had recorded 40 tackles (8.5 for loss), six sacks, and two forced fumbles. In the National Championship game vs. Alabama, Lewis-Moore tore his ACL.

Analysis

Strengths Plays the three and five-technique positions well, thick build. Possesses a nice combination of strength (he can push single blocks backwards and stand up to double teams) and looks like a 270-pound end with the short-area agility to play head-up or shading the left tackle. When fresh, he’s constantly using his hands to direct his blocker or shed to make plays against the run.

Weaknesses Doesn't have ideal length. Knee injury history. Not an elite pass rusher because of a lack of explosiveness off the snap and closing speed. Tends to be on the ground more often than scouts prefer, either failing to defeat cut blocks with his hands or losing his balance after contact.

NFL Comparison Bryan Robinson

Bottom Line Lewis-Moore improved his production in his senior year, and looked to be a versatile piece that could potentially work in a rotation at 43 DT or 34 DE. However, Lewis-Moore already lacked great athletic ability, and that issue has been compounded by back to back seasons with knee injuries. A team will have to be willing to stash him away for a year as he rehabs a torn ACL he suffered in the BCS National Championship game.

I don't know....a project...a guy who needs his knees real bad but they keep blowing out. Initial burst is everything at his position.

Bad luck rests on this guy like Kindle and Dan Cody.

Hopefully Ozzie knows something we don't, but that's highly doubtful because we have knowledge things they are not wanting us to know.

I think they took a chance on him BECAUSE of the great depth we have on the DLine, but I still don't really get it... Even if we are talking about next year, we are fairly young and deep on the DLine, there isn't much PT for him if he is healthy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-rookie-year-a-healing-time-for-ravens-kapron-lewismoore-20130428,0,647687.story?track=rss

Rookie year a healing time for Ravens' Kapron Lewis-Moore

The rookie season of Ravens sixth-round defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore is shaping up as the NFL equivalent of a medical redshirt year.

It could be a season eventually spent on injured reserve after starting out on the physically unable perform list.

The Notre Dame standout tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in a national championship game loss to Alabama in January. He detached his medial collateral ligament in the same knee the previous season against USC.

"He's a guy that we're going to bring along and rehab," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "If we get something out of him in 2013, it's a plus."

With Alabama being his alma mater, Newsome was at the game where Lewis-Moore got hurt. He was already familiar with the Texas native and former blue-chip recruit because of his strong play for the Fighting Irish.

"I had already watfched him on tape," Newsome said. "We had good grades on him. We believe in our medical staff. Now with ACLs, there is predictability in his recovery. We have some players that can play the position, but if we get into the middle of the season and he's completely ready to go, there are no players on the street when you get to October and November. To be able to pull somebody like that out of the bullpen could be a bonus for us."

Given the timing of the injury, though, it's regarded as unlikely that he'll contribute much this year.

An accomplished player with 180 career tackles and a dozen sacks, Lewis-Moore underwent surgery three months ago after his latest medical setback.

"I just try to have a positive mind about it" Lewis-Moore said. "I know the knee kind of set me back a bit, but you can only control what you can control. I'm working my butt off to get right again. Obviously, you don't want to rush anything like that."

If not for the knee injuries, Lewis-Moore could have been a much higher draft pick.

Just last season, the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder had 40 tackles, 8 1/2 for losses, six sacks and two forced fumbles.

Lewis-Moore was caught off guard when the Ravens called.

"It's kind of funny becase I was actually watching the draft with two of my friends and I was just sitting there watching the picks go by," Lewis-Moore said. "I was like, 'I'm hungry, I'm going to get a sandwich,' and I got the call from Mr. Ozzie.

"Me and my agent, we were still pretty hopeful late round, but in the middle of the sixth, I was kind of surprised and losing a little hope. I was just like, 'Hey, let me go get a sandwich, whatever happens happens.' Obviously, my phone started going off. I saw the Baltimore area code and I was like, 'Whoa!' So, I had to get it together a little bit."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-rookie-year-a-healing-time-for-ravens-kapron-lewismoore-20130428,0,647687.story#ixzz2RmXKshvj

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-rookie-year-a-healing-time-for-ravens-kapron-lewismoore-20130428,0,647687.story#ixzz2RmXFslHA

I like it because Arthur Jones and Terrence Cody will be FAs in 2014. That means we have already filled a spot on the D-Line for next year with KLM.

I think they put him on the PUP to start with and if they pick up an injury mid way through the season then he might make it to the active roster. If not, he goes to IR and will be 100% for 2014.