ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens all over the White House

vmax

They took over....

Obama_Ravens_Football_0378a_image_982w.j

p060513ps-0296.jpg?itok=zSet80cJ303x235.jpg

I imagine there were times last year when these players were the only ones who knew that they’d make it here to show off this trophy,” Obama said as he stood directly in front of Ravens coach John Harbaugh, general manager Ozzie Newsome, running back Ray Rice and linebacker Terrell Suggs. “Because during the year, they lost player after player to injury. They dropped four of their last five regular-season games. In the playoffs, they trailed Denver by a touchdown with 70 yards and less than a minute to go. … And then in the Super Bowl, just when it looked like they had the momentum, the lights went out for a half hour. But these Ravens always pulled through.”

Wearing a gray suit and a purple tie, Obama, who hosted the team on a tour of the White House earlier in the day, had some fun with several Ravens. Highlighting Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Joe Flacco’s postseason accomplishments, which ultimately earned the quarterback a six-year, $120.6 million contract extension, Obama joked, “That was some good timing.

“I don’t know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite. And I’d say that if you keep on playing like that, you’re going to challenge [Vice President Joe Biden] for the most popular person from Delaware.”

Obama asked Lewis to refrain from doing the former linebacker’s patented “Squirrel” dance and ripping up the South Lawn. He then declined a request from Rice to mimic the dance. However, he went on to praise Lewis, who retired after his 17th NFL season, for going out on top. He then turned his attention to Reed, who played 11 seasons in Baltimore before leaving as a free agent in March.

“Before he left [for] Houston, where he’ll be playing next year, Ed took out a full-page ad in The Baltimore Sun to thank Ravens fans. So that’s a class act,” Obama said, turning to Reed. “I will point out, by the way, that Ed is getting some gray hair -- I’m not the old one. You’re like an old man.”

Obama then highlighted the multiple ways the Ravens are giving back to the community, including the organization’s latest commitment to donate brand new uniforms for varsity football and girls basketball teams at public schools across Baltimore. Obama said that the Ravens will make the donation to 42 teams.

“So this year, Baltimore won’t just be seeing the Ravens on Sundays or Monday night or Thursday night,” Obama said. “You’ll see their impact in high schools under Friday night lights. And that’s a testimony to the connection they feel to this city.”

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-baltimore-ravens-visit-president-barack-obama-at-white-house-20130605,0,7852668.story#ixzz2VNMbv1LW