ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

IRS parties big on our money

vmax

Faris Fink of the IRS....you can't make this kind of stuff up....

WASHINGTON — The tax official responsible for a lavish, $4.1 million conference in Anaheim apologized to Congress for spending at the conference — and for his performance as Mr. Spock in a Star Trek parody video.

"The fact of the matter is, Mr. chairman, it's embarrassing, I apologize," Faris Fink said of the two videos produced for the conference at a cost of $50,187.

Fink, the commissioner of the IRS' Small Business and Self-Employment Division, donned pointy ears for his role as the Vulcan commander on a mission to bring effective tax practices to a faraway planet. That video opened the division's conference in 2010 — the most expensive of the 225 conferences audited by the IRS's inspector general in a report this week.

"I swear to God, I have looked at that video over and over again, and I swear I do not see the redeeming value," said Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., the ranking Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, which is investigating the $49 million in conference spending by the IRS from 2010 to 2012.

He produced a copy of an e-mail between two Marriott hotel employees in Anaheim, noting that Anaheim's bid for the conference was $1 million more than Orlando. "This sounds like the hotel employees were mocking you, and even taking advantage of the IRS," Cummings said.

STORY: IRS employee conferences cost taxpayers $49 million

Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said the Internal Revenue Service was "effectively guilty of tax evasion" when it gave employees lavish presidential suites, free meals and taxpayer-paid gifts without disclosing that as income. IRS officials said some local employees ineligible for travel expenses were given revised W-2 forms reflecting their expenses as taxable income.

That Anaheim conference cost at least $4.1 million — maybe more. When the IRS' own inspector general audited the Anaheim conference, he found the documentation lacking, Inspector General J. Russell George told the committee Thursday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/06/06/irs-conferences-oversight-hearing/2395337/

"I thought they only did this in Baltimore!!!!"

1370528729000-XXX-IRS-SPENDING-hdb3161-1