ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

JJ Deal - In Sum?

dc.

So, we traded JJ - expecting a cost of about $10m this year.

Final return:

Jemile Weeks (in trade)
PTBNL (in trade)

Ryan Webb (approx. 2.5m this year)
Grant Balfour (approx 7.5m this year)

Total - just about the $10m we were "saving"

Ultimately - I guess we do "win." We have a closer of equal caliber (arguably better in some ways), another strong arm for the bullpen (which is now looking pretty formidable), and two "prospects."

Personally, I still think Weeks is just a total scrub and we'll be dumping him soon enough. But can't say we didn't get some value for that cash.

I simply suppose I was hoping we'd get something legitimately strong in return with our cash. We still have no LF, no DH, no 2B and could really use a #1 pitcher - or at least a solid #2 or #3. All those positions have a solid "fill in" crew... but none are locked down. Would love to have at least two of these spots truly FILLED, not just filled in.

With PA in charge, we are right on schedule with no major FA pickups. We"ll snatch up the leftovers after all the decent deals are done.

And there is nothing wrong with that if we compete on the field..

Just ask Yank fans this year, they are not happy with Tex, they dont get [paying a CF 153 mil over 7 years, and they dont even know who Brian Roberts is because of his lack of time he has been on the field over the past 3 years.

And there is nothing wrong with that if we compete on the field..

Just ask Yank fans this year, they are not happy with Tex, they dont get [paying a CF 153 mil over 7 years, and they dont even know who Brian Roberts is because of his lack of time he has been on the field over the past 3 years.

"if we compete" That's a big if. We're just going to have to assume this team that didn't get a wildcard this year will all compete better next year. Manny's injury won't effect him, Davis will put up the same numbers...etc...

"if we compete" That's a big if. We're just going to have to assume this team that didn't get a wildcard this year will all compete better next year. Manny's injury won't effect him, Davis will put up the same numbers...etc...

Theres nothing that has been done yet to say we wont compete, Buck is a different type of manager, hes not going to sit and wait if we get off to a slow start.

There's plenty that's been done. Don't forget who is NOT on this team this year... Hammel, Feldman, McLouth, Johnson, Roberts, Valencia... I'm sure I have forgotten a few.

So, down 40% of our rotation, 20% of our bullpen, 20% of our lineup. But its ok... David Lough and Jemile Weeks are here.

Weirder twist now... Balfour, his agents and two other docs say he is perfectly fine. They are saying the O's bailed just because. He may even file a grievance against the team. Great.

I'm inclined to believe it. It would be a new low in Angelos' attempts to fake off season moves... But I don't think he's above it in the slightest. Sounds right up our Free Agent alley and MO.

• Upvote 1

Weirder twist now... Balfour, his agents and two other docs say he is perfectly fine. They are saying the O's bailed just because. He may even file a grievance against the team. Great.

I'm inclined to believe it. It would be a new low in Angelos' attempts to fake off season moves... But I don't think he's above it in the slightest. Sounds right up our Free Agent alley and MO.

Now that I dont get, why would we bail on Balfour?

I don't get it, except it's been clear from everything else this year that Dan is not authorized to spend any money. Seriously, our two most expensive deals have been 2.5m to a reliever and 1m to Reimold. Meanwhile, we traded away a 10m contract & watched other players that were ours or we had interest in sign elsewhere. Most without so much as an offer.

Angelos is back and his wallet is closed - even though ticket sales and revenue have been up for two years and they are raising tic prices this year heavily. (It doesn't look heavy - but by years end the dynamic pricing will prove to be costing us all muchore)

Well I hope it's not true too... But it sure does seem like the same pattern and same crap as years prior.

This team CAN afford to have a few big contracts - we CAN afford to be in the market for anyone from Choo to Cano .... But Angelos doesn't want to and won't. The rules on spending are entirely arbitrary. Some sensical, but mostly about being cheap and maximizing profits. Between close location to big markets and being in division with big markets, and a massive TV deal that controls another team's media.... The on field product has nothing to do with making money.