ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Jim Johnson not doing well

vmax

It was a head scratcher when the O's let him go but now it looks like they knew what they were doing....

In what has to be one of the most stunning career reversals in recent baseball history, former Orioles closer Jim Johnson -- who saved at least 50 games in each of the past two seasons -- has been removed from that role after barely two weeks in Oakland.

Oakland Athletics manager Bob Melvin told reporters Thursday that he has decided to close games by committee until Johnson can recover from his early season struggles. The 30-year-old right-hander has appeared in five games and is 0-2 with an 18.90 ERA and just one save.

It is a shocking reversal of fortune for Johnson, who had one of the greatest all-time seasons for a closer in 2012, and last year became the first American League closer to save 50 or more games in back-to-back seasons.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-former-os-closer-jim-johnson-now-former-as-closer-too-20140410,0,2490394.story#ixzz2yWNAkQke

It will be coin flip. Like Terrence Cody, it depends on other options.

But I also think both are on the brink. If Wieters doesn't hit this year, he's just a good defensive and game calling catcher. Hard to value that. Davis meanwhile comes down to if he can repeat. If not, he's hard to spend big on .

In both cases, they each benefit from how long it's taken the O's to find even decent players in those roles...

The Orioles have been looking for a power hitting first baseman for years. Davis is that and a good guy and I think they should make a serious effort to sign him long term. Me thinks half the people saying trade him are some of the ones who will complain Angelos is cheap after they get rid of him.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles have been looking for a power hitting first baseman for years. Davis is that and a good guy and I think they should make a serious effort to sign him long term. Me thinks half the people saying trade him are some of the ones who will complain Angelos is cheap after they get rid of him.

I am quite confident Davis is gone unless he just isn't that good and other teams don't really want him.

Angelos is a cheap ba$tard. He's got a 20 track record for that. Look at the meddling in the Balfour deal. You think he's going to give Manny or any other guy 120 mil...hell no.

I would already have Manny inked to 10 yrs right now. That would take him to 31.

I am quite confident Davis is gone unless he just isn't that good and other teams don't really want him.

Oh I am not making predictions about whether he stays or goes, just stating what I think they should do.

Angelos is a cheap ba$tard. He's got a 20 track record for that. Look at the meddling in the Balfour deal. You think he's going to give Manny or any other guy 120 mil...hell no.

Color me crazy but I think he is going to be an Oriole for a long long time. I am not sure what the dollar amount will be, but I think he gets signed long term.

In his defense, Rasmus should have been out on the check swing that wasn't checked.

And we knew coming in Hunter is a fly ball pitcher. JJ gives up runs on multiple little hits that create tension. Hunter will give up fewer hits but more big hits.