ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Trading back in the draft makes sense for the Ravens

papasmurfbell

I haven't been an advocate of trading down in this year's draft because I was thinking we could get a stud player ready to play now with the 17th choice. But now I'm hearing the top 4 tackles will be gone, Clinton-Dix will be gone, Evans and Watkins will be gone. If it really plays out like that I could see us moving back in the first round. I hope it doesn't happen that way. Lately Oz hasn't been doing well after falling back.

I don't think Pryor is the safety we need. Ward is.

But hell yeah, Max. I'm counting down the days! I just want to have a first round pick who's a starter no matter where we draft in that round.

I haven't been an advocate of trading down in this year's draft because I was thinking we could get a stud player ready to play now with the 17th choice. But now I'm hearing the top 4 tackles will be gone, Clinton-Dix will be gone, Evans and Watkins will be gone. If it really plays out like that I could see us moving back in the first round. I hope it doesn't happen that way. Lately Oz hasn't been doing well after falling back.

I don't think Pryor is the safety we need. Ward is.

But hell yeah, Max. I'm counting down the days! I just want to have a first round pick who's a starter no matter where we draft in that round.

the cards are seeming to fall against us right? But this draft is rich, I can't wait myself! If we move back, I just want good value and still a great great first pick. Ed Reed wasn't top 20. So this may be the draft to find that type of star late in the first. Maybe not an Ed Reed, that's once in a gen great, but an impact guy.

The thing about this draft is there are about 12-15 first round prospects that I would class as top ten talent. Unless one of those falls to us at 17 we are "stuck" with a group of the 16-50 top prospects that are all grouped so closely together that it's hard to not call the 50th guy a 1st round prospect.

That means a trade down is not really a bad option. We will still get a 1st round prospect and pick up another top 100 pick. Again the guys from 51-100 are going to be starter material in this incredibly deep draft. Ozzie has said himself they have 180 draftable prospects compared to the normal 140-150. That is an extra round of talent. Guys that would go in the 2nd round most drafts will still be available in the 4th! Getting as many picks in the top 100 is important.

Having a good draft this year could set us up for another run of 5 consecutive years in the playoffs.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-gm-explains-decision-not-to-trade-back/article_bd492c5a-d747-11e3-9f32-001a4bcf887a.html

Ravens GM explains decision not to trade back

OWINGS MILLS — Several hours before the NFL draft started Thursday night, the Baltimore Ravens’ primary decision makers discussed trading back in the first round.

There was interest. “We always have interest in moving back,” Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said later. But it would have taken an overwhelming offer for Baltimore to give up the 17th overall pick, and that offer never came.

In recent weeks, the Ravens had gotten calls from teams interested in trading up to acquire the pick, and they received calls for the first four minutes they were on the clock Thursday. But eventually, the phone stopped ringing and the Ravens decided to keep the pick and take Alabama inside linebacker C.J. Mosley.

“What happens is, when we got to our pick, we went on the clock, the phones were ringing and we were taking all the calls,” Newsome said. “And when we knew we had a player that was rated higher than where he was getting picked, we were willing to accept all the calls and see if we could get a bonanza. That bonanza never came, the phones stopped ringing, and at that point we called C.J.”

Newsome said Baltimore received offers for the pick. However, as he put it, “Nothing came close to what we felt like the value was for us to move back that far.”