ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It's Early But Still Good to Hear

oldno82

On Joe picking up and executing Kubiak's offense:

"By Jon Meoli The Baltimore Sun

6:28 p.m. EDT, July 26, 2014
Offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak singled out quarterback Joe Flacco for his leadership in learning the Ravens' new offense Saturday, and said he's “very impressed” with the team's grasp of his schemes so far in training camp.
“It's kind of the third time we're going through our system, teaching it, and I think they've adjusted very well, but the most important thing is [Flacco] has adjusted extremely well,” Kubiak said. “He's got to lead the pack. He's done that from day one. He's got total command of what's going on right now.”
Kubiak said Flacco has excelled in the short passing game, which the coordinator attributed to his commitment to learning the footwork required of the different route progressions Flacco has to go through.
“His ability to go through progressions, to me, is exceptional,” Kubiak said. “Obviously, we've got to cut the sacks down a great deal this year. It's a big point of emphasis. The best way to do that is with your quarterback getting rid of the ball.”
Through three days of camp, Flacco has found plenty of open targets on short and intermediate routes. He also has shown he can handle the play-action and bootlegs expected of him in Kubiak's offense.
Kubiak, who coached Houston from 2006 to 2013, said three former Texans — tight end Owen Daniels, wide receiver Jacoby Jones and running back Justin Forsett — have been like “coaches on the field” for the Ravens, helping teammates learn the system quickly.
Kubiak also said running back Ray Rice and guard Marshall Yanda are “ahead of everyone else” in their knowledge of the scheme.
“That's the way it should be,” he said.
jmeoli@baltsun.com
www.twitter.com/jonmeoli

Good to hear.

Since it's early, they can build on this.

I hear Torry Smith is even better this year with his ball skills and route running.

I hear Pierce is running real strong in this system.

The potential is there but it all depends on the line.

Offensive Coordinator Gary Kubiak wants to be able to talk easily with quarterback Joe Flacco.

New Ravens Offensive Coordinator Gary Kubiak has made his decision on where he will call plays from.

He’ll be down on the field, in the thick of the action, with a direct line of communication to quarterback Joe Flacco.

“I’ve done it for the last eight years, and I have [quarterbacks coach] Rick Dennison up in the box with me, so it’s a rhythm; something I’ve been doing,” Kubiak said.

“I’ll be down there with Joe so that I know I’m there when he comes off the field so we can talk. That’s what we’re doing right now, building that relationship, and I see that continuing that way.”http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Gary-Kubiak-Will-Call-Plays-From-The-Field/a241e9ec-6ce0-4ce0-94c3-9701d759109f

Kubiak says Joe is a perfect fit for this offense....

Despite being a lanky 6-foot-6 quarterback, Flacco is surprisingly athletic.

Kubiak saw Flacco from the other sideline as the former head coach of the Houston Texans. He said he knew he was a tall, big-armed quarterback. But there’s more to Flacco than just that.

“I had no idea how good an athlete he is. He’s a very good athlete,” Kubiak said.

That’s a good thing, because Kubiak’s offense works best with a quarterback that can move.

Play-action passes, particularly thrown on bootlegs, are a staple of Kubiak’s offense.The numbers show that Flacco has done well using the play-action pass during his career. Last season, he had a 90.7 quarterback rating when using the play action, compared to a 70.3 rating with no play action.“The things we like to do moving around, the zone-pass schemes that we like to run, I think fit to a lot of his strengths,” Kubiak said. “We just need to continue to get better with them.”

Flacco is actually one of the better overall athletes on the team.

He’s a former baseball player who mashed home runs at cornerback Lardarius Webb’s charity home run derby. Flacco is an avid and good golfer. He also averaged a career-high 4.9 yards per carry last season (131 yards on 27 attempts).

But what makes Flacco an NFL quarterback is the cannon attached to his right shoulder. Kubiak has gained more of an appreciation for Flacco’s arm, which will come into play at the end of some of those roll-outs and bootlegs.

“I knew [his arm] was good, but I had no idea just how good it was,” Kubiak said. “The big ball is always in play with Joe. … This league is about making big plays. It’s hard [when you go] three or four yards a pop to do it. You have to make some big plays, and Joe gives you the ability to do that.”http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Joe-Flacco-A-Better-Athlete-Than-Gary-Kubiak-Thought/3910a84e-4873-46ed-9e3e-a733cc888b42

Good be a great partnership. :gorave: