ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

ESPN 's Chris Carter

varaven45

Nothing that we havent already heard as nauseum, but Carter chimed in on Ravens-

* Our D is not the best anymore - its now the Jets

* Our team is no longer built around D but Flacco

* Amazed our team accomplishjed as much w/o a playmaker

* We are just 1-2 playmaker WRs from being an elite team

Cant argue with him. My reactions:

* Our D is only missing a bonafide tandem at CB, perhaps S (if Reed retires)

* Our D is still a strength, its just more balanced now - strong D , strong O

* Equally amazed by our success w/o playmaker

* Ozzie - get the playmaker - I dont care : Vincent jackson, Miles Austin, just get em !

This needs to be a productive offseason - more so than in the past.

Cant argue with him. My reactions:

* Our D is only missing a bonafide tandem at CB, perhaps S (if Reed retires)

* Our D is still a strength, its just more balanced now - strong D , strong O

* Equally amazed by our success w/o playmaker

* Ozzie - get the playmaker - I dont care : Vincent jackson, Miles Austin, just get em !

This needs to be a productive offseason - more so than in the past.

I'm on the same page as you varaven.

Without Revis Rex's D is no better than the Ravens. The Ravens need solid, dependable corners. I really believe it would have been a different story if Webb played. Now I wonder if he can come back just as strong to help out next season.

Ray Rice is a Playmaker...so is Flacco if he had receivers (other than Mason). Webb...Foxworth can be. Reed is a playmaker.

The lines are solid.

This team has a solid core to build around....but they have to get the additional pieces to make this an elite team. You can bet the rest of the AFC and AFC North will improve this off season.

Harbaugh and his coaches got all they could out of what they had...amazing they got this far.

Our defense was not the best in the league last year either, the Steelers were. Carter is merely stating the stats, I doubt this is some kind of passing the torch. I expect both the Ravens and the Jets to be up near the top of the league in defense again next season. All we need to do is add to our secondary and pass rush and we should be fine, this should not be hard for Ozzie to do.

Our defense was not the best in the league last year either, the Steelers were. Carter is merely stating the stats, I doubt this is some kind of passing the torch. I expect both the Ravens and the Jets to be up near the top of the league in defense again next season. All we need to do is add to our secondary and pass rush and we should be fine, this should not be hard for Ozzie to do.

Agreed. the basic foundation is in place but this team had got to make signficant improvements in both pass offense and defense. This team's success in 20101 will be largely predicated on the improvement in those areas.

Go Ozzie !!!!

I would be willing to say that getting a pass rusher is just as important as getting CB help. Tight-end is also another position we need help at.

While I do agree that we need a better pass rush, I'm not sure if that person can be drafted. It seems like getting pressure has more to do with blitzing schemes and snap-count-anticipation than anything. Yes, once in a blue moon you land a guy like LT, pre-steroids-bust-Merriman, or pre-steroids-bust-Peppers, but most of the guys turn out more like Vernon Gholston on the bad end, Terrell Suggs on the high end, or Antwan Barnes in between.

Cover-corners, on the other hand... it would be nice just to get a guy who was fast, could tackle, could stay healthy, and could time a hit to avoid pass interference. Are those traits really that rare? I'm not asking for the anticipation, awareness, and leaping ability of Revis...just give me a guy who can play 16 games a year and not get flagged every one of them.

While I do agree that we need a better pass rush, I'm not sure if that person can be drafted. It seems like getting pressure has more to do with blitzing schemes and snap-count-anticipation than anything. Yes, once in a blue moon you land a guy like LT, pre-steroids-bust-Merriman, or pre-steroids-bust-Peppers, but most of the guys turn out more like Vernon Gholston on the bad end, Terrell Suggs on the high end, or Antwan Barnes in between.

Cover-corners, on the other hand... it would be nice just to get a guy who was fast, could tackle, could stay healthy, and could time a hit to avoid pass interference. Are those traits really that rare? I'm not asking for the anticipation, awareness, and leaping ability of Revis...just give me a guy who can play 16 games a year and not get flagged every one of them.

Exactly. If Revis' play has taught anyone anything it should be that having a shutdown corner that allows you to blitz and still help out on the other side is the 2nd most valuable thing to have next to a stud QB.

I have to say that I'm not sure that DB is a priority. Foxworth has really stepped up and Webb looks like he can be very good. Don't we have Washington coming back as well? Washington is very good as well. I honestly think that we need to rush the passer more effectively and we'll find that our coverage will improve tremendously.

On offense, there can be no denying what we need. We absolutely need a playmaking WR. However I really hope that if we pursure that playmaker via free agency, that we don't end up with someone that is the product of a system and not truely gifted. (Azhakim, etc.) It would really suck to pay the money for the guy and end up with just another Mark Clayton. Speaking of him, what a disappointment. He was supposed to be a run after the catch guy and extremely polished as a receiver coming out of college, and has had ample opportunity with multiple QBs to prove he can be something in this league. It's too bad, I really had high hopes for this guy.

I do not want to address the WR position throught the draft exclusively. Never a good idea to expect a WR to come in and compete immediately. I certainly think we should draft a couple, but in addition to some sort of free agent acquisition. God forbid we hang our hats on a draft pick and end up with a Heyward-Bey. Not that the guy may not be very special, but he certainly wasn't his rookie season. We need impact sooner rather than later as this team can win now.