ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Looking toward the draft

colincac

I cant find the kid on any draft board..Cant wait to see him at the combine.

Nice little write up

http://www.nfldraftd...-alexander.html

ESPN has him ranked as the 14th best receiver. Wow, this kid is a long strider, he eats up ground. He is definitely going to have to put on some size, he has a very lanky build. I like his raw ability though, some nice moves for a tall guy. I am not sure if that would work in the NFL, but you have to like his willingness to pick up YAC. Here is a Senior Bowl write-up on Alexander:

01/25/10 - Senior Bowl, Monday: Missouri's Danario Alexander's 6-5, 221-pound frame was impressive in the morning weigh-in, but prevented him from performing well in a four-cone drill as he struggled to stop and cut around the cones in a fluid manner. His hands weren't much better, as he could not extend for the ball on good throws or adjust to poor passes. Alexander did use his big body to shield cornerback Devin McCourty from the ball over the middle, and got the Rutgers product to mug him on a stop-and-go route in one-on-one drills. Alexander and Gilyard also took their time getting off the line of scrimmage, which wasn't a problem because the corners didn't play a lot of press on the first day. But both striders will have trouble getting separation at the next level. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75582&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

The above report is very Clarence Moore-like. The college production is impressive, but his draft stock is likely to be heavily determined by his combine performance. He doesn't seem like he is going to put up impressive 40 or short shuttle times.

If any of these guys are available in the 4th round then we got to pick 1 of them up:

Jacoby Ford (Could be the quickest player in the draft but is another "small" WR)

Riley Cooper (6-4 target that I thought was going to play baseball but has committed to football now. He was a great target for Tebow this season and I would love for us to take him)

Danarrio Alexander (Another big target. Needs to learn to run routes better but can fight for the ball in the air and would be a big target in the red zone for Flacco)

IMO, we absolutely have to come out of this draft with a high pick (either by trade or selection) and then a mid round pick like the 3 above. I would only pick Ford if we have picked a big receiver like Dez Bryant or Arrelious Benn in the first couple of rounds.

If any of these guys are available in the 4th round then we got to pick 1 of them up:

Jacoby Ford (Could be the quickest player in the draft but is another "small" WR)

Riley Cooper (6-4 target that I thought was going to play baseball but has committed to football now. He was a great target for Tebow this season and I would love for us to take him)

Danarrio Alexander (Another big target. Needs to learn to run routes better but can fight for the ball in the air and would be a big target in the red zone for Flacco)

IMO, we absolutely have to come out of this draft with a high pick (either by trade or selection) and then a mid round pick like the 3 above. I would only pick Ford if we have picked a big receiver like Dez Bryant or Arrelious Benn in the first couple of rounds.

Small-and-fast isn't a bad thing; QB's can be successful with all small-and-fast guys. It's an offense full of small-and-slow guys who can't get open who are the ones you want to avoid. That and big-but-can't-catch guys (Clarence Moore, Demetrius Williams)

Big guys who can catch will have much more success in the NFL, especially in the red zone, which is what we need at this point.

Cooper and Hernandez were pretty much Florida's offense this year, aside from Tebow.

Funny you guys start mentioning Cooper, I think he would be a PERFECT fit for Joe. He is a big, physical target with strong hands. He is a solid route runner and knows who how to get open. He has a large catching radius and extends to make catches, which means Joe does not have to be as accurate as he does with the smaller Mason and Clayton, which in turn hopefully leads to Joe being more comfortable throwing the ball over the middle when he has such a receiver. I see Cooper as one of those guys who will get knocked on for not being great at any one thing, but will end up having a productive NFL career because he is good at everything. I am thinking he is in the mold of a Hines Ward/Anquan Boldin. IMO, Cooper seems like a Raven. Here is a Scouts, Inc. Senior Bowl write-up on Cooper:

Cooper, McCluster impress on Day 2

South Team: Good Days

Florida WR Riley Cooper -- We've been impressed with Cooper over the first two days of practice. He is not the fastest receiver here, but he showed good tempo in his routes, was sudden in and out of his breaks and used his hands well to keep defenders off his frame. Cooper also did a good job gaining initial leverage before separating from man coverage, and he displayed good body control when opening up and snatching balls outside his frame. Cooper made maybe the play of the day when he made a nice one-handed catch over his shoulder with South Florida DB Jerome Murphy all over him.

nfl_ua_cooper_200.jpg

Hands, body control and good routes have been Riley Cooper's strengths.

It seems like the Ravens were watching Riley as well:

Ravens Eye Wideouts at Senior Bowl

Perhaps the receiver who is helping his draft stock the most is Florida's Riley Cooper. Cooper has a great physical build at just over 6-foot-3 and 214 pounds, and might just be the complete package.

Cooper became a favorite target of Tim Tebow, catching nine touchdowns in his senior season. He is also an accomplished baseball player that signed a contract with the Texas Rangers. However, Cooper has decided that he will focus on football and leave baseball behind. Riley has been drawing a lot of attention at the Senior Bowl, running fluid routes and working all areas of the field.

Ravens director of player personnel Eric DeCosta and coach John Harbaugh were observed watching Cooper closely in receiver drills on Tuesday's South team practice.

BTW, watch for Cooper at the combine, he seems very confident about his speed. With his size, if he puts up 40 numbers like he expects, he could be a solid second rounder:

He said he has received indications he would be drafted anywhere from the second to the fourth round, but figures he has more speed than NFL teams think. “They’ve got me down as a 4.5 in my 40,” Cooper said. “The way I look at it is, all I can do is go up. I’m not a 4.5.” The 6-foot-3, 214-pounder plans to run it again at the NFL combine.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=64853&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

NFLDraftScout has Cooper's 40 projected as a 4.49, with a low of a 4.37 and a high of 4.62. Here are nice highlight videos of Cooper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1KagXIaQxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFI2X64YoQ

Funny you guys start mentioning Cooper, I think he would be a PERFECT fit for Joe. He is a big, physical target with strong hands. He is a solid route runner and knows who how to get open. He has a large catching radius and extends to make catches, which means Joe does not have to be as accurate as he does with the smaller Mason and Clayton, which in turn hopefully leads to Joe being more comfortable throwing the ball over the middle when he has such a receiver. I see Cooper as one of those guys who will get knocked on for not being great at any one thing, but will end up having a productive NFL career because he is good at everything. I am thinking he is in the mold of a Hines Ward/Anquan Boldin. IMO, Cooper seems like a Raven. Here is a Scouts, Inc. Senior Bowl write-up on Cooper:

It seems like the Ravens were watching Riley as well:

BTW, watch for Cooper at the combine, he seems very confident about his speed. With his size, if he puts up 40 numbers like he expects, he could be a solid second rounder:

NFLDraftScout has Cooper's 40 projected as a 4.49, with a low of a 4.37 and a high of 4.62. Here are nice highlight videos of Cooper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1KagXIaQxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFI2X64YoQ

Riley Cooper reminds me alot of Joe Jurevicious.

Funny you guys start mentioning Cooper, I think he would be a PERFECT fit for Joe.

I agree with you cleetz. He would be a great fit with the Ravens. I hadn't mentioned him before because I was sure he was going to play Baseball. I really liked what I saw out of him at Florida this season. I also really like Hernandez his team mate as a receiving TE.

Not saying with our 25th pick..But

http://espn.go.com/n...playerId=191583

Now when you say his numbers arent good for the first 3 years, consider he was behind Macklin and Saunders..This guy exploded this year as the featured WR.

From Scouts Inc's Senior Bowl blog on ESPN.com:

North team: bad days

Missouri WR Danario Alexander -- Alexander has good size (6-4, 221 pounds) and threw his weight around at times, but he also had a hard time sinking his hips and getting in and out of cuts. He is not nearly as fluid as fellow North receivers Jacoby Ford and Mardy Gilyard, and we also have concerns about his hands. Alexander beat California CB Syd'Quan Thompson down the field during one-on-one drills and elevated to go after the jump ball, but the pass bounced off his hands. Alexander has to make that play and make more plays in traffic. He did flash the ability to shield the ball from defenders but his overall receiving skills need work.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4863148

Another Scouts Inc blog:

"A tough week continues for Missouri WR Danario Alexander, who looked stiff getting in and out of the bags during individual work and also dropped one pass and body-caught another."

And a few of the other guys:

"Florida WR Riley Cooper continues to show strong hands. He snatched the ball out of the air with a nice one-handed catch."

"Clemson WR Jacoby Ford is finding seams in zone coverage and he beat Boise State CB Kyle Wilson over the top in 1-on-1s. Ford's big-play ability is finally showing up but he dropped another pass and hands continue to be an issue."

"Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard got off the line better than any other wideout duping 1-on-1 drills against press coverage. He beat both Ohio State S Kurt Coleman and Virginia CB Chris Cook cleanly."

"We're looking for a little more consistency from Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard today. He has shown good quickness during the week but he dropped too many balls on Day 2 and has to clean that up."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4862497

I wonder is Force knows anything about WR Mike Williams of Syracuse. He seems like an interestering prospect.

Mike Williams is a nuisance who doesn't deserve to be on an NFL roster.

He was dismissed from school for a year because of academic dishonesty, he was suspended for a game for violating team rules, and then quit the team when threatened with another suspension just two weeks later.

Yes, he made Greg Paulus look like Colt McCoy for awhile. He was also on pace to break every Syracuse receiving record. But he's the most immature good player coming out of college in a very long time.

He was dismissed from school for a year because of academic dishonesty, he was suspended for a game for violating team rules, and then quit the team when threatened with another suspension just two weeks later.

Yes, he made Greg Paulus look like Colt McCoy for awhile. He was also on pace to break every Syracuse receiving record. But he's the most immature good player coming out of college in a very long time.

So basically what you're saying is, he would make the perfect target for JaMarcus Russell. Sounds like an Al Davis type of guy. Look for Oakland to pick him up early.

Thanks for the info. Aren't all the best WRs trouble though? It certainly sounds like he is talented.

Maybe if Mark Clayton started running his mouth, he'd learn how to beat press coverage.

I know you are joking, but there is more to what you are saying than you mean to let on. Did you hear Clayton's quote at the end of the season? Someone asked him what the team needed to do to get better, and he said something along the lines of "obviously we need a playmaker at receiver." How can you expect to play WR in this league if you do not think you can step up and be that guy? I don't care if you are a fourth string receiver, you should always have confidence that you can step up and make a play (for example, Kelly Washington was asked this same question and expressed his frustration of his lack of PT). Travis Taylor had that same passive attitude as Clayton. Clayton's quote took me directly back 2003 when our trade for TO was voided, a reporter asked TT if he thought someone on the team could step up as the go-to-guy. Basically Taylor said he didn't know, and Anthony Wright had to jump in the interview and yell "You be that guy to step up!" If Mark Clayton doesn't think he is a legit receiver, how can anyone else think he is?

Running your mouth is one thing, but having a little cockiness to your game is not a bad thing by any means. How come everyone encouraged Flacco to tear out his OC on the sideline, but when a guy like TO or Moss does it they are a cancer? The denominator is the same in both cases, everyone wants to make plays and win. That is why taking a risk on grumpy receivers is justified, because you should expect to win. If you win, there will be no reason for guys to complain, such as the case with Moss and the Pats. Guys like Clayton and Taylor could seem to care less.

Actually, no.... this is why racism exist people like you choose to bring up things that have nothing to do with racism and for that you can eat shit.

I was mostly joking, but you have to admit that it's somewhat racist that people refer to white receivers as "Wes Welker-types" and "Joe Jurevicius" types, and black quarterbacks as "Michael Vick-types" and "Donovan McNabb-types". The only time I ever hear black quarterbacks compared to white quarterbacks is when comparisons are being drawn to Ryan Leaf. (read: JaMarcus Russell)

I know you are joking, but there is more to what you are saying than you mean to let on. Did you hear Clayton's quote at the end of the season? Someone asked him what the team needed to do to get better, and he said something along the lines of "obviously we need a playmaker at receiver." How can you expect to play WR in this league if you do not think you can step up and be that guy? I don't care if you are a fourth string receiver, you should always have confidence that you can step up and make a play (for example, Kelly Washington was asked this same question and expressed his frustration of his lack of PT). Travis Taylor had that same passive attitude as Clayton. Clayton's quote took me directly back 2003 when our trade for TO was voided, a reporter asked TT if he thought someone on the team could step up as the go-to-guy. Basically Taylor said he didn't know, and Anthony Wright had to jump in the interview and yell "You be that guy to step up!" If Mark Clayton doesn't think he is a legit receiver, how can anyone else think he is?

A side-effect of talking trash is that you create expectations for yourself that you must then work to achieve. Someone who talks themselves up is then forcing himself to meet those requirements, as to avoid looking like a fool. By making the comment that the team needs a playmaking receiver, Clayton is relieving himself of the expectation that he himself is a playmaker, and is essentially putting it on the front office to find one, rather than putting it on himself to become one.

How come everyone encouraged Flacco to tear out his OC on the sideline, but when a guy like TO or Moss does it they are a cancer? The denominator is the same in both cases, everyone wants to make plays and win.

The difference between QB-frustration and WR-frustration is that WR-frustration generally stems from "not getting the ball". Since QB's start with the ball on every play, QB-frustration is generally based on WR drops, bad playcalls, punting in 4th-and-short situations, and being-pulled-out-of-the-game-when-you-have-the-opportunity-to-cement-your-legacy-with-an-undefeated-season-while-also-closing-the-gap-between-yourself-and-Tom-Brady-as-"best-quarterback-of-your-generation".

A side-effect of talking trash is that you create expectations for yourself that you must then work to achieve. Someone who talks themselves up is then forcing himself to meet those requirements, as to avoid looking like a fool. By making the comment that the team needs a playmaking receiver, Clayton is relieving himself of the expectation that he himself is a playmaker, and is essentially putting it on the front office to find one, rather than putting it on himself to become one.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying if I had to choose between a cocky guy with confidence and someone he is rolling over on his side and is happy with 400 yards of receiving, give me the cocky mofo. The bottom line is that Clayton is a #1 pick, he doesn't have that luxury of relieving himself of expectations. He needs to be doing whatever he can to be the player we thought he was going to be as a first rounder.

The difference between QB-frustration and WR-frustration is that WR-frustration generally stems from "not getting the ball". Since QB's start with the ball on every play, QB-frustration is generally based on WR drops, bad playcalls, punting in 4th-and-short situations, and being-pulled-out-of-the-game-when-you-have-the-opportunity-to-cement-your-legacy-with-an-undefeated-season-while-also-closing-the-gap-between-yourself-and-Tom-Brady-as-"best-quarterback-of-your-generation".

I wish one of our receivers would demand the "damn ball." Our guys seem more than content with letting the ball bounce of their hands.

In my opinion, it all comes down to winning. If you win, this stuff does not happen. That is why trading for a grumpy receiver is justified, we are expecting to win. A little WR frustration here and there would not be a bad thing. Joe is a big boy and can more than take care of himself. The team respects him, and I am certain he would not take crap. As for Cam, I am sure you would agree with me Spear in that Cam gets way too conservative at times. Would it really be a bad thing to have a superstar receiver yelling at him to come out of his cave? It might open up the playbook a little.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying if I had to choose between a cocky guy with confidence and someone he is rolling over on his side and is happy with 400 yards of receiving, give me the cocky mofo. The bottom line is that Clayton is a #1 pick, he doesn't have that luxury of relieving himself of expectations. He needs to be doing whatever he can to be the player we thought he was going to be as a first rounder.

Oh, you took my tone all wrong... I was ripping on Clayton for what he did, not defending it. I'm saying that creating expectations for yourself makes you work harder to prove yourself (good for the team) and deflecting expectations gives you room to slack off (bad for the team).

I'd definitely love to see a fiery guy in there at receiver to get Joe riled up. When you hear about all of the time Manning spends working with his receivers on his own time, it's no wonder he's nearly flawless on the field. At the very least, you always know that a trash-talking guy puts his on-field performance as a priority, and is likely working around-the-clock to prove himself.

I was mostly joking, but you have to admit that it's somewhat racist that people refer to white receivers as "Wes Welker-types" and "Joe Jurevicius" types, and black quarterbacks as "Michael Vick-types" and "Donovan McNabb-types". The only time I ever hear black quarterbacks compared to white quarterbacks is when comparisons are being drawn to Ryan Leaf. (read: JaMarcus Russell)

What black wr is like Wes Welker and what black qb is Chad Pennington? It's not racist to make comparisons that are logical. Most black qbs are athletic, strong-armed and runners. Most white wrs are considered slower possesion type wrs. It's not racist, it's reality.

What black wr is like Wes Welker and what black qb is Chad Pennington? It's not racist to make comparisons that are logical. Most black qbs are athletic, strong-armed and runners. Most white wrs are considered slower possesion type wrs. It's not racist, it's reality.

People lose their jobs every day for comments far less 'racist' than what you just said here. Even if it were true, it is considered racist in our society to point out differences between persons of varying skin-pigment.

That said, the games of Jeff Garcia, Steve Young, and Rich Gannon are not entirely unlike those of McNabb, McNair, and Vince Young, though you rarely hear this comparison made. And there are certainly sure-handed, shifty, quick receivers who play like Wes Welker - (i.e. Davone Bess) you just don't hear about them as much because there are fewer physical similarities.