ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Looking toward the draft

colincac

A reputation for inconsistency has followed Florida State CB Patrick Robinson throughout his career and he's living up to it today. He got beaten deep by Florida WR Riley Cooper on one play and then on the very next play jumped a slant route and broke up the pass.

Robinson sounds like a perfect fit here in Baltimore. He appears to be the prototypical "Ravens-type" player that we've been looking for in our secondary for the past few years.

Michigan DE/OLB Brandon Graham -- Graham showed an explosive first step on Day 4, exploding out of his stance and staying low. His positioning and technique were impressive and he did a good job closing down cutback lanes and getting down the line in pursuit. Graham also showed discipline when he stayed home on a reverse. His effort was outstanding, as well, and on a day when the players are in shorts and helmets and it's easy to gear down, Graham showed that he is ready to take the next step and become a professional football player.

As I've said before, Graham is my guy going into this draft.

Troy DE Brandon Lang -- It's hard for a defensive lineman to jump out in a no-pads practice, but Lang did just that in a coverage drill when he flipped his hips and quickly got to his drop point before finishing impressively by going up and high-pointing a ball thrown above his head. During the team period Lang showed active hands and a strong upper body and it was apparent he was paying attention to detail and working on his technique. Like Michigan DE Brandon Graham during the North practice, it is apparent Lang is ready to become a pro.

What black wr is like Wes Welker and what black qb is Chad Pennington? It's not racist to make comparisons that are logical. Most black qbs are athletic, strong-armed and runners. Most white wrs are considered slower possesion type wrs. It's not racist, it's reality.

How many receivers are like Wes Welker in general? Anyways, a black WR that is like Wes Welker is Davone Bess of the Dolphins. He plays a very similar game. I am not going to get into the topic of stereotypes. However, I do think that game style is influenced by where you are taught to play. Just from my football experience, inner-city kids play a different type of game than suburb kids. Suburb kids play different than rural kids. Race can be associated with this as people grow up in different communities, but it is not universal. I would say where you grow up has to do more with the type of game you play than your race.

Please no on Clarence Moore version II. Ramses Barden didn't exactly tear it up last season.

I'm okay with taking a flier on a one-dimensional guy like Danario in the 3rd-5th rounds. Maybe he'll fill out that frame and reach more of a Vincent-Jackson-potential. But I'd feel much more comfortable with a guy like Demaryius Thomas from GA Tech.

Please no on Clarence Moore version II. Ramses Barden didn't exactly tear it up last season.

Little harsh there Mr Cleet, considering the season Dinaro had last year.

He had a good year, but so did Ramses Barden and Clarence Moore their senior years (granted they played FCS). I am just going by what the scouting reports are saying on Alexander at the Senior Bowl. It sounds like he is very stiff in his movements and has shakey hands. That does not sound like a good combination. I doubt his 40 time will be as good as Moore's was.

He had a good year, but so did Ramses Barden and Clarence Moore their senior years (granted they played FCS). I am just going by what the scouting reports are saying on Alexander at the Senior Bowl. It sounds like he is very stiff in his movements and has shakey hands. That does not sound like a good combination. I doubt his 40 time will be as good as Moore's was.

A 6'5 guy shouldn't need a quick 40 to get open, because he can catch the ball 8 inches higher than DeSean Jackson can. I'm not talking about a jumping grab in the endzone; I'm talking about any route over the middle that can be thrown high enough to clear the dropping linebacker and the safety-in-the-box. That's how 6'2 guys get open on slants... they pluck high balls out of the air in stride and turn upfield. If that ball is thrown lower, there's no window there. Tall guys create more passing lanes for QB's, especially 6'6 ones like Flacco.

"Brandon Graham, OLB/DE, Michigan

Graham has been rushing with his hand on the ground but he told me most teams talking to him see him as a weakside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He rushed with a good combination of speed and power and, at 263 pounds, could be a strongside OLB. Some compare him to Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley, but when I asked him about the comparison he was clearly his own guy. He is a solid, fundamental player who takes the game very seriously."

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?id=09000d5d815fb318&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

If this guy is even close to the pass-rushing threat that Woodley is, you have to take him at 25. In Woodley's 3 seasons in Pittsburgh, he has 4, 11.5, and 13.5 sacks.

Hop aboard the BG-train, everybody!

Graham was a monster all week in the Senior Bowl practices and I think he was the game MVP as well. Of all the players there he improved his stock the most and I would be surprised now if he makes it anywhere near the 20s.

However, as 1 player moves up another player drops.

Graham was a monster all week in the Senior Bowl practices and I think he was the game MVP as well. Of all the players there he improved his stock the most and I would be surprised now if he makes it anywhere near the 20s.

However, as 1 player moves up another player drops.

:-( Quite possible, unfortunately. On the positive side, there are several junior defensive ends who were rated higher than Graham going into the week, so if Graham moves up, one of them are likely to slide. Also from the Senior Bowl: Mardy Gilyard. Did he solidify a spot in the 1st round?

I keep hearing about this dude "Shipley" from Texas- supposed to be the next Wes Welker. ESPN's Colin Cowherd is foaming at the mouth about this guy. Maybe he will be around in the 2nd or 3rd round, after we draft our WR in the 1st round.

If we can get one of those WR's in first round, a FA WR, bring back Mason, and then maybe a Shipley, we might have an offense.

:-( Quite possible, unfortunately. On the positive side, there are several junior defensive ends who were rated higher than Graham going into the week, so if Graham moves up, one of them are likely to slide. Also from the Senior Bowl: Mardy Gilyard. Did he solidify a spot in the 1st round?

All reports had Gilyard having an up and down week in practice. He dropped a lot of balls but also did a nice job of getting open. Still looks like a 2nd round pick that could end up anywhere in that round.

Here is a very interesting topic from an insider over on the Ravens board at the Orioles Hangout:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92846

Apparantly "Brandon Graham told everyone at the Senior Bowl that he wants to come to Baltimore."

Of course he wants to be a Raven! There are very few defensive 'brand names' in the NFL... Ravens, Steelers... and that's about it. A few teams, like the Bucs and Giants, have had runs at great defenses, but when you are drafted by Baltimore, it means something different.