ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Rex Ryan and Bart Scott

varaven45

After the 2nd half smackdown from Peyton and the Colts, Rex and Bart Scott sure were quiet in the postgame. I know the Rex and Scott supporters will argue, but I still say you are better off shutting up/playing the game.

There is something to said for humility in sports. I know Rex and Bart wont change - its their mindset and they feed off it - but they still got a little lesson yesterday.

but I still say you are better off shutting up/playing the game.

There is something to said for humility in sports.

I know people will disagree, but I'm not one of them. It is one of things that I couldn't stand about the Ravens as a team, especially the last decade. Slowly, but surely, the loud mouths of the Ravens have left. In the weeks leading up to the 2000 Superbowl, I remember thinking to myself that the Ravens had better win because they've done enough trash-talking to embarrass themselves for a lifetime if they didn't. There are a few holdouts still, but as I watched the build-up to this past weekend's games, it struck me that Ryan was probably instrumental in a lot of that attitude. Confidence is one thing, attitude quite another.

I know people will disagree, but I'm not one of them. It is one of things that I couldn't stand about the Ravens as a team, especially the last decade. Slowly, but surely, the loud mouths of the Ravens have left. In the weeks leading up to the 2000 Superbowl, I remember thinking to myself that the Ravens had better win because they've done enough trash-talking to embarrass themselves for a lifetime if they didn't. There are a few holdouts still, but as I watched the build-up to this past weekend's games, it struck me that Ryan was probably instrumental in a lot of that attitude. Confidence is one thing, attitude quite another.

Dee,

With all due respect, attitude and humility arent mutually exclusive.

You can have both. I just got tired of listening to Bart's occasional rants, only to have stuck his foot in his mouth later.

Johnny Unitas played with a shut up and play "attitude" but still maintained a certain humility.

I know old school is gone (with a few excpetions). But I still appreciate the coach and player who produces and wins w/o all the fanfare and self gratitude.

Hopefully, Harbaugh will continue to cultivate that attitude.

With all due respect, attitude and humility arent mutually exclusive.

No disrespect taken. :) I don't believe they aren't mutually exclusive, but there are degrees and in the past, the Ravens (the most vocal of them) showed an unbearable amount of undesirable (at least for me) attitude.

Guest BallTMore

I don't mind the talking, to a point. You just can't take it seriously.

I'm sure the old-school players talked just as much trash, they just couldn't dance as well as players today. lol

What were to old-school guys going to do? Make a touchdown and bust out a fox-trot? It just wouldn't fit in.

Today we have great dances, like the stanky leg! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsu4IvM4t7s

Edited by BallTMore

Rex pissed Manning and the Colts off...

Better yet, they're heading back to their lucky city -- Miami, where they've played all four of those games.

"I thought we just kept our mouths shut and went to work this week," Manning said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-colts0124,0,1575172.story

No disrespect taken. :) I don't believe they aren't mutually exclusive, but there are degrees and in the past, the Ravens (the most vocal of them) showed an unbearable amount of undesirable (at least for me) attitude.

Dee

I couldn't agree with you more. While I am and always will be a Ravens fan, there should be more humility in all of sports and the leagues, especially the NFL, ought to eliminate the strutting, prancing and dancing.

Then again, I'm really old school.

I like trash talk when it comes from accomplished guys who will back it up. That's why the 2000 Ravens got away with it... the trash-talking was their way of coping with the fact that no one was picking them to win in any of their playoff games. The 85 bears even made a music video midseason that said they were going to win the Super Bowl. It's when guys start talking after 3 or 4 wins, and then fall apart, that trash-talk blows up in your face.

Trash talk can also intimidate weaker opponents and get players fired up. The problem is that sometimes it fires up your opponent just as much.

• Upvote 1

As a Steeler fan i did have to agree that when Rex Said that defense wins championships and that his #1 defense should win the super bowl.

Your 00 and our 70's and 08 defence took us there and those were actually great/good/record setting defenses, The Jets #1 ranked defense must be the most overated in league history, take Darrelle Revis out and there absolutley nothing, i know that there are playmakers and game changers on every team but take Troy of Steelers you still have Deebo and take Ray Lewis of the Ravens and you still got ngata and reed. But with the Jets take off Revis and they are nothing.

I kinda like Rex Ryan's swagger but sometimes it's a little too much.