ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Pet ownership rant

Robjr83

So I was over my future sister in laws Sunday watching the Ravens on their 60''LED tv when I noticed their dog was sick. He'd apparently been sick for months (basically sh!ting blood). I was told they don't have the money for a vet. Even with me offering some assistance its not enough. As some of you may tell animals have a soft spot in my heart. One of my favorite quotes is "I've never had a argument with an animal" and its true. I think pet ownership is a privilege not a right. They didn't ask to be put in your care and ask for little other than water/food/ and basic care. I can't vent on facebook for obvious reasons, this just gets under my skin and wanted to put my thoughts to word.

If you can't care for the animal then you shouldn't have it.

http://www.muldersworld.com/photo.asp?id=16110

Heartbroken Elderly Couple Are Forced To Drop Dog At Shelter

This doe eyed Dachshund is Otto. Otto is 13 and a half years old. Recently, he had some medical issues and his owners, an elderly couple in their 70s just couldn't afford to care for him.

Both in poor health and scratching to survive, the anonymous couple tearfully dropped Otto off at an animal shelter with this note:

"Our dog is 13 1/2 years old he is sick starting yesterday with bloody stools, vomiting. Had a skin disease for a few years. We are both seniors, sick with no money. We cannot pay for vet bills, or to put him to sleep. He has never been away from us in all those years, he cannot function without us, please put him to sleep."

The animal shelter was so touched, they immediately called, 'Leave No Paws Behind, Inc.' and org that rescues unwanted pets. Turns out Otto wasn't as bad off as his owners thought. After a visit with the vet, he was given at least 2 more good years of life.

The story doesn't end there as No Paws felt this was a rare case where the owners loved and cared for their dog, but just could no longer afford it. So, No Paws decided that the best place for Otto was back with the family who loved him and No Paws would pick up all of Otto's upkeep for the rest of his life.

Otto's owners were overjoyed to have their baby back. Of course, they said they wouldn't be able to pick him up until the end of the month when they saved enough to buy tires, so they could drive their car. This is where the anonymous part is a hang up as I'd gladly buy them tires if I knew who they were.

Oh well, Otto will be home in a couple weeks, so that's all that matters.

While we can easily slam the vet that cared for Otto before, we have to remember, vets hear these stories just about every day and if they allowed themselves to start treating for free, odds are they'd be out of business very soon. I'm sure it's a terrible feeling to have to turn someone away.

So I was over my future sister in laws Sunday watching the Ravens on their 60''LED tv when I noticed their dog was sick. He'd apparently been sick for months (basically sh!ting blood). I was told they don't have the money for a vet. Even with me offering some assistance its not enough. As some of you may tell animals have a soft spot in my heart. One of my favorite quotes is "I've never had a argument with an animal" and its true. I think pet ownership is a privilege not a right. They didn't ask to be put in your care and ask for little other than water/food/ and basic care. I can't vent on facebook for obvious reasons, this just gets under my skin and wanted to put my thoughts to word.

A few weeks ago I read a small story about people using PetMd to diagnose their pet's illness. Basically it said how screwed up that is and how often the pets suffer for it. If you or I want to diagnose ourselves at WebMd thats pretty dumb but its our decision but to do that to a pet is terrible. They cannot tell you how and what they are feeling.

Well I was told he passed away today around noon. He was only 5. My in laws are poor and understand that vet bills can go in the thousands, but they couldn't be bothered to go to the vets spend a little and maybe see if it was treatable. They both smoke (she's pregnant) and they can't cut back just to see if he had worms. I offered $250 the other day just for my own piece of mind.

Rob I am so sorry to hear that. Makes me feel terrible as I have a soft spot for animals too.

Vet bills are certainly high. We have pet insurance for our dog, which helps a lot. Gives me great piece of mind in case my dog needs a major surgery. I pay $30 a month, but there are different providers that offer cheaper alternatives for different levels of coverage. If you are making a large investment in getting a new living member of your family, I feel something like pet insurance should be part of the cost in your decision making.

Rob I am so sorry to hear that. Makes me feel terrible as I have a soft spot for animals too.

Vet bills are certainly high. We have pet insurance for our dog, which helps a lot. Gives me great piece of mind in case my dog needs a major surgery. I pay $30 a month, but there are different providers that offer cheaper alternatives for different levels of coverage. If you are making a large investment in getting a new living member of your family, I feel something like pet insurance should be part of the cost in your decision making.

Good move. My dog has Cushing's Disease and is on really expensive medicine. He was getting lethargic and drinking more water and we at first just figured it was just age. Then he started getting into stuff when left alone, something he didn't do for 9 years. Goofy stuff like biting toilet paper rolls. We had tests run and Cushing's was confirmed. Its an adrenal gland (probably a tumor in brain or the gland itself) and makes them feel like they are starving and thirsty. This medicine made all the difference in the world. Eating and drinking normal, not getting into stuff, and gained back a ton of energy.

But oh do I wish we had the insurance. His meds are 200+ a month, which is not easy for us. But he's 12, otherwise healthy, and our buddy so we find a way.

:)

Good move. My dog has Cushing's Disease and is on really expensive medicine. He was getting lethargic and drinking more water and we at first just figured it was just age. Then he started getting into stuff when left alone, something he didn't do for 9 years. Goofy stuff like biting toilet paper rolls. We had tests run and Cushing's was confirmed. Its an adrenal gland (probably a tumor in brain or the gland itself) and makes them feel like they are starving and thirsty. This medicine made all the difference in the world. Eating and drinking normal, not getting into stuff, and gained back a ton of energy.

But oh do I wish we had the insurance. His meds are 200+ a month, which is not easy for us. But he's 12, otherwise healthy, and our buddy so we find a way.

:)

Glad to hear your dog is doing well and it sounds like he's loved a lot! :)

Yeah, pet insurance is still not mainstream, I don't believe many people know about it as an option. I know the company we use, Healthy Paws, is still relatively new. It's very expensive to insure an older dog, unless he/she was recently adopted as a rescue, however it is very cost efficient to insure a puppy or a healthy young dog. Once you enroll, the good companies do not raise your premiums based on the pet getting older or the amount of claims made, only for inflation.

Pets should be treated as a member of a family, so hopefully pet insurance can become more commonplace so more families can afford to provide for their pets. My employer is partnered with a pet insurance company and offers a corporate discount.

Thanks for the insight guys. I never really looked into pet insurance but might now. As far as my in-laws I'm sure they wont have the money for a $30/month plan. They don't have health insurance for themselves so I doubt they'd do it for their pets.