ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

outside the lines: team cover up

dc.

In all honesty, the conviction and suspension probably did violate the terms of his contract. The Ravens just aren't a team that seeks to get money back, it seems.

I wil bet and would love to truly know how hard Biscut fights the NFLPA to get cap relief for players who act out and thus, get cut.... This should be interesting to see if the Ravens, Panthers, Vikes, and Niners get relief for next year's cap....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/23/espn-addresses-text-message-mishap-in-ravens-story/

ESPN’s story also creates the impression that Bisciotti texted Rice without prompting. According to the Ravens, Rice contacted Bisciotti first, saying: “I understand the decision but I am thankful for what you have done for me and my family. Me and my wife will continue to work on us and being better but I just wanted to say thank you for giving me a chance.”

ESPN has acknowledged that the italicized text messages did not reflect actual quotes.

“We understand the confusion surrounding our use of italics and recognize we could have been more clear,” ESPN said Tuesday in a statement. “Most importantly, the information in our story about the contents of the texts was consistent with what the team released.”

While the contents were consistent, the clear and obvious error in the presentation invites fair questions regarding whether other aspects of the story are incorrect, especially in light of the strong (albeit belated) written response the Ravens provided to 15 different aspects of the report.

This specific flaw also carries with it some irony. At a time when the Ravens fairly have been hammered for failing to ask for the notorious elevator video, ESPN didn’t ask the Ravens to confirm the precise contents of the text messages sent by Bisciotti. Instead, ESPN asked only if Bisciotti sent two text messages to Rice.

The story from ESPN doesn’t disclose that ESPN asked the Ravens only to confirm that Bisciotti sent two text messages and not to confirm the contents of the text messages. But the words selected by the authors invite a perception that the Ravens were informed of the alleged language of the text messages: “Asked about the text messages Friday, the team did not deny Bisciotti had sent them: ‘His text messages to Ray reflect his belief that everyone is capable of redemption and that others, including players, can learn from Ray’s experience.'”

Moving forward, it’s up to the reader to decide whether to overlook ESPN’s mishandling of the text messages, or whether to treat this specific wrinkle as the proverbial bite of bad beef in a pot of stew. Do you keep on eating, or do you throw out the whole thing?

This is a good summary. At first I believed the ESPN report in its entirety, however, ESPN's failure to include the full text conversation whether intentional or not causes me to question the whole report. KVV is a really solid reporter, so I'm sure most of his report is accurate. However, KVV did not address the text message oversight on the Fan this morning. And while he claims only 30-40% of the sources used were in Rice's camp, having 30-40% of your evidence come from sources with motivated intentions is too much for me.

The truth is in there somewhere between the ESPN report and Bisciotti's presser. So as PFT, it's up to the fans to piece it together themselves.

Hypothetically, if the Ravens attempted to cover up the video tape as ESPN claims, who's to say they didn't plant information to internal sources as a test of loyalty? A long, unrealistic shot, but the burden is on ESPN to prove their story. If we are to trust their sources, we have to consider everything.

Ray's people may not have given KVV the context. There is still info to be sniffed out. I think the Ravens head of security needs to be made available for interviews.

Right and that's exactly my point. They only gave ESPN part of the message that made Bisciotti look bad. As a writer you have to question every piece of evidence that you get and what motivation source had behind it. The way ESPN used the texts were to make Bisciotti look like he was offering hush money when in fact Ray Rice responded to the texts leaving it up for interpretation. KVV or whoever should have tried to obtain the complete conversation or not included that evidence in the report. If one oversight is made in an investigation it opens the whole report up for doubt.

Right and that's exactly my point. They only gave ESPN part of the message that made Bisciotti look bad. As a writer you have to question every piece of evidence that you get and what motivation source had behind it. The way ESPN used the texts were to make Bisciotti look like he was offering hush money when in fact Ray Rice responded to the texts leaving it up for interpretation. KVV or whoever should have tried to obtain the complete conversation or not included that evidence in the report. If one oversight is made in an investigation it opens the whole report up for doubt.

I never read it as "hush money." That seemed to come out in other articles after the fact - I remember a few BleacherReport headlines that implied that, and then were just summarizing the OTL report.

I read the way KVV approached it as, "Rice was confused and pissed off." Which I would be too... how can you go on TV and trash me and then send those messages as if all is kosher. It happens to people all the time. It's not blackmail, but it's also not good practice in any way.

• Upvote 1

I never read it as "hush money." That seemed to come out in other articles after the fact - I remember a few BleacherReport headlines that implied that, and then were just summarizing the OTL report.

I read the way KVV approached it as, "Rice was confused and pissed off." Which I would be too... how can you go on TV and trash me and then send those messages as if all is kosher. It happens to people all the time. It's not blackmail, but it's also not good practice in any way.

Right but Rice responded to the messages saying he had love for Bisciotti. Furthermore KVV stated earlier in the article that Rice still had love for Ozzie and Bisciotti clearly stated in his text he spoke with Ozzie about Ray. Not including Ray's response is an enormous oversight and paints the messages in a slanted manner. As a journalist, you're job is to include the information, and let the reader make the determination of what happened. Instead it the "facts" we're presented in a slanted manner that made it seem like evidence in proving the author's point.

Like I said, I believe most of what is in the report. However, one oversight where it seems like the journalist displayed a particular motive, and it casts doubt on the entire report. Just how I feel about it.

Don't disagree it's an error - but from ESPN it seems more like error in investigation; they say they didn't have the full texts and convo. But I don't disagree it's a problem. I just don't think the "hush money" line is legit in any fashion.

You can only report what you have access to. When additional info was received they dealt with it.