ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

outside the lines: team cover up

dc.

Goddell will be fired. I never thought it would happen or believed it would happen until hearing about this story yesterday and reading it today. Once Goddell is fired the new commish will come in and we will get fined and lose draft picks. From the first time Ray was cut I thought this was BS. Why stand behind Ray and cut him just because a video came out showing what we already knew to be true. Some of us asked "what changed?" It sounds over simplistic but bowing to public pressure and doing a 180 so fast after that video came out was so "Un-Raven like". We stood behind Ray, we stood behind Jamal. We have cut people for bad character, not a bad mistake.

As for Bisciotti, it started looking bad for him right after he and Newsome contradicted each other about Ray telling the truth from the start. Still, I never imagined he would be this devious, complicit, snake-like. Very sad day for me.

Harbs looks good in this. Rice looks good in this (in terms of handling the aftermath). Bisciotti and Cass look like snakes.

Yeah, Goodell is toast. His press conference was not good for him either. Don't know if anyone is buying that it was. Double talk and double think through the whole thing.

Always heard there are 3 side to the story, his, her and the truth but in this one the only truth we know is that Ray hit her and she was "knock the fuck out."

It is all big business. Look at any way you want, business, business, business.

Everyone running around trying to cover each other.

Now you are seeing everything that is out there. How many knew that AP was beating his kid like that till now? How many knew that Greg Hardy beat some female and was found guilty? They are dropping, the cover is blown.

Big Ben did what?

Just so Stealer fan doesn't get pissed, Ray Lewis did what?

Come on, this is the NFL, the mob.

we cheer for them on sundays but wouldn't want to live next door to them

Yeah, Goodell is toast. His press conference was not good for him either. Don't know if anyone is buying that it was. Double talk and double think through the whole thing.

I agree that Goodell has looked terrible but he's not going anywhere. Goodell works for the owners and he's made them billions. Most importantly, Goodell is buddy buddy with the most influencial owners. Furthermore, while I absolutely believe everything in KVV's report, unless he's willing to give up his sources (career suicide), there's no hard factual evidence that could convict the Ravens and Goodell of what they're accused of. I don't think anything is going to happen to Goodell or the Ravens. As KVV pointed out, the independent investigation is headed by his buddies. If anything, Goodell and Bisciotti will get slap on the wrist fines. Just like the Patriots for Spygate and the Saints for Bountygate. The only way I see something happening is if Congress interacts (is this really what we want our taxdollars going to?), or exetreme pressure is applied by the sponsors (unlikely, there are plenty of sponsors that are lining up to take their place).

• Upvote 1

I can't possibly see this franchise ever recovering from this scandal under the current ownership. I liked, admired, and trusted Bisciotti.

No more.

And say goodbye to local ownership. I don't think Baltimore has that many billionaires. I can even imagine some outsider buying this team and moving it to L.A.

I admired and trusted Bisctiotti as well, but his reputation is shattered as far as I am concerned, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to repair.

As far as Bisciotti future as owner, unless Goodell goes down and the other owners really put the pressure on Bisciotti to sell, I doubt he sells the team. Even if he did, I doubt the team would move from Baltimore. The attendence is among tops in the league and plenty of local corporate sponsorship opportunities. Not to mention a nice stadium with a lease that runs through 2026, by then you have to think a team will have already moved to LA.

I don't disagree, force.

If this all came out, 100%, in February.. I'm not sure he's cut.

I think a huge punishment is more than needed and warranted, but I also cannot already mesh with the idea that any criminal can never work again. We'd be a society of anathemas.

If not trying to cover it up things would be much better. If they had gone 6 games I think everything would be ok.

Wait, Max, you can't blame Biscut for covering up the truth? You believe his story that "he only wanted to belive the least possible reason she was unconscous"?

You can't blame the Biscut for cutting Ray, putting all the blame on him and then, out of the back door, offering him a job? He would hire Ray to "lead young players" but not to play for the team?

A team suspension would have been fine, cutting him in September, knowing what they knew back in Feb, sits well with you and "you can't blame Biscut!?! Really?

Steve buying off a scapegoat.

Like I said..."I also believe that Steve and his team went to work immediately to minimize the impact on Ray and to try and prevent the video from going public...to try and "get him through this with the least amount of damage to him and to them."...and "All these characters are wrong.".

For a moment they looked like they had got back on the right track...for a moment....

This news is still sinking in. I haven't been able to process all of it, but I hate lying, back stabbing snakes.

The texts from Steve to Ray smacks of "Take the Fall for Us."

Is that what Steve did? It's hard for me to believe that at this moment...because it's so sleazy.... but I may wake up believing that.

How does someone become a billionaire and be so stupid to think the vids would not come out? I guess the same one who txt's and doesn't expect those to see the light of day.

Fair enough. It's hard to take in the idea that people we've been fans of for so many years--people we thought were "good" and/or better than their peers around the league--could just be scumbags like all the others. Bisciotti and Cass are at the top of that list.

To me, every one of us has lost in this situation. The only person I can reason to not have lost respect for so far is Harbaugh.

Mark this day. I have gained a lot more respect for Harbs.

I can't possibly see this franchise ever recovering from this scandal under the current ownership. I liked, admired, and trusted Bisciotti.

No more.

And say goodbye to local ownership. I don't think Baltimore has that many billionaires. I can even imagine some outsider buying this team and moving it to L.A.

I don't see Biscotti selling. If he were to Angelos could easily afford to buy the team.

I admired and trusted Bisctiotti as well, but his reputation is shattered as far as I am concerned, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to repair.

As far as Bisciotti future as owner, unless Goodell goes down and the other owners really put the pressure on Bisciotti to sell, I doubt he sells the team. Even if he did, I doubt the team would move from Baltimore. The attendence is among tops in the league and plenty of local corporate sponsorship opportunities. Not to mention a nice stadium with a lease that runs through 2026, by then you have to think a team will have already moved to LA.

You're right, Cleetz. I forgot about the lease.

Here's Schmuck's spin....

Of course, the basic fact of the case has not changed since Rice punched Janay Palmer and — according to the original police report — "rendered her unconscious" on Feb. 15. There are a number of enlightening vignettes in the ESPN report, however, that suggest the Ravens knew much more about the true nature of the attack than they let on last week and that they lobbied for the initial two-game suspension that sparked widespread public outrage at Goodell.

The Ravens already have admitted to allowing their affinity for Rice to color their perception of the incident and prompt them to defend his character in the immediate aftermath, but they released a statement Friday night disputing some aspects of the article that was featured on the network's "Outside the Lines" news program.

"TheESPN.com "Outside the Lines" article contains numerous errors, inaccuracies, false assumptions and, perhaps, misunderstandings,'' the statement read. "The Ravens will address all of these next week in Baltimore after our trip to Cleveland for Sunday's game against the Browns."

Still, it's common for media-conscious sports teams to close ranks when there is a scandal involving a high-profile employee. It's also common for a team to work behind the scenes to minimize the impact on the image of the organization and the competitiveness of the team.

What makes this different is the appearance that Goodell went along with it, which could be construed as a display of favoritism toward Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti that could impact his support among the other owners.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-schmuck-column-0919-20140919,0,1686633.column#ixzz3DseoKkhN

I couldn't find a trace of this OTL article on nfl.com....therefore it never happened.

The Baltimore Ravens statement on the recent ESPN Article.

RAVENS STATEMENT ON ESPN.COM ARTICLE

The ESPN.com "Outside the Lines" article contains numerous errors, inaccuracies, false assumptions and, perhaps, misunderstandings. The Ravens will address all of these next week in Baltimore after our trip to Cleveland for Sunday's game against the Browns.

First of all, we have got to stop all this "the sky is faliing, the sy is falling!". It is not. Yes, I agree that Ray was wrong and what he did was unlawful. But what exactly did Goodell do that was illegal? Lie? Yes but that's not unlawful. How about Bisciotti? What if anything has he done unlawful? Lie? Attempt to get better treatment for his employee? The same for Ozzie and Dick Cass. So who is getting punished? Who has the power and authority to punish these folks? The liberal morality and politically correct police? They wish. Bottom line? Goodell and the Ravens are going to walk away from this, -smelling like a rose. No one has the power or authority to hurt them.

Jeremy Zuttah is showing himself to be a leader on the Ravens’ offensive line. (Maybe they should move him to the front office, which also needs some leadership.)

From PFT.

I couldn't find a trace of this OTL article on nfl.com....therefore it never happened.

Really? I am shocked by that. On a funny note I found Fox Sports 1 opinion of Goodell's presser hilarious. They thought he did the bestest job in the whole wide world.

First of all, we have got to stop all this "the sky is faliing, the sy is falling!". It is not. Yes, I agree that Ray was wrong and what he did was unlawful. But what exactly did Goodell do that was illegal? Lie? Yes but that's not unlawful. How about Bisciotti? What if anything has he done unlawful? Lie? Attempt to get better treatment for his employee? The same for Ozzie and Dick Cass. So who is getting punished? Who has the power and authority to punish these folks? The liberal morality and politically correct police? They wish. Bottom line? Goodell and the Ravens are going to walk away from this, -smelling like a rose. No one has the power or authority to hurt them.

I think if you move past your own coloring of this, that it's from the " liberal morality and politically correct police, " you'd notice that there a lot of money, ticket and jersey sales on the line - and already being affected.

Your response is sad. Of course it's not illegal to lie (in thus case, it can be in others), but as an organization that makes its money on its public appeal, the Ravens and Goodell are on the line for threatening their own revenue sources. Ray got cut and suspended for the publicity. These guys will go down under the same train.

I don't feel bad for them about it either. Many people in many fields are subject to the same or higher standard in the public eye. They know it (and flaunt it when they lecture players on their "conduct"). Now, when their conduct failed to meet a reasonable standard, they will eventually pay a price.

I made this same argument earlier. There is nothing illegal for me to ridicule a 3 yr old for being stupid and ugly. Should I do it since there is no law against it? No. It would be morally repugnant. There are lots of immoral acts that are completely legal.

I think if you move past your own coloring of this, that it's from the " liberal morality and politically correct police, " you'd notice that there a lot of money, ticket and jersey sales on the line - and already being affected.

Your response is sad. Of course it's not illegal to lie (in thus case, it can be in others), but as an organization that makes its money on its public appeal, the Ravens and Goodell are on the line for threatening their own revenue sources. Ray got cut and suspended for the publicity. These guys will go down under the same train.

I don't feel bad for them about it either. Many people in many fields are subject to the same or higher standard in the public eye. They know it (and flaunt it when they lecture players on their "conduct"). Now, when their conduct failed to meet a reasonable standard, they will eventually pay a price.

I agree with you 100% that sales and endorsements will hurt the Ravens organization. No doubt about that. But for how long? People, men and women, love NFL football. The Ravens are amazing to this town. My point though is this. Who really has the authority to punish the NFL and The Ravens? The people who watch the game. That's it. And when people like a product, they stick with it. They'll keep coming backfor more. In one year, this whole thing will be a distant memory of what to do and what not to do. That's it.

CYA, CYA, please, please believe us, the media is lying, the media is lying, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, there is a wolf in the sheep's pen, a wolf in the sheep's pen....

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/09/20/ravens-execs-fans-need-to-hear-our-side-of-the-story/

BALTIMORE (WJZ) – A new report challenges what both the Ravens and the NFL have told us about the Ray Rice controversy.

Rick Ritter has more on these breaking details on the Rice investigation.

An ESPN investigative report cites multiple league sources who provide details that call into question how the Ravens and the NFL handled the Ray Rice case.

Kevin Byrne, Ravens Senior Vice President of Public and Community Relations addressed the media for the first time since ESPN’S investigative report surfaced.

When asked to comment about the piece, Byrne said: “The ESPN piece has inaccuracies and we want to address it but we need to focus on the Browns first and then address it after. We do believe that the fans and people of Baltimore need to hear our side of the story, so there will be our side of the story.”

Byrne says the past few weeks have clearly been an unusual time for the franchise.

“I think the one thing we tried to be historically, and I think it reflects in the way the fans react to us on a regular basis, is we’ve been transparent. This is new territory for us. We’re learning as we go. We’ll continue to try and be a transparent organization to the people here,” he said.

Byrne says their focus is on the Cleveland Browns–for now. He expects the team to address ESPN’s investigative repreport again on Monday or Tuesday.

This should be rich, spin, spin spin....... Transparent? I think not, one of you very own Execs contradicted your very own Owner. Since when is telling the truth, the honest, entire truth "new territory? Unless, Mister Byrne, new territory is telling the truth?

Unlike some/many, sorry, if it is not the entire truth, it is a lie. If it is the truth but used to deceive people, it is a lie. Transparent? Come on, sure, many fans are nnaive not this pony, I know there are things teams normally cannot disclose, but not in this case.

All it would have taken was the truth, a six game suspension, and everyone would be happy, even the NOW groups. But go ahead, most of your fan base has the wool pulled over their eyes, others just don't care and just want to watch football, no matter how many times you raise ticket prices, cconcession prices, paraphernalia prices, etc. This lemming is getting off the bus, you keep driving, they will follow.......

• Downvote 1

I agree with you 100% that sales and endorsements will hurt the Ravens organization. No doubt about that. But for how long? People, men and women, love NFL football. The Ravens are amazing to this town. My point though is this. Who really has the authority to punish the NFL and The Ravens? The people who watch the game. That's it. And when people like a product, they stick with it. They'll keep coming backfor more. In one year, this whole thing will be a distant memory of what to do and what not to do. That's it.

Well it's not about organizations, I thought we were taking about individuals. Goodell could easily be tossed by the owners for being a gave they no longer want representing their brand. And plenty in the Ravens' brass could go too for the same reason.

I also think the Ravens could suffer longer if media pressure/advertising pressure that makes them less marketable for "big games."

Ify didn't know, there are already small but growing movements about boycotting the league for many issues - from violence and concussions to legal issues. Minuscule at the moment, but the list could eventually reach its prodigal tipping point... Most times people don't realize the fatal wound until it's been around for too long to care for.

Just to add to my last post... This article is in the daily beast today and references articles about, "is it worth it?" Upcoming in Time.

Not sure you can get much bigger than time for a platform to have this convo. The article is really about two movies, both largely glorifying football, though, which certainly leaves the rest of the convo in the minority... But still a growing voice and discussion.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/20/two-new-films-preach-our-nation-s-corrosive-gridiron-gospel.html

CYA, CYA, please, please believe us, the media is lying, the media is lying, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, there is a wolf in the sheep's pen, a wolf in the sheep's pen....

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/09/20/ravens-execs-fans-need-to-hear-our-side-of-the-story/

This should be rich, spin, spin spin....... Transparent? I think not, one of you very own Execs contradicted your very own Owner. Since when is telling the truth, the honest, entire truth "new territory? Unless, Mister Byrne, new territory is telling the truth?

Unlike some/many, sorry, if it is not the entire truth, it is a lie. If it is the truth but used to deceive people, it is a lie. Transparent? Come on, sure, many fans are nnaive not this pony, I know there are things teams normally cannot disclose, but not in this case.

All it would have taken was the truth, a six game suspension, and everyone would be happy, even the NOW groups. But go ahead, most of your fan base has the wool pulled over their eyes, others just don't care and just want to watch football, no matter how many times you raise ticket prices, cconcession prices, paraphernalia prices, etc. This lemming is getting off the bus, you keep driving, they will follow.......

Well it's not about organizations, I thought we were taking about individuals. Goodell could easily be tossed by the owners for being a gave they no longer want representing their brand. And plenty in the Ravens' brass could go too for the same reason.

I also think the Ravens could suffer longer if media pressure/advertising pressure that makes them less marketable for "big games."

Ify didn't know, there are already small but growing movements about boycotting the league for many issues - from violence and concussions to legal issues. Minuscule at the moment, but the list could eventually reach its prodigal tipping point... Most times people don't realize the fatal wound until it's been around for too long to care for.

Agreed.

The way it sounds to me from the OTL report, Cass is set up to be the fall man for the Ravens.

The way it sounds to me from the OTL report, Cass is set up to be the fall man for the Ravens.

Don't disagree. I could see Ozzie too, as huge add that would be. My bet though is that one takes the sword and the others make quieter exits over the next year or so, but as part of a PR cleaning house.

I don't know guys. I'm not sure how Bisciotti can fire anyone when he looks the worst in this.

But isn't that how organizations work? I think he can almost do what Goodell said in his presser - I'm going to step back a bit, accept some help, and those who were responsible for our failures are going to be removed.

Doesn't even technically have to be fired. Convinced to resign, Newsome says, "our failures in this have led me to... I think for the his of the team and my conscience..."

I think Ozzie might be the only one who ends up going somewhere, but I think it relates more to the fact that he's getting older and may or may not be tired of this sh*t as this point.

Cass is a very good friend of Bisciotti and I don't see Steve doing that to him. That doesn't leave many other options.

Byrne is one who comes to mind as well; he certainly hasn't done a very good job with this.