ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

ESPN tricked

papasmurfbell

Happens about every other year on the major networks... some intern (actually, usually it's the real staffer subbing in at the intern's job) doesn't follow-through and verify who is calling and bam.

I remember it happened famously with Steve Bartman.

MSNBC got tricked yesterday. They thought they were interviewing US goalie Ryan Miller who said things like "we knew that Canada and Russia were way over rated" and "that team we beat today we knew we would" and "I pretty much guarantee that we'll win gold Sunday" but it was an imposter.

The last part made me laugh, why wouldn't the impostor at least guarantee gold?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/26/ryan-miller-prank-call-ms_n_479167.html

• 2 weeks later...

MSNBC got tricked yesterday. They thought they were interviewing US goalie Ryan Miller who said things like "we knew that Canada and Russia were way over rated" and "that team we beat today we knew we would" and "I pretty much guarantee that we'll win gold Sunday" but it was an imposter.

The last part made me laugh, why wouldn't the impostor at least guarantee gold?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/26/ryan-miller-prank-call-ms_n_479167.html

Yeah, I heard about (aboot) that one driving home from work on XM radio, the hosts smelled a prankster, then I saw the site that had the original report and the apologetic on-air phone call with Miller, pretty hilarious. The giveaway in my opinion after hearing the original prank was the uptake in tone and deliberation of voice in the "guarantee" at the end of the call, something (real) hockey players just don't do with the media (of course, the relatively bombastic statements about other teams being overrated is also taboo). Most professional hockey players keep an even keel of tone and content delivery when answering questions on air. I guess it was MSN's turn. Funny stuff.