ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bears release cornerback Vasher

thundercleetz

The Chicago Bears released cornerback Nathan Vasher on Wednesday.

"Nate was a great teammate," said Zack Bowman, who replaced Vasher at cornerback. "It was amazing how he kept things so positive even though things really weren't going the way he wanted them to on the field.

"The guy never took a negative approach to anything. He constantly gave me pointers, gave me encouragement and passed on a lot of things that as a young guy I really benefited from. Not only did Vash play some good ball here in Chicago, he was an extremely popular guy in the locker room.

Whether you needed a ride somewhere or wanted to watch a basketball game with somebody, Vash was always eager to hang out."

Do we go after him? He lost his starting job last season, but he seems like a great teammate, is only 28-years old, and was an upcoming elite corner in this league before groin and back injuries pleagued his 2007 and 2008 seasons. He played 15 games this past year, so maybe his second year back full strength he could return to form? What do you guys think?

Do we go after him? He lost his starting job last season, but he seems like a great teammate, is only 28-years old, and was an upcoming elite corner in this league before groin and back injuries pleagued his 2006 and 2007 seasons. He played 15 games this past year, so maybe his second year back full strength he could return to form? What do you guys think?

Like with Stallworth, if the guy still has some speed and quickness, then you go after him. At the very least, he could contribute as a returner (like an upgraded version of Carr).

Do we go after him? He lost his starting job last season, but he seems like a great teammate, is only 28-years old, and was an upcoming elite corner in this league before groin and back injuries pleagued his 2006 and 2007 seasons. He played 15 games this past year, so maybe his second year back full strength he could return to form? What do you guys think?

Probably not. Talent is another question, but we already have plenty of DB bodies. This is especially true considering that the Ravens reported today that Washington should be ready for training camp.

ESPN Scouts, Inc. 2009 scouting report on Vasher:

Comment: Vasher has missed significant playing time with injuries over the past two seasons. He is an excellent who can be one of the better perimeter defenders when healthy. He is a quick, fast and smooth athlete with great range in coverage. He reads route progressions well and uses excellent body positioning, foot work and technique to anticipate and jump patterns. He has excellent ball skills to deflect balls or come down with an interception. Vasher's transition agility is smooth, and he has great hips to turn and run deep with the top receivers. He has enough lateral agility, quickness and burst to be a solid man coverage defender. He also reacts effectively in combination zone schemes. Vasher is a willing run-support player, but he doesn't have great pop and power as a tackler. Vasher saw more time in 2008 as a punt returner but wasn't explosive in this area.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=5635

I think the coaches should at least take a look at him here and if he's decent cut a Stallworth deal where we only pay him if he's on the roster come September 1.

That would be nice, but he'd never sign that kind of a deal. Unlike Stallworth, he didn't kill anyone, and he's a decent player.

It might be nice to take a look at him, too, but I think they're past looking for bodies at this point. I'm telling you, the news that Washington is on pace to be ready for all preseason activities will help deter them from bringing anyone else in via free agency/trade (the draft is a different question, obviously).

One man's trash is another man's treasure...but he must be damaged goods for the Bears to give up on him.

Can the Ravens find somebody healthy?

They have plenty of injured players.

...Vasher, however, started only two games and lost his job to Zack Bowman. Any chance of competing for the 2010 nickel job was eliminated Tuesday after the Bears signed free agent Tim Jennings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/10901/bears-loyalty-to-vasher-goes-unrewarded

Sounds like he's washed up to me.

happy-st-patty-s-day.gif

Edited by vmax

It might be nice to take a look at him, too, but I think they're past looking for bodies at this point.

You say that, and then we go and resign an Edgar Jones. Is there any better way to describe him than "another body"? (A body that can fill in at 7 or 8 different positions is still a body...)

Perhaps you were referring to corners only? In which case, who exactly are all the bodies that we're stacking up at that position?

You say that, and then we go and resign an Edgar Jones. Is there any better way to describe him than "another body"? (A body that can fill in at 7 or 8 different positions is still a body...)

Perhaps you were referring to corners only? In which case, who exactly are all the bodies that we're stacking up at that position?

That example is absolutely horrible.

We had (have) no tight ends on the roster whatsoever, but plenty of corners. Foxworth, Washington, Webb, Walker, Carr (and others). Plus whomever we draft.

That example is absolutely horrible.

We had (have) no tight ends on the roster whatsoever, but plenty of corners. Foxworth, Washington, Webb, Walker, Carr (and others). Plus whomever we draft.

No tight ends whatsoever? None? You sure about that?

And how many tight ends do you need on a 53-man roster, versus how many corners? Foxworth, Washington, Carr... that's 3. As far as I know, Walker isn't on our roster at this time, so Vasher is just as relevant as Walker at this point in time. And unless you have some news from Webb's doctor, I don't know how you can count him at the moment either.

So 3 corners leaves us at least 2 short, which falls right in line with 1 tight end leaving us 2 short, in the event that we're looking to carry 5 (active, healthy) CB's and 3 TE's on the opening-day roster.