ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steve Smith will be back

vmax

Good news!

temp2014RavensBest084--nfl_mezz_1280_102

The Baltimore Ravens expect wide receiver Steve Smith to suit up for his 15th season in the NFL.

Smith, who turns 36 in May, expressed a desire to play in 2015 soon after the divisional playoff loss to the New England Patriots last month, but Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome wanted the five-time Pro Bowl player to take a few weeks before making a final decision.

At the NFL combine on Wednesday, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Smith remains committed to playing this season.

"I talked to Steve last week, and he's excited," Harbaugh said. "He's planning on being back, and we're planning on having him back. That's a goal of ours. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't happen."

This is really great news for the Ravens, considering their situation at wide receiver. Steve Smith and Torrey Smith are the only two Ravens wide receivers who caught more than 25 passes last season, and Torrey Smith is set to become an unrestricted free agent on March 10. So, even if Torrey Smith signs elsewhere, Joe Flacco has an experienced receiver who already has an established chemistry with him.

Even though Steve Smith faded late in his first season with the Ravens, he still led the team with 79 receptions (30 more than any other Ravens player) and 1,065 yards receiving (nearly 300 more than any Ravens player). It was the most receiving yards in a single season by a player 35 or older since Rod Smith had 1,105 yards in 2005.

Wherever he plays...even if his snaps are limited...there will be production, dependability and Attitude.

"Bunch of No Tackling MoFo's here!"

steve-smith-nfl-preseason-washington-red

I'm happy to have Steve back. He blocks well and has a swagger and attitude that our offense needs. He works back to the ball which works well with a QB like Joe. I think Smith still has a lot of ability and proved he still has big plays left in him. The problem is Steve is not a true #1 and he needs help. If he draws the other team's best corner he is going to disappear for stretches in a game. We need more weapons to either take pressure off of Steve or be able to exploit a team's second or third corners. There is still lots left in the tank I believe.

Steve's drops were really high this past year as well. Hopefully another year with Flacco helps a little.

• Upvote 1

I'll take him back, absolutely! But, if he is not a good lockeroom guy, I would have Harbs have a long chat with him about the significance of strong leadership as a long time veteran of this league. Have him turn that aggression into the lockeroom like Ray Lewis did.