ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Davis

vmax

The next PernelMcPhee

What he brings: He'd be much higher up in these rankings were it not for significant concerns about his effort level. He has an outstanding combination of height, weight, length and athleticism. He is very disruptive against the run and as a pass-rusher with his quickness and strength, and he can play multiple positions in multiple defensive fronts. But his motor is very up and down.

Edited by vmax

Wow, this guy is massive. In addition to being 6'5" 320, he has nearly a 35" wingspan with 11" hands. Talk about a space eater. Being that big and being able to run a 5.07 40, 33" vertical leap, and a 4.47 SS, that's impressive. Reports say he dominated the Senior Bowl. That's why we have Clarence Brooks, one of the best defensive line coaches in the league, to motivate and get the best out of a player's talent.

I like this pick. I'd rather start finding replacements for Suggs and Dummerville but they did have a monster year last year as a duo.

Davis is one pissed off player who I think is getting the message. Plug him into the defensive room and he'll flourish here.

Ok, here is a head scratcher- camp fodder already? Hopefully they take a chance on Ifo Ekpre Olofum dude can ball or Jay A...

Za'Darius Smith

Sources Tell Us

"He will play hard for you and has a chance to be a tone-setter in camp, but I don't think he's going to be more than just a worker bee and depth player." -- AFC national scout

NFL Comparison Anthony Weaver Bottom Line Effort-oriented power end with a willingness to battle and fight at the point of attack. He's not big enough to play end in a 3-4, so he'll have to become an above-average run thumper as a 4-3 power end.

What he brings: Smith is not a great athlete and won't pose a threat as a speed rusher in the NFL, but he can still pressure the quarterback with his impressive power and relentless motor. He has the size and strength to set the edge against the run, and he can contribute at multiple spots along the defensive line.

Nope, Buck Allen, I guess Jay Aj's knees bother them....

Loose hips for tight turns and razor-sharp cuts. Has quick-stop, jump-cut ability to make defenders miss in the backfield. Can slalom back and forth, navigating around traffic through the line of scrimmage and into the second level. Able to shake linebackers and downhill safeties in space. Short-area acceleration to give leg-tacklers a vanishing target. Has lateral quickness to bounce runs outside and create something out of nothing. Factors into passing game, averaging 11.3 yards per catch over last two seasons. Plays with adequate burst through the crease. Able to handle a heavy workload if asked.

Weaknesses Running style doesn't match his size. Upright runner. Plays with high pad level and doesn't finish runs with attitude and urgency. Slows feet into contact and rarely explodes through initial tackler with force. Lacks instincts and feel for developing running lanes. Chooses the trafficked path more than expected. At times, will show some indecisiveness and hesitation into the fray. Will break prematurely from path the play should follow rather than allowing it to develop. Focus drops plagued him out of backfield in 2014. Draft Projection Round 3 or 4 Sources Tell Us "He's not the most physical guy I've ever graded, but he'll pass block and he's solid is most areas. I have him as my 4th rated back in the draft for what we want." - AFC running back coach NFL Comparison Bernard Pierce Bottom Line Workhorse back able to make plays late in the game and work out of the backfield to keep defenses honest. His relative elusiveness in space and ability to cut on a dime give him the ability to create yards where there are none, but his average vision and inability to finish off runs will keep him from getting some of the yards teams might expect. He's well-rounded enough to be a very good backup with middle-of-the-road starting potential.