ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Depth at WR but No True #1

vmax

I love the competition the Ravens have assembled for the WR position but right now they have no legit #1 WR.

Eisenbergs asking who's going to be #3....

Who is the No. 3 receiver?

Steve Smith, Sr. is a starter and the Ravens hope rookie Breshad Perriman becomes an immediate contributor. But what happens after that? Is the No. 3 job a by-committee affair with Marlon Brown and Kamar Aiken, or does one win the job outright? Does Michael Campanaro elbow his way into the rotation as a slot guy? Does big-bodied rookie Darren Waller become a viable red-zone option? Lots of playing time and catches are up for grabs, and practice performances will matter. My eyes are on Aiken, whose longshot tale began with strong OTA practices a year ago.http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-6-Unanswered-Questions-As-OTAs-Kick-Off/b3842662-b1c3-4cdb-820d-88a10b1ff126

I'm asking who's going to be #1.

His #1 option could be a RB or TE.

Maybe Perryman can develop into a #1 but doing that as a rookie is very hard to do. I'd say doubtful for this year.

Steve Smith has Father Time on his back.

Yet as a committee, Joe should get a lot of production out of this group.

Here we go....

Ravens wide receiver Michael Campanaro suffered a quadriceps injury during organized team activities on Wednesday, according to NFL sources..

The severity of the injury for the River Hill graduate is still being determined.

Campanaro was able to walk following the injury and will undergo a magnetic resonance imaging exam to find out if it's a strain or a tear, according to sources.

Campanaro battled hamstring injuries last season that limited him to four games, seven catches and 102 yards and a touchdown.http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-wide-receiver-michael-campanaro-injures-quadriceps-at-practice-severity-unclear-sources-say-20150527-story.html

.......ability to stay healthy......

There's a lot of talented receivers on the team...I'm sure one will evolve into being a number one but we won't know who until at least mid-season.

Tough break for Campy. He had been working all off season on his hammy and now this. Maybe it'll shake out by camp time.

Max- It's not a bad thing when a team doesn't have a true #1 receiver. When you do, the opposition knows where Joe is going most of the time. I like this set up, where you have many talented receivers and all about the same skill level. Joe is going to have a field day throwing to five different receivers and two or three tight ends. As long as our O line can hold up with their respective blocking schemes, this offense is going to click- big time. I'm pretty darned excited!

We have a great group of guys with a diverse collection of skills. I'm going to predict Kamar Aiken will be the starting X with Steve Smith as the starting Z. Marlon works best out of the slot, struggles with the press. Perriman is a rookie, it might be a lot to expect him to start right away at X fighting off the press. However, I expect him to see a lot of field time when the defense is playing off, allowing him to use his speed to blow by the coverage. He's a good blocker, so we could see him in there on run downs, then utilize his speed on play action. As he get experience he'll settle into that split end role.

Aiken and Smith starting at X and Z, respectively, with Perriman rotating in at the X. Campanero as a slot guy between the 20s (if healthy), with Brown working the slot in the red zone (he did a lot of this in 2013, he has a knack for finding open spots in the red zone). There should be some good competition in training camp.

Jeremy Butler is a guy the Ravens are high on. Big possession receiver who had a good preseason last year. He will be ready to compete after a year in an NFL program.

Here we go....

.......ability to stay healthy......

Real shame but watch out for DeAndre Hawkins! Another undersized receiver who's a gamer. Big time stats his last season in college:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-undrafted-rookie-wr-deandre-carter-plays-with-chip-on-my-shoulder-20150527-story.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=129501&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

Look at the short shuttle time (3.80!) with the vertical jump (38.5) and bench numbers (17)! Very explosive athlete! 40 is not bad either (4.44), but with that sort of quickness he probably plays a lot faster than that straight line time. If Camp is not ready to go this guy will. We need a returned too. We usually have an UDFA make the team each year, here's my pick.

Max- It's not a bad thing when a team doesn't have a true #1 receiver. When you do, the opposition knows where Joe is going most of the time. I like this set up, where you have many talented receivers and all about the same skill level. Joe is going to have a field day throwing to five different receivers and two or three tight ends. As long as our O line can hold up with their respective blocking schemes, this offense is going to click- big time. I'm pretty darned excited!

Nice point and I think it will play out that way.

Good point on Hawkins cleetz.....maybe we have a mini Steve Smith in the making.

Oh....ESPN Insiders think Perryman will be a top 5 rookie playmaker this year.

1. Breshad Perriman, WR, Baltimore Ravens

Defenses that give Perriman a clean release do so at their own risk. The long-strider has deceptive top-end speed and the second gear to run past most NFL corners when he's allowed to build momentum. Jamming the 6-foot-2, 212-pound Perriman isn't easy, either, and it should only get harder as he gets stronger and more polished.

Edited by vmax

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/mediaItem.html?media-id=927458&media-type=N

Rookie receiver DeAndre Carter went undrafted partly because of question about his size he's 5-foot-8, 185 pounds but the young receiver has already caught the attention of his elder counterpart.

I like [that] he's hungry, Smith said after Thursday's practice. I just love his attitude. I see a young Randall Cobb in him.

what I love about this group, if they keep all three wide outs of Aiken (6'-2"), Brown (6'-5"), Butler (6'-2") Perriman (6'-2") tight ends Williams (6'-4") Gilmore (6'-6") Boyle (6'-6")

Talk about red zone size. The Ravens will be able to go bigs, or smalls in the red zone with size vs quickness or a mix & match bunch.

That is not too mention Darren Waller, if he makes the roster (likely a ps or ir candidate) who is 6'-6".

Currently with 11 wide outs on the roster, the three underlined all have the same skill sets, then you add in the smaller wide outs, Smith is a lock of course, but will it be Camp (who as we said on draft day last year, can't stay healthy) or Carter for the smalls?

Let us not forget Cam Worthy who specializes in RedZone catching with his size, arm length and huge mitts.

They normally keep five wideouts, as many as six, so five or so have to go. Should be a great battle....