ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Chaos in college football

So it has started. Nebrasca and Colorodo are out of the Big 12. I heard today that Maryland might join the Big 10.

So if we have four 16 team conferences and leave the NCAA and do their own thing in football will they in time do the dame thing with every other sport. In Basketball they could make up their own 64 team tourny excluding every other team in the NCAA.

Personally I do not like these changes.

MD football, performance-wise, has already met its demise.

But playing more and more good schools will only get us more attention and maybe more recruits. UMD has poured a lot of money into the program and stadium upgrades... they'll find ways to get those seats filled.

The NCAA and this whole thing is a joke.

If the NCAA is the governing body, they should decide the conference alignments. There is too loose a relationship between teams/schools and conferences and the NCAA. The movement is too frequent, too motivated by money and bad for the sports and students as a whole.

And the rules on everything are just stupid - as evidenced by the USC BS taking place right now.

I can't believe either PAC-10 or SEC would even compromise their leagues by importing these teams that have nothing to offer except some ratings from markets that don't give a crap about either league? At least the expansion of ACC involved teams in the east; the whole thing is retarded IMO no fuck that it's retarded period.

I don't think Maryland will leave the ACC because of the great basketball rivalries and the 'short' traveling distance. They are bringing in good money as it is.

This is and only ever has been about money. Athletics in college is about the cash and that alone. It always has been.

Yes, but mostly cash from boosters (local fans) and regional tv networks; who the heck out in corn country gives a shit about the Terps? Trust me, noone.

Except if you get the Terps you get the Baltimore and Washington TV markets. Together they are the #4 market and you can sell a hell of a lot of advertising on that.

The B/W market isn't all for Terps. Maybe moreso for football, but I imagine the basketball market is extremely fractured with the DC area teams commanding attention

Advertisers don't understand local dynamics.

I'm sure that in fact they do, for instance how often does a Terps fan really want to watch georgetown or GW or another local team that's not in the ACC? the gamble (and it's a good one) is that college sports fans will do next to anything to stick with their team and conference and view accordingly. So if their team jumps to another conference, they will follow. But it's moot, because I agree that Terps would never give up on their very lucrative ACC rivalries.