ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Let the trash talking begin

cravnravn

CINCINNATI -- Even in June, Cincinnati Bengals Pro Bowl receiver Chad Ochocinco already is in rare, trash-talking form.

The Bengals and Baltimore Ravens have made several key additions that will make both teams playoff contenders and preseason favorites in the AFC North.

2584.jpgOchocincoMany power rankings have Baltimore rated ahead of Cincinnati, despite the Bengals sweeping the Ravens in two games last season. But Ochocinco doesn't care about the early rankings.

"We got better than them," Ochocinco said of Baltimore. "They're not better than us. The Ravens? I mean, what have they done? They have some nice draft picks. But we have people that can come in right now and be effective."

Then Baltimore's addition of receiver Anquan Boldin was mentioned to Ochocinco.

"Yeah, that's my homeboy, but then Anquan Boldin has to go against the No. 4 defense that was ranked last year," Ochocinco replied. "Last time I checked, we destroyed their defense. We added to ours, but we still have the better defense."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/13948/ochocinco-ravens-not-better-than-us

Knucklehead fails to realize that the Ravens are ranked 3rd in total D...

Knucklehead fails to realize that the Ravens are consistently ranked in D, within the top 5. Bengals havent had a D since the Dick Labeau era.

Knucklehead needs to realize that the NFL world assumes that the Bengals will still be the "same ole Bungles" and follow a decent season, with a pattened shitty one.

Knucklehead fails to realize that sweeping the Ravens and Steelers got them how far in the playoffs?

Knucklehead should talk to Mendenhall of the Steelers, on the ramifications of opening your yap before facing the Ravens.

I was never a fan of bulletin board material. If you are not fired up already to play in the NFL, much less in a game against a division rival, even more so with Ray Lewis on your sideline, you probably shouldn't be playing, much less the Ravens. If you ask me, Chad has every right to be confident playing against us. The swept us last year beating us at our own game, and there was nothing our #3 defense could do to stop their offense in the fourth quarter. Now, should he be cocky? No way. Chad knows more than anyone else the nature of the AFC North. They swept us last year, but we swept them the year before. This division seemingly shifts in power each year. I think Chad is just being Chad talking out of his ass. But when it comes down to it, he will be prepared and probably have a big game one way or another.

Did the Bengals "get better" then us? I don't think so. But did we get better than them? I don't think so either. The Bengals had a lot of high draft picks this year (a first, second, and two thirds to go along with two fourth round selections). The additions of Gresham and Bryant on offense are going to be hard to stop, and don't underestimate Jordan Shipley out of the slot. With Chad and Bryant as do-it-all threats, and Gresham with the ability to stretch the middle of the field, Carson has never really had that quick, slot receiver to dump the ball off to as a check down. This offense has the potential to be dangerous with that run game. And if Andre Smith can play up to his potential at RT, that run game is going to be that much more potent. We play the Bengals Week 2, will Ladarius Webb be ready? How healthy is Fabian Washington going to be? These could be big questions for us heading into Cincy for that first matchup as the Bengals once again have lots of weapons on offense.

Right now I see our two teams as very even. It will come down to Flacco and the offense taking that next step. Flacco could have put away that first game if the pass to Clayton on the deep ball was a couple of yards shorter. Or maybe someone with speed like Stallworth is able to catch up to that ball? Either way, Joe needs to start putting games away in the fourth quarter like Carson can. If Joe takes that next step, you have to like our chances against the Bengals. As much as it pains me to say, that Bengals defense is for real. Geathers and Odom do a good job of rushing off the ends limiting the need for blitzes, then they added Carlos Dunlap through the draft. There is a lot of talent at LB with Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers, and they have two very good corners in Joseph and Hall.

I like the moves we made this offseason to put us in a better position to play the Bengals. Boldin, Stallworth, Pita, and Dickson will give Joe a lot more options to expose that Cover 2 web underneath that the Bengals give us fits with. Basically, they are challenging us to attack the intermediate middle of the field. Boldin, Pita, and Dickson have the ability to make them pay. On defense, Cody should shore up that middle against Benson and that running attack while Kindle (and hopefully the emergence of Barnes and Kruger) should be able to take some pressure off of Suggs giving us a formible pass rush on Carson. In short, I see two very hard-fought games.

I was never a fan of bulletin board material. If you are not fired up already to play in the NFL, much less in a game against a division rival, even more so with Ray Lewis on your sideline, you probably shouldn't be playing, much less the Ravens. If you ask me, Chad has every right to be confident playing against us. The swept us last year beating us at our own game, and there was nothing our #3 defense could do to stop their offense in the fourth quarter. Now, should he be cocky? No way. Chad knows more than anyone else the nature of the AFC North. They swept us last year, but we swept them the year before. This division seemingly shifts in power each year. I think Chad is just being Chad talking out of his ass. But when it comes down to it, he will be prepared and probably have a big game one way or another.

Did the Bengals "get better" then us? I don't think so. But did we get better than them? I don't think so either. The Bengals had a lot of high draft picks this year (a first, second, and two thirds to go along with two fourth round selections). The additions of Gresham and Bryant on offense are going to be hard to stop, and don't underestimate Jordan Shipley out of the slot. With Chad and Bryant as do-it-all threats, and Gresham with the ability to stretch the middle of the field, Carson has never really had that quick, slot receiver to dump the ball off to as a check down. This offense has the potential to be dangerous with that run game. And if Andre Smith can play up to his potential at RT, that run game is going to be that much more potent. We play the Bengals Week 2, will Ladarius Webb be ready? How healthy is Fabian Washington going to be? These could be big questions for us heading into Cincy for that first matchup as the Bengals once again have lots of weapons on offense.

Right now I see our two teams as very even. It will come down to Flacco and the offense taking that next step. Flacco could have put away that first game if the pass to Clayton on the deep ball was a couple of yards shorter. Or maybe someone with speed like Stallworth is able to catch up to that ball? Either way, Joe needs to start putting games away in the fourth quarter like Carson can. If Joe takes that next step, you have to like our chances against the Bengals. As much as it pains me to say, that Bengals defense is for real. Geathers and Odom do a good job of rushing off the ends limiting the need for blitzes, then they added Carlos Dunlap through the draft. There is a lot of talent at LB with Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers, and they have two very good corners in Joseph and Hall.

I like the moves we made this offseason to put us in a better position to play the Bengals. Boldin, Stallworth, Pita, and Dickson will give Joe a lot more options to expose that Cover 2 web underneath that the Bengals give us fits with. Basically, they are challenging us to attack the intermediate middle of the field. Boldin, Pita, and Dickson have the ability to make them pay. On defense, Cody should shore up that middle against Benson and that running attack while Kindle (and hopefully the emergence of Barnes and Kruger) should be able to take some pressure off of Suggs giving us a formible pass rush on Carson. In short, I see two very hard-fought games.

Crav, Ocho has too much time on his hands (post Dancing with the Stars). He must have whiffed on one of his dance partners, huh ?

Cleetz, I am with you on the close matchup. Its a toss up. In fact, they will proably take us the first game in Cincy. I dont like us in that game, esp with our CBs on the mend.

I like us in Bmore as our CBs get healthy, and Flacco has his groove with the WR corps by then.

Make no mistake, Cincy is formidable team, they beat us twice last year, and they had a comparable draft to us.

To think anything less is short sighted.

This should be a good rivalry in 2010. Cant wait !

Cinncy

Us win the division, and dont throw the blanket over the Stealers, they could possibly go 3-1 til Studmuffin Ben gets back from probation.

In their entire history, the Bengals cant put back to back succesful seasons together. I tend to like history.

I am in agreement with him. I think Chad Ochocinco, Antonio Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Dezmon Briscoe, and Jermaine Gresham Will torch the DB's. Also their CB's are just plain studs. I see a loss week two.

Gresham missed the entire year last year, my money is the Bengals reached for him.

All I hear is how "great" this Carson Palmer is, if hes that great then he should of put monster numbers up if his WR's were TD Taylor and Double D Darling and throw in a little Patrick Johnson. Bottom line is, Bengal Fans are using Chris Henry as an excuse, and dont want to face the reality that the Ravens with Mason passsed for more yards than Carson Palmer led Bengals. We picked up firepower in Boldin & Stallworth, they drafted a TE that missed an entire season because of a knee injury!!!!

There DB's aint shit, teams went pass happy against the Bengals, we'll pick and choose and light them up.

Name one team that made the playoffs last season that won't make it this season:

N.Y. Jets

Cincinnati

Baltimore

New England

San Diego

Indianapolis

I give you three.

1. Jets! Pats and Phins could be better. Sanchez will not help them win many games and their leading RB is gone. Jets FO this year reminds me of Skins FO for ever and Bears FO last year. And first of all I believe the FOs in Boston and Miami is simply just the better ones.

2. Cincy! Ravens and Steelers will be better. I doubt they will be 6-0 again in the division, they were 4-6 outside last year and now their schedule is worse with Bolts and Indy. And Crav is not always wrong, and a team who take a change on Pacman, and just now they are hyping him.. seriously this is so not serious! Pacman just like Gresham coming back from injury there are reason to doubts this year. Their defense was promising but the depth? Play the game first, until then a no from me. And first of all I believe the FOs in Baltimore and Pissburgh is simply just the better ones.

3. Indy! I wish.

IN

N.Y. Jets

I think they will have just enough to win the Div.

Cincinnati

They win the Div by 2 games.

San Diego

I just don't see who would be better than them.

Indianapolis

Win Div.

New In's

Houston

The will be a wildcard. Just missed last yr.

Denver

I think they will just squeeze in.

Out

Baltimore

They will just miss the Playoffs.

New England

Not enough ready talent. Next yr I think they will be tough to beat.

I am in agreement with him. I think Chad Ochocinco, Antonio Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Dezmon Briscoe, and Jermaine Gresham Will torch the DB's. Also their CB's are just plain studs. I see a loss week two.

Even I won't go that far.

I love you CB's. They were well drafted. Also Those three picks I have on that list were guys I was touting hard. How is Shipley doing? That kid does scare me.

I agree, Bengals fans have to feel good about there team. John Clayton wrote a solid article (Bengals face tough road) on the Bengals offseason. They are pretty solid all around. They might not have any real studs on defense outside of Rivers, Hall, and Joseph, but they have a lot of solid players in Odom, Geathers, Peko, Maualuga, and Ndukwe. And I love the Gibril Wilson pick-up, he is very underrated. Dunlap and Ghee are also good fits for their defense. Then you add in the fast and talented Adam Jones, who supposedly has a renewed focus, and there is a lot of depth and talent. The defense was fourth in the league last year and has the potential to be even better.

On offense as long as Carson Palmer is the QB the Bengals are going to be dangerous at the end of games if teams cannot put them away. Bryant is a perfect fit for the system. Gresham gives Carson a dynamic, pass catching TE he has never had before, and like papa I love the Shipley pickup. He is very quick, has good hands, is a good route runner, and has a very solid build. Put that all together and he could gain a lot of YAC out of that slot position as coverages are going to be shifted toward Bryant and Chad. Add in that physical run game and Carson and co. are going to be very difficult to stop.

Even without that said, I like how we matchup. On offense Joe has a lot more weapons to work with as well. I don't think the Bengals will be able to web the underneath stuff leaving the intermediate-middle of the exposed. Pita, Dickson, and Boldin all have the ability to work over the middle. And if the Bengals start creeping up too much covering the short stuff, Stallworth will burn them deep. There were opportunities in both games last year for the big play, we just didn't have the weapons to make them pay.

We bolstered out run defense, I do not think Benson is going to be as successful against us this season. However, it is all going to come down to our pass rush. If we can get a consistent rush on Carson, our secondary should be fine, they 8th in the league last season with a much worse pass rush. As long as Washington and Webb stay on schedule, we shouled be able to hold up. If there is a lack of pass rush, Carson will tear the secondary apart...

I see our teams as very similar. Both have a solid run game, weapons in the pass game, strong armed QBs, and rock solid defenses. What it comes down to overall is whether Flacco can take that next step and start to make defenses pay in crunch time. If so, I like our chances a lot. But as is, the Bengals are the defending champs and have the better QB, you have to give the an edge in that Week 2 matchup, especially at home.

I love you CB's. They were well drafted. Also Those three picks I have on that list were guys I was touting hard. How is Shipley doing? That kid does scare me.

To be honest I won't have an opinion on how any player is doing until I see them perform in the exhibition games. Training camp doesn't mean a lot to me other than for the players to learn the plays and get into shape.

To be honest I won't have an opinion on how any player is doing until I see them perform in the exhibition games. Training camp doesn't mean a lot to me other than for the players to learn the plays and get into shape.

That goes without saying. You don't know what you have until the game is played. I just love the peices that you guys have been assembling. I would love them on a team I was putting together. You have gotten away from taking moronic talent so things are transitioniing for you. On paper I love what you are doing.

Gresham missed the entire year last year, my money is the Bengals reached for him.

All I hear is how "great" this Carson Palmer is, if hes that great then he should of put monster numbers up if his WR's were TD Taylor and Double D Darling and throw in a little Patrick Johnson. Bottom line is, Bengal Fans are using Chris Henry as an excuse, and dont want to face the reality that the Ravens with Mason passsed for more yards than Carson Palmer led Bengals. We picked up firepower in Boldin & Stallworth, they drafted a TE that missed an entire season because of a knee injury!!!!

There DB's aint shit, teams went pass happy against the Bengals, we'll pick and choose and light them up.

Gresham could have played at the end of last year but Oklahoma decided not to take any chances with his knee. It wasn't a bad tear. Your best hope is that he signs late and missing training camp. Doesn't sound like it though.

What's Palmer's record against the Ravens? Remember Carson played with a bad left hand all last season. He had no dependable TE to throw to - Coats had 1 or 2 drops against the Ravens last year for TDs.

The Bengals DBs >>>>> Ravens DBs

I give you three.

1. Jets! Pats and Phins could be better. Sanchez will not help them win many games and their leading RB is gone. Jets FO this year reminds me of Skins FO for ever and Bears FO last year. And first of all I believe the FOs in Boston and Miami is simply just the better ones.

2. Cincy! Ravens and Steelers will be better. I doubt they will be 6-0 again in the division, they were 4-6 outside last year and now their schedule is worse with Bolts and Indy. And Crav is not always wrong, and a team who take a change on Pacman, and just now they are hyping him.. seriously this is so not serious! Pacman just like Gresham coming back from injury there are reason to doubts this year. Their defense was promising but the depth? Play the game first, until then a no from me. And first of all I believe the FOs in Baltimore and Pissburgh is simply just the better ones.

3. Indy! I wish.

Doubtful the Bengals will be perfect in the division again after all they could be resting their starters in the last game of the season.

4 - 6 outside the division which included freak losses to Denver and Oakland. And in the Jets game the starters were sitting on the bench.

Adam Jones would be the 3rd cornerback at best. Very good depth at all positions on defense right now. Maulauga (2nd year) and Rivers (3rd year) are just now understanding their roles on defense.

Papasmurbell

Shipley has been alternating reps at slot with Caldwell. Has looked good in shorts but we'll see how he looks with pads. Dex Briscoe has been out with groin pulls, not sure he will be in good enough shape this year to make an impact.

Looking forward to the season - the next five weeks will be slow.

I just love the peices that you guys have been assembling.

Baltimore hasn't been slacking either in this department. Adding Boldin was huge. I live in Arizona, and have watched him for years with the Cardinals. I know what he can do.