ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Mt Cody signed

cravnravn

Multiple media reports have stated that rookie defensive tackle Terrence Cody agreed to terms on a four-year contract with the Ravens, potentially solidifying what could be one of the most impenetrable front walls in the NFL.

Cody is expected to report to training camp in Westminster, Md., on time.

The 57th-overall draft pick was impressive during the offseason in organized team activities, but was really eager to show what he could do in training camp when the pads come on.

At 6-foot-4, 349 pounds, Cody is an imposing monster that can team with 345-pound Haloti Ngata on a Ravens’ defense that finished fifth against the run last year, only allowing 93.3 rushing yards per game.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/07/26/reports-ravens-sign-cody/

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/07/codys_conditioning_test_failure_is_concerning.html

Cody's conditioning test failure is concerning

It's wasn't totally unexpected for Alabama rookie defensive tackle Terrence Cody to fail the team's physical conditioning test, but it's not a good sign for the future.

Cody, weighing 349 pounds, had a weight problem in college, but most rookies come into training camp in excellent shape because they don't know what to expect, and they want to be at their peak level. In some cases, players over train. Cody, though, wasn't prepared for the testing by the Ravens.

I'm old school. I find it hard to believe that a player with the opportunity of a life time, a chance to make millions of dollars, wouldn't be in top condition. The problem with Cody is that if he can't invest time to get in shape now, what will he be like four or five years down the road once he has tasted success?

Of course, the the true test of Cody will come in September. By then, he will have rounded himself into good playing condition. Despite the girth, the kid does have talent and is extremely athletic. He might be the player that can collapse a pocket in the middle and put pressure on the quarterback, something the Ravens have not had in years.

But Cody not being ready to play as a rookie concerns me because regardless of his age, there are signs of a lack of discipline.

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. Cody is a big guy, we paying him to be a big guy, a first and second down player. Harbaugh in his quotes did not sound too concerned. Here is the deal with Cody. We drafted him as a 360+ pound project. Cody is still very much a work in progress as regards to his weight. Just because he failed a conditioning test does not mean he has not been working out, it just means he might not be quite where he needs to be or that our training staff thinks he has a little more while to go. That is what I got out of what Harbaugh said. Cody needs a little more work before he is ready for training camp. For a guy who was 370+ pounds in February, we knew then that it would take a lot of work for him to be ready for an NFL training camp in August.

The same goes for Walt Harris coming off of an knee injury. Because he failed his conditioning test does not mean he has not been working out, just that his knee is not quite where it needs to be in order to compete at the highest level. Our training staff is just making sure that Cody and Harris are ready to compete. They do not want guys who are not physically ready to go out there and overwork themselves to keep up with everyone else risking injury.

Guest BallTMore
I see Cody not being ready as a beginning of what he will be.

I'm leaning that way too. I would have been doing jumping-jacks since draft day, but I guess millions isn't enough to get him motivated.

I know we drafted him to be a big guy, but he has to get some stamina or his height/weight won't mean a thing. Once he's winded he'll be a push-over.

Between him and Kindle this has already been a bit of a let-down. Obviously it's still very early, but some air has been let out of the tires.

I'm leaning that way too. I would have been doing jumping-jacks since draft day, but I guess millions isn't enough to get him motivated.

I know we drafted him to be a big guy, but he has to get some stamina or his height/weight won't mean a thing. Once he's winded he'll be a push-over.

Between him and Kindle this has already been a bit of a let-down. Obviously it's still very early, but some air has been let out of the tires.

I don't think working out is the problem with Cody, it is the diet and appetite problem. When you are that big it is extremely difficult to eat less.