ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steelers/Ravens-- Matchups

Preacher

I have to admit, I haven't been following the Ravens this year. So I am wondering what you all think about some of the matchups...

For me, I am going to be really interested in your RB's vs. Timmons, who is have a tremendous breakout year-he is disrupting a LOT of run plays right now.

I am also interested in how our new center and RG will stack up against a real defense. Pouncy is looking like a beast. I have been watching Legursky (who was an undrafted FA a couple years ago). He has performed in every role he has been given, including FB. Now, he is starting as RG, and really dominated the line with Pouncy last game. I think this week will be a BIG test for them to see if they are as good as the Steelers hope they are.

Another matchup, will be your passing against our Pass defense. it ISNT good. Sure, we get turnovers and sacks. However, check out the stats, the STeelers D ranks in the bottom third of the league in passing. My fear is that we will be up in the fourth, and our D will let you all walk right down the field and put it in the endzone to end the game.

From your perspective, what are some good matchups to be watching?!?!

This isn't so much matchups as it is an observation. We have done ok running the ball against Pittsburgh but that is in the past. This season it seems that we abandon the run as soon as we have a no gainer or 1 or 2 yard run. As soon as 2 and 8 appears Cam goes into pass mode. We don't use "proper" playaction nearly enough when we do pass.

Anyway, against Pittsburgh's pass rush that is going to get us killed. I don't feel that the O-Line has performed very well this year in either run blocking or pass blocking. Granted we are without arguably our best lineman in Gaither but Pittsburgh destroyed that O-Line last year and I'm concerned they will do the same this year. Even if you class your secondary as weak, a good pass rush can mask a weak secondary.

I don't really think that there is anything to fear from Pittsburgh's offense. I think we match up pretty well with them.

So this game will be won and lost on the result of Pitt's D versus the Raven's O.

1. Our DB's vs Mike Wallace. The Steelers will try him deep at least once, maybe a couple of times. Last year Ladarius webb was on him and kept him contained. We MUST keep him bottled up. There is no Santonio Holmes anymore so he is our main focus.

2. Oher vs Harrison is pass blocking - Harrison is the master of the strip sack and we can't afford to turn the ball over like we did in the first two games.

3. Flacco vs Polamalu in pass coverage - Polamalu has had a fast start to the season with a few big ints and Flacco has thrown 5 INT's already this season. Not a good combination considering Polamalu has gotten the better of Joe in the past.

4.) Suggs vs Max Starks/Flozel Adams - I think Max Starks will line up against Suggs on the left side. Suggs will need to get the better of him for sure. I'm not sure how he is doing now, but Flozel was terrible in the preseason and whoever lines up against him should and must dominate him.

Preacher - you said you are interested in watching Timmons vs our RB's. Timmons is supposed to be fast so if Ray Rice is heathly this should be a good matchup, but if not, we'll see how much punishment he can take from our big back Le'Ron McClain.

Max,

Good stuff !

Outside Race,

I dont like any of those matchups. I don't like this game. Period.

After getting smacked around by the Clowns OL and a 3rd string RB from Arkansas and reject from Denver for a buck 44 yards, no one can feel good going into this game.

I feel a serious smackdown coming on Sunday. Also, no sense in playing a banged up Ray Rice. Rest him a few weeks and bring him back in New England or at home against Buffalo.

ACE

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read that Rice won't be playing Sunday. It's a little early in the week for that kind of comment, but I thought I heard it somewhere. Either way, the Timmons RB matchup will be one that interests me.

On the Flacco vs. Troy P. Matchup: This is the kind of match up where twice a year, your QB gets to measure himself against the best (arguably, with Ed Reed as the other in the argument...another thread!) in the league. Heck, to be honest, I know at least most of those who post on my Steelers forum seem to use these games as measuring sticks as well. It'll be interesting to see how he does, since the last time they saw each other, was in the AFCCG- (I believe Troy was already out the second time by the time we met you all last year.

On Flozell Adams. Suggs may have a good day, but if he does, it'll be because of speed, not power. I am quite amazed at Adams' strength even at his age. Furthermore, he has actually started putting together some good work. I think he is getting used to that side. So that will be an interesting match up to watch.

Ok. SCREW IT. The match up to watch is Purple vs. Black. And I wouldn't worry about "previous games" this season. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers coming to town to play the Ravens. We could be 15-0 and you 0-15, and it still would be a "Kick 'em in the teeth 10-7" type of game. That is why this is probably the best NEW rivalry in the league. Of course, when someone asks who the Steelers TRUE rivals are, the answer is simple... One Man. Paul Brown. The founder of the Former Browns turned Ravens, the center figure of the Bengals, and the roots of the new Browns team.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read that Rice won't be playing Sunday. It's a little early in the week for that kind of comment, but I thought I heard it somewhere. Either way, the Timmons RB matchup will be one that interests me.

Hes probable..If hes not at 100%, then we have to sit him, its too long of a season..

Im real intrigued at the Troy P on Boldin match up...and our O-Line vs Pittsburghs fron D line.

I dont like any of those matchups. I don't like this game. Period.

After getting smacked around by the Clowns OL and a 3rd string RB from Arkansas and reject from Denver for a buck 44 yards, no one can feel good going into this game.

Well, playing the Steelers always make me nervous, probably because I have so much on the line living in Pittsburgh, but if you are looking for reason to be optimistic then how about these points?

1.) I think Peyton Hills running all over our D will bode well for them in this matchup. They will be extra motivated to prove that was a fluke, and I think we all know that performance is more likely to be an aberration than the new norm

2.) All these years there have been two Steelers who have been principally responsible for victories against the Ravens. Roethlisberger, and Santonio Holmes. Neither will play for the Steelers on Sunday.

3.) Ike Taylor, the Steelers' best cornerback, CANNOT catch. He is a very good corner in terms of coverage, but he has stone hands. He generally covers the opponents best wide receiver so I'd imagine he'll be on Boldin. I'm hoping this means Joe will feel comfortable throwing the ball to Boldin if Polamalu isn't helping Taylor in deep coverage.

Well, playing the Steelers always make me nervous, probably because I have so much on the line living in Pittsburgh, but if you are looking for reason to be optimistic then how about these points?

1.) I think Peyton Hills running all over our D will bode well for them in this matchup. They will be extra motivated to prove that was a fluke, and I think we all know that performance is more likely to be an aberration than the new norm

That may cut both ways however. If the Steelers are able to get a push and 3-5 yards a rush the first few tries, that "here we go again" voice may start creeping in. That, more than anything else, is a killer. Even the best players hear it. Also, our O line is in a similar position. A New center is trying to prove himself (and has done a decent job so far), we have a guy at RG that has been on the team for a couple of years. He seems to excel everyone he is put (heck, even at FB at one point), but for some reason, was never given a shot. A solid game against the Ravens ups his stock tremendously in taking over that position... something you can bet the coaches are informing him about, since he is young and it would alleviate the Steelers having to draft for RG next year. Mendy is trying to prove he is the main man, and Redman that he can be the FB for this team. So, it would seem that both sides are coming in with something to prove, but the Steelers won't have to deal with the "Here we go again" thoughts as much as the Ravens will based on recent games. Then again, mental toughness is something neither team lacks.

2.) All these years there have been two Steelers who have been principally responsible for victories against the Ravens. Roethlisberger, and Santonio Holmes. Neither will play for the Steelers on Sunday.
I'd agree concerning last year. However, in the AFCCG, the MNF game a couple years ago, as well as a couple others, it was our D. that was principally responsible for the wins IMO. Our offense is actually better right now than it was for most of our SB season-mainly because our O-line is starting to settle out with Pouncy, Legursky, and Kemo also settling in. The tackles scare me. But even Flozell is starting to play well.

3.) Ike Taylor, the Steelers' best cornerback, CANNOT catch. He is a very good corner in terms of coverage, but he has stone hands. He generally covers the opponents best wide receiver so I'd imagine he'll be on Boldin. I'm hoping this means Joe will feel comfortable throwing the ball to Boldin if Polamalu isn't helping Taylor in deep coverage.

Sometimes, the truth is so absolute, that no argument can be made otherwise. "CATCH THE BALL IKE" has escaped my mouth more than once this year already.