ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Evidence of Positive Change Hits Home

vmax

Do you wonder where and when all this Wall Street and government spending will begin to pay out and trickle down? Here's some 'right in our back yard' great news. One step in the right direction...a local step... to limit the impact of global warming. Baltimore will experience the tangible economic benefits that go with spending money on saving life and our children's future.

Developer of Ocean City wind farm plans Sparrows Point steel fabrication hub to serve expansion, larger industry.

A wind farm developer plans to bring steel production back to Sparrows Point, establishing a manufacturing hub to serve the growing wind energy industry that would start with a proposed expansion of offshore turbines in Ocean City.

US Wind, the Baltimore-based subsidiary of Italian renewable energy firm Renexia SpA, announced its vision Tuesday for 90 waterfront acres at Tradepoint Atlantic, a 3,300-acre logistics center in Baltimore County, where it plans to assemble turbine components and start a company called Sparrows Point Steel. 

The steel factory would make the towers that anchor wind turbines to the ocean floor. It would aim to supply US Wind’s Ocean City projects and, longer term, the wind energy market across the United States.

The company signed a long-term lease Tuesday to turn the old shipyard at the massive former Bethlehem Steel mill site into an offshore wind construction hub, where work initially would support an ambitious expansion of wind turbines off the coast of Ocean City, US Wind CEO Jeffrey Grybowski said.....Developer of Ocean City wind farm plans Sparrows Point steel fabrication hub to serve expansion, larger industry - Baltimore Sun

Here's something positive....

Dan Rodricks recently identified the roofs of big box stores as the ideal places to ramp up solar energy generation. He’s absolutely right (”A new Operation Warp Speed is needed, this time for climate change,” Aug. 25). From record heat waves to torrential rains, this summer’s extreme weather is proving that the climate crisis is imminent and urgent. To address the crisis, we need to accelerate the transition to 100 percent renewable energy.

Big box store rooftops and parking lots are perfect places to generate clean energy. Walmart’s U.S. locations alone could produce enough solar photovoltaic capacity to power 660,000 average American homes. Environment Maryland is calling on Walmart to commit to installing solar on all of its viable roofs and parking lots by 2035. The retailer has already pledged to achieve zero emissions by 2040 which is a good start. By publicly committing to put solar panels on its stores, Walmart has the opportunity to be climate leader in our country’s transition to 100% renewable energy....Every Walmart ought to have a solar roof and/or parking lot | READER COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

ADVERTISING

We have been contemplating solar down here. But I have too many reservations. One the panels are only guaranteed for 10 years and majority are made in China (fuck china). 2 battery packs are humungous and are not recyclable at this time. 

We've had 3 companies come out for estimates, all 3 were comparable on price, 30,000 with the rebates. Bad thing is rebates have expired in 2020. Hoping Biden releases some energy rebates. So as of now it's 40,000 for install. 

Now the fun part, all 3 companies were so far off on their sales pitch and savings our heads spun. 1 showed up with cancelled checks from the electric company saying he makes 20 to 60 a month from the electric company. We use a lot of electricity, 300 a month. We filter a pool and filter a hot tub 365 day's a year so I dismissed that company.

The other 2 were similiar, saying we are not off the grid, so expect anywhere from 70 to 100 a month electric bill. Throw on your 259 a month solar payment for 20 years and you see maybe solar is not the way to go.

Maybe after the 20 year loan is paid it would be beneficial.

China is light years ahead of us and the US has to catch up or China will control the science and technology patents. Congress must pass Biden's legislation or we will become a 2nd world nation.

Going green will cost consumers more until the technologies and infrastructure develops. Hard decisions like getting an electric car that might conk out after 150 miles. Where do you charge it during long road trips? How much time will you sit waiting for it to charge?

19 hours ago, vmax said:

China is light years ahead of us and the US has to catch up or China will control the science and technology patents. Congress must pass Biden's legislation or we will become a 2nd world nation.

Going green will cost consumers more until the technologies and infrastructure develops. Hard decisions like getting an electric car that might conk out after 150 miles. Where do you charge it during long road trips? How much time will you sit waiting for it to charge?

Why can't they put a solar panel on top of car to charge the battery? 

My cousin had a Prius for his wife. The battery went bad, it was 1900 for a new one, he traded it in. 

Why doest every parking lot in this country have solar panels in them that we park under.  I just recently saw a vid on a technology they are about to use in the UK.  They are going to add little vertical wind turbines to the light poles on the highways and as cars go by the wind off them turn the turbine.  That is in addition to a windy day.  Each one would power a few houses for a yr by the estimates.  We have a lot of highway miles with probably millions of lights on them,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have all solar lights throughout my yard, now I know they command a lot of wattage, but my 2 spotlights light up the gardens from the time it gets dark enough to daybreak. Their panels are 8"x8" . the smaller panels 3x3 I get 6 hrs out of them daily . we have those around in the mini palm trees.

Can't wait to see what kind of rebates will be available. If it's like last time it should start at 15000, and each year after a little less.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, cravnravn said:

We have been contemplating solar down here. But I have too many reservations. One the panels are only guaranteed for 10 years and majority are made in China (fuck china). 2 battery packs are humungous and are not recyclable at this time. 

We've had 3 companies come out for estimates, all 3 were comparable on price, 30,000 with the rebates. Bad thing is rebates have expired in 2020. Hoping Biden releases some energy rebates. So as of now it's 40,000 for install. 

Now the fun part, all 3 companies were so far off on their sales pitch and savings our heads spun. 1 showed up with cancelled checks from the electric company saying he makes 20 to 60 a month from the electric company. We use a lot of electricity, 300 a month. We filter a pool and filter a hot tub 365 day's a year so I dismissed that company.

The other 2 were similiar, saying we are not off the grid, so expect anywhere from 70 to 100 a month electric bill. Throw on your 259 a month solar payment for 20 years and you see maybe solar is not the way to go.

Maybe after the 20 year loan is paid it would be beneficial.

My dad got solar. He gets checks back now in the spring through fall.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:45 PM, cravnravn said:

Dee

Can't you ask your dad a couple questions? 

Do the panels void your roof warranty? We just had a roof put on in April.

Does he have battery pack back up?

Does he have enough hot water there are 3 here that take showers before sun-up?

Ty

I'll ask him. He doesn't have the ones on the roof, but from what I understand the solar company picks up the roof warranty. He's also on well, so I'm not sure the water issue relates. But I'll find out!

But, I have new roof as well and had I known that would've gotten the panels instead of a new roof.