ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens to Release Willis McGahee, Gregg, Heap, Mason

Guest BallTMore

Oh my God, I'm shocked," linebacker Jarret Johnson said. "Kelly and Heap are some of my best friends are on the team. Derrick and Willis have been such big contributors. No one is immune to it. That's all I can say."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/07/ravens_to_release_heap_and_mason_in_surprise_cuts.html

I think at least 2 of them, will be back...Heap and Mason at reduced salaries. Gregg...maybe as a back up for back up pay.

Depending on the numbers, which I haven't seen in detail, I'm a fan of the moves. I know I read that cutting Willis saves us something like $6 Mil in salary but only $2.5 Million in CAP space, so I didn't think we would cut him for only that much savings. Has anyone seen the numbers on all the other guys we cut? Please post if you have.

EDIT:

$4.6 Million for Heap. I'm going to go ahead and say that cutting him for that savings is a good move. He isn't worth that in the open market and Pitta and Dickson both impressed me last year. Still could see us bringing him back for $2 Million or so.

$4.5 Million for Mason. Given our depth and the fact that Torrey and Doss are both going to be ready to contribute on Day 1 and the fact Mason has said he wants to come back (hopefully another $2 Million or so guy), I'm a fan of that move as well.

Heap needs to be brought back, he makes plays and he blocks very well. However, another team will probably offer Heap some good money that we won't. I'm very saddened by this move. Mason is sad, but honestly, Boldin should be getting Mason's touches. If Mason was willing to take a reduced role and relish the role...I would consider bringing Mason back. Otherwise I like the cuts. Gregg will be missed.

Gregg and Heap will be missed, no doubt. It is time for Dickson/Pitta and Cody/McKinney to take over.

Mason thanks but time is running out.

McGahee well it was meant to be, too expensive and it would just be more worse next year.

And please no wild FA signings.