ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Secondary

varaven45

After watching Skins game, a few random thoughts and observations:

1. I really like Williams and Smith as our CB tandem. Yes, Smith got burned by Santana Moss for a TD but so have a lot of decent CBs. These look our best 2 CBs RIGHT NOW. I like Webb in a pass rushing situation, Carr in a nickel scenario, and Foxworth on the bench (to heal up).

2. Aside from Reed and Pollard, not real enthused about our safety play. Reed and Pollard has to be our starting tandem with Zib and Nak as our backups. BTW, does Zib look slow as hell or what ? Maybe he should stick to boxing.

3. Our secondary's play and effectiveness are naturally going to be largely influenced by our pass rush. Suggs, Kindle, McPhee, Kruger are going to have to click big time on the pass rush. If Suggs is the only legit pass rusher, our secondary will be exposed again, esp on 9/11. Hopefully, Pagano and Co will fully exploit the Steelers questionable OL.

4. This kid, Talmadge Jackson (#41 I believe), is pretty impressive although he's a bit small @ 5 -8 and 185. Still, he had a pick, is quick and has a nose for the ball. Dont know if we'll keep him but he looks good.

5. Overall, I think our secondary is a work in progress but could potentially be strong as the season unfolds. It will have a huge challenge on 9/11 eh !?

:gorave:

Talmadge Jackson had a very productive year with the Ducks. Ive had the luxury of attending every home game here in Eugene and Jackson is hit or miss with the fans here. I always thought he was a great corner yet undersized. He gives up plays but he makes even more. He was key for what the Ducks accomplished on their way to the Natty.

He led the team in solo tackles so hes not afraid to buck down and deliver a hit. Plus people forget, even the fans, that he gave up more plays because no one wants to throw to Cliff Harris on the other side. All in all I think he will make the team because hes very instinctive, has the speed, and loves to make plays. Never in his time here in Oregon has he had any character issues. Go Ravens!!

Heres a good article to get people to know a little about the kid.

Talmadge Jackson Article

If it isnt Williams & Smith out there on Sept 11th, then we're in trouble..I have nightmares of Webb trying to cover Wallace, Webb has really disapointed this pre-season, just seems like every time theres a passing play hes chasing the WR, the play is never in front of him.

2. Aside from Reed and Pollard, not real enthused about our safety play. Reed and Pollard has to be our starting tandem with Zib and Nak as our backups. BTW, does Zib look slow as hell or what ? Maybe he should stick to boxing.

I completely agree on Zibby. Not only does Zibby look slow but for someone who is supposed to be a big hitter, Zibby is pretty soft. He looks a lot smaller this season. It is not good when your strong safety is not very fast and not very physical at the same time. Prime example: see his blitz from the edge in the second quarter in the Redskins game. He was a free rusher off the edge and was one-on-one with Hightower and then tried to juke him. In that situation, as a strong safety, you need to blow the guy up into the QB’s lap. You’re the bigger and stronger guy, juking will not do anything. Pollard has to be the guy at safety, he blitzes like a runaway freight train and has the physicality we need at strong safety. Pollard has the attitude we need at strong safety.

Guest BallTMore
Pollard has the attitude we need at strong safety

Agree. However, I don't think I will ever speak his name, I simply refer to him as ,"Fuck you, mother fucker!" whenever he makes a play. Love it.

He's an upgrade over Landry. When FYMF touches you, you're hitting the turf.

• Upvote 1

Spot on Crav. On the evidence of this preseason Webb's future lies at safety. He has been constantly trailing the receiver and sometimes it looks as though he has been beat by 3 or 4 yards within 10 to 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.