ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens/ Lamar news conference today

tsylvester

Flanked by GM Eric DeCosta and head coach John Harbaugh, Lamar Jackson held his first press conference after signing a new $260 million, five-year deal that makes him the NFL's highest-paid quarterback. The mega extension includes no-tag and no-trade clauses and will pay Jackson a record $80 million in 2023, according to CBS Sports NFL insider Jonathan Jones

The press conference took on a celebratory vibe that was primarily focused on the future. On that note, Jackson opted not to discuss his recent trade request after Baltimore had placed the non-exclusive tag on him earlier this offseason.

"I didn't really care for other teams," Jackson said. "I just really wanted to get something here. Other teams are cool, but I wanted to be a Raven. I said something in 2018 … I meant that. I wanted to get this done. … I really wanted to finish my career here and win a Super Bowl here."

Jackson said that he liked the language that existed in the offer that he ultimately signed. Despite the issues coming to terms on a new deal, Jackson stressed that he never wanted to play anywhere else. He said that he also appreciated the continued support of Harbaugh and DeCosta throughout the process.

"It means a lot," Jackson said," just to have guys, your head coach and your GM, wanting you to be here and believe you can help your team achieve the ultimate goal in football."  

Jackson also wants to set more records. Already the owner of the NFL's top rushing season for a quarterback, the former league MVP has his sights set on obliterating Peyton Manning's 10-year-old single-season passing mark.

I'm very eager," Jackson said of the Ravens' upcoming season. "I think I told someone, I want to throw for like 6,000 yards with the weapons we have. I'm not an individual, award type of guy. I just want to do that because no one's ever done that before, and we have the weapons to do that. ... Just can't wait to get rolling."

That one was from CBS, this one from NBC

In early March, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson asked to be traded. In late March, he made it public. By late April, he had a deal in place with the Ravens.

During Thursday’s press conference regarding the deal, Lamar was asked to address what changed between asking to be traded and signing a new deal. He declined to elaborate.

“Today, we’re gonna keep it about the future,” Jackson said. “I’m not really worried about what happened in the past. I’m gonna keep it about these next five years. And keep it about what’s going on today. You know, it’s a great day.”

It’s clear that he was simply trying, when he asked to be traded, to get the best possible contract from the Ravens or from another team. At the end of the day, he got the best deal he could get.

Interesting takes, 6,000 yards though? How about a balanced attack? 3,000 passing, 3,000 total team rushing? 😀

Better routes, not more passing, allowing for more first downs, backing the defense up so that running lanes are easier and, open.

Not throwing 40+ times per game, but running 45 times, with 3 different backs, 30 passes that move chains, score from the Redzone, a place, hate to say it, even Gerogia struggled with at times, coach Monken.

I've probably drunk too much purple Kool-Aid the last few days but I'm starting to feel warm and fuzzy about the upcoming season.

There's a lot of talent potential on this team both on offense and defense. We could have an exceptional season if we can stay relatively healthy.