ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Jimmy Smith out "a few weeks"

cravnravn

What the hell is a "FEW WEEKS"

OWINGS MILLS - Baltimore Ravens rookie cornerback Jimmy Smith suffered a high left ankle sprain that will sideline him for at least a few weeks, according to coach John Harbaugh.

Although X-rays revealed no structural damage, the first-round draft pick could still be out for an undetermined amount of games.

"Jimmy is the one guy that had an injury that was something a little more serious," Harbaugh said Monday. "He's in a boot, he's on crutches. He had an MRI. He does have a high-ankle sprain, so that's going to be a few weeks. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Hopefully, he's a quick healer."

A former All-American selection from Colorado, Smith got hurt covering the opening kickoff of the Ravens' 35-7 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday at M&T Bank Stadium.

"That was a tough one," Harbaugh said. "The first kickoff, he runs down there, is fighting like crazy and gets caught up in a pile." :angry:

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens/ravens-notebook-cb-smith-out-with-high-ankle-sprain/article_99b371f4-ddbe-11e0-9d6c-001cc4c002e0.html

High ankle sprains are 6-8 weeks minimum. Remember Heap's bad ankle sprain? High ankle sprains aren't overly serious from my understanding, they just take forever to heal.

Although, there have obviously been some leaps in medicine that I can't afford. Puols only taking 3 weeks for a broken arm, and now Colston is only expected to be out 4 for a broken collarbone???

I thought it took all bones 6 weeks to heal??? lol

High ankle sprains are 6-8 weeks minimum. Remember Heap's bad ankle sprain? High ankle sprains aren't overly serious from my understanding, they just take forever to heal.

Although, there have obviously been some leaps in medicine that I can't afford. Puols only taking 3 weeks for a broken arm, and now Colston is only expected to be out 4 for a broken collarbone???

I thought it took all bones 6 weeks to heal??? lol

I agree Yager. From the looks of his injury and listening to Hartbaugh, I wouldnt expect to see Smith on the field until late October or early November. We'll need him for the stretch run. Until then, we have to hope Webb, Williams, Foxworth :scared: and Carr (if healthy) can hold down the fort.

:gorave:

I do remember there being rumors about Heap not taking medication, but that was only for pain and swelling (I would assume). There's no medication (I don't think lol)that actually helps to heal a high ankle sprain. Whenever a player gets these in the NFL, we never see them back in the NFL for at least a month. Heap's sprain was terrible too, I remember seeing it, his ankle was almost at a 90 degree angle to his leg. I remember one doc saying he wished he would have broken the ankle, it would have been easier to heal and fix.

No, it was because of his Mormon Beliefs, they take no man made medicines...

That's a crock, I remember explaining that before. Maybe a few goof balls don't, but that's not true at all. There's plenty of Mormon doctors and surgeons etc. They do believe in man made medicines. I've got a couple Mormon friends, and I remember asking them about this. Maybe Heap believed that, but it's not a "Mormon" thing.

That's like saying all Christians play with snakes cuz a few morons do! lol

That's a crock, I remember explaining that before. Maybe a few goof balls don't, but that's not true at all. There's plenty of Mormon doctors and surgeons etc. They do believe in man made medicines. I've got a couple Mormon friends, and I remember asking them about this. Maybe Heap believed that, but it's not a "Mormon" thing.

That's like saying all Christians play with snakes cuz a few morons do! lol

It is a mormon thing. Whether or not some don't follow the belief to the wire or not, it is, and Heap didn't take medicine to help heal his injuries. Luckily for us, we have plenty of depth at CB, and won't miss Smith for the 4 weeks he's out.

"Most high ankle sprains are initially treated with a walking boot or even a cast. The decision to use either a walking boot or cast depends on the severity of the injury and the preference of the treating physician. Both devices will restrict motion of the ankle as well as motion between the tibia and fibula, allowing the injured ligaments to heal. Again, it is important that injured individuals be informed that these injures take roughly twice as long to heal as lateral ankle sprains. In one large study, the average recovery time for these injuries was more than 40 days. As such, physical therapy may not be initiated for several weeks."

Given we have an NFL Medical staff, I'd say him missing 4 games is a safe estimate. Hopefully Carr can go next week. Don't sleep on Chykie Brown though, the guy can play, and with McAdoo about to head to the P-Sqaud and now Smith out we'll have 2 extra spots for our game day roster.

It is a mormon thing. Whether or not some don't follow the belief to the wire or not, it is, and Heap didn't take medicine to help heal his injuries. Luckily for us, we have plenty of depth at CB, and won't miss Smith for the 4 weeks he's out.

"Most high ankle sprains are initially treated with a walking boot or even a cast. The decision to use either a walking boot or cast depends on the severity of the injury and the preference of the treating physician. Both devices will restrict motion of the ankle as well as motion between the tibia and fibula, allowing the injured ligaments to heal. Again, it is important that injured individuals be informed that these injures take roughly twice as long to heal as lateral ankle sprains. In one large study, the average recovery time for these injuries was more than 40 days. As such, physical therapy may not be initiated for several weeks."

Given we have an NFL Medical staff, I'd say him missing 4 games is a safe estimate. Hopefully Carr can go next week. Don't sleep on Chykie Brown though, the guy can play, and with McAdoo about to head to the P-Sqaud and now Smith out we'll have 2 extra spots for our game day roster.

For cryin out loud, please listen people lol, here's a link from their site no less lol.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_practices.shtml#med

I think you may be thinking Jehovah's witnesses, my mom's side of the family is largely witnesses and I here them talk about that all the time. But they always cave in when things get serious and take medication. However I'm not entirely sure, so I won't talk about things I don't know.