ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

5 plays

reddog271

Runningbacks can be called for facemasking. Same rule for defenders- can't hold, pull or twist.

No, they can't. Running backs and offensive linemen can be called for illegal hands to the face. Offensive linemen can't grab facemasks, but it's only illegal for a running back to do it in combination with a stiff arm.

The stiff arm to the face by a back has always been a rule, but a point was made in the offseason to call it more often.

As this article (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/in-defense-of-the-stiff-arm/) quotes from the rulebook, “hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face or head."

A runningback can't stiff arm a defender in the facemask, but there's no facemasking rule itself that can be called against an offensive player.

We Ravens fans have been being told to shut up and stop whining about the horrendous call on Suggs for weeks now. How sweet it is to have the Titans and THEIR fans now know how it feels to be jobbed.

However, something important I think a lot of people are missing is this: the penalty on Suggs in the first Ravens-Titans game GAVE the Titans 15 yards. They got to comfortably TROT 15 yards closer to the endzone. Now, there may have been a non-call on us, but we still actually had to EXECUTE A PLAY. Joe had to make a brave, near-perfect throw and Heap a very clutch catch in crunch time against a good defense in an opposing stadium. Major difference.

Yeah the only offensive player allowed to grab a face mask is Hines Ward.

And he's especially allowed to grab the facemask in the endzone all by himself with only one defender around, right next to a referee, and then catch the TD afterward. It's pathetic that the referees don't have a better eye on this guy.

Yo dc, I knew he didnt make it out of the endzone!!!

TITANS AVOIDED A SAFETY, GOT EXTRA DOWN Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2009, 9:08 a.m.

Lost in the aftermath of Saturday's Ravens-Titans game are two mistakes -- one questionable, one obvious -- that fueled a second-quarter Tennessee drive, and that possibly saved the Titans from a safety.

(Several readers have pointed this issue out to us over the past couple of days, but we didn't have time to study the issue properly until this morning, and we didn't want to go off half-cocked . . . like we usually do.)

Facing second and nine from their own two, the Titans' first stroke of luck came after Terrell Suggs of the Ravens blasted through the line and hit running back Chris Johnson in the end zone.

Via the official PFT TiVo service (we could put those ads in a rotation with the Lucky Charms banner), it appears that the ball was not completely out of the end zone at the moment Johnson's knee hit the ground.

But the CBS announcing crew never even mentioned the possibility that the play should have been ruled a safety, and Ravens coach John Harbaugh didn't challenge it.

The Titans converted a first down on that drive, thanks to Ahmard Hall's catch and run that was capped with a viscious hit from Ray Lewis.

On the next drive, a first-down run from Chris Johnson ended in a penalty against the Titans. And referee Terry McAulay was clear: "After the play, personal foul, unnecessary roughness, offense number 76. Forearm to the head. Half the distance to the goal. Second down. The down counts."

The only problem? On the next play, the down marker still showed a "1?.

On "first" down, Johnson gained nine yards, giving the Titans "second" (i.e., third) down and three. On "second" (i.e., third) down, LenDale White was bottled up for no gain. Then on "third" (i.e., fourth) down, quarterback Kerry Collins found Justin Gage for a first down.

As Dan Dierdorf of CBS said after the play, "If this drive results in no points whatsoever, it is already an outstanding drive for Tennessee."

It was not an outstanding drive for Dierdorf or Greg Gumbel, who missed not only the potential safety but also the extra down that the Titans received.

The drive ultimately ended in an interception inside the Ravens' 10. But the drive should have ended just as it was starting with two points to Baltimore and a free kick, or a punt from deep in the Titans' own end of the field.

The fact that the Ravens won the game makes the errors less consequential, but errors indeed they were.

And, at a minimum, the mistakes help to balance out the perception that the Ravens were handed the game via the failure of the officials to call a delay of game penalty that would have wiped out a key gain during the game-winning drive.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Via the official PFT TiVo service (we could put those ads in a rotation with the Lucky Charms banner), it appears that the ball was not completely out of the end zone at the moment Johnson's knee hit the ground

I don't think the ball has to get ALL the way OUT. Just like it doesn't have to get all the way IN. The rules favor the offense.

I don't think the ball has to get ALL the way OUT. Just like it doesn't have to get all the way IN. The rules favor the offense.

I thought so too DC but according to the nFL rulebook:

Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line if the impetus came from a player on that team.

Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line if the impetus came from a player on that team.

So in other words the ball has to be entirely beyond the line? if thats the case he did not get out.

So in other words the ball has to be entirely beyond the line? if thats the case he did not get out.

Thats how it reads to me too.