ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bengals game

varaven45

With all the hype and anticpation of this game, I feel compelled to start an honest, objective assessment/prediction thread.

Here is how I size up both teams leading up to Sunday's tilt.

1. Both teams are tough on defense; the Ravens are slightly better against the run and pass. Both are among the league leaders in sacks.

QB pressure will be huge in this game as both QBs have a propensity for turning it over.

2. Offensively, both teams are statistically "middle of the pack" in the league with the Ravens having a slight edge in passing and rushing. The Ravens have a better rushing attack with Rice, Williams and Leach vs Cincys duo of Benson and Scott. Passing-wise, Flacco has been arguably better than Dalton for the season, however, in recent games Flacco's WRs are underperforming while Dalton's trio of Green, Simpson and TE Gresham are peaking. Ravens WR corps of Evans (mostly out), Boldin (out) and Smith have, as a group, been dinged up this year. Cincys WRs are generally healthy and primed for a breakout game, especially with a Ravens dinged up secondary.

3. ST-wise, neither team seems to have a big edge although Cundiff is injured and has slipped as of late. This could be critical if game comes down to a FG kick. Winds are expected to be 25-30 MPH.

4. In terms of coaching, Marvin Lewis and his coaching staff have a history of outcoaching Harbaugh and Co. The game preparation and half time adjustments by Cincy have exceeded those of the Ravens staff. Ravens' OC Cam is not a good game manager/adjuster and mysteriously underutilizes/abandons Ray Rice all too often.

5. From an intangible standpoint, Cincy HAS to win to make playoffs; The Ravens are already in. While its been well documented how the Ravens win secures a MUCH needed 1st round bye and home game, the motivation of MAKING the playoffs is potentially greater than securing a 1st round bye for a team already having a playoff spot. Plus, this is franchise changing win opportunity and a potential showcase game for Dalton and his WRs against a top 3 D on national TV. Talent and experience wise, the Ravens have a decided edge but are limping into this game after unimpressive wins and extremely uninspired offensive performances at HOME against Colts and Browns D's that are far less stout than Cincys.

Having sized it up, this game is about matchups, momentum (recent games), intensity, emotion, coaching, home crowd influence and playoff motivation. While the Ravens are a better team based on the body of work this season, overall talent, veteran leadership, and experience, I think the Bengals will prevail in a very competitive game with the outcome decided by 1-2 key turnovers/game changing plays.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I just see a 7-10 point game with the final margin of victory determined in the 4th Q. Ravens have too much to overcome without a healthy Yanda and Boldin and against an emotional, intense, Bengal squad.

Any thoughts or reactions ? Oh and Crav, dont pile on too bad ! BTW- I had this team going no better than 10-6 and making it as a WC, so it has already exceeded my expectations. Regardless , looking forward to playoffs and a healthy return of Yanda and Boldin.

:gorave:

Honest assessments are not my strong suites...:)

The Ravens have shown up and won all the big games this year and the Bengals haven't.

They will show up Sunday and find a way to win over a good and inspired Bengal squad

The loss of Yanda and Boldin really hurts and that's what keeps it close.

Long day for Andy Dalton.

Ced Benson has fumbled 5 times in his last 31 carries..Rainy weather, Ngata, Cody, Suggs & Co need to go after that slippery pigskin.

Our season history dictates how I feel about this team, just cant figure them out on the road.

Bengals win in a *** I'm stupid for thinking this game is easy ***

50-99 672 yards, 49.7% completion rate, 4 td's 5 int

Nothing Dalton has done in 3 games vs Pitt & Baltimore stands out, most of Daltons 373 yards were put up vs us while we were in the prevent D..

If Dalton plays to form, we should have no problem Sunday..

Daltons stats vs the "Big Boys"

Assessment #2.

th_strangelove_sm2.jpg "I don't expect the Ravens to show up and fire on all cylinders.

There will be a lot of cursing on the gameday thread...but....

They will win ugly. I'm certain of this. Crav just put the Curse on them. Even God can't revoke that."

I find it interesting that you Ravens fans seem to have dropped the term "Bungles" when speaking about Cincinnati. We've obviously gained some respect. We'll gain even more on Sunday! bengal.gif

Dont worry Billy, the Bungles will still make the playoffs after the asswhooping we lay on them..

I knew of all Ratbird fans, you'd be the first to reuse the Bungles term.

Guest BallTMore

Assessment #2.

th_strangelove_sm2.jpg "I don't expect the Ravens to show up and fire on all cylinders.

There will be a lot of cursing on the gameday thread...but....

They will win ugly. I'm certain of this. Crav just put the Curse on them. Even God can't revoke that."

This.

I agree that this will be close and most likely ugly.

The defense will keep it close. Our offense decides if we win the game.

I hope Bengal Joe doesn't show up. If he does I may lose it.

This.

I agree that this will be close and most likely ugly.

The defense will keep it close. Our offense decides if we win the game.

I hope Bengal Joe doesn't show up. If he does I may lose it.

I've heard he's got reservations.

Its not a reuse its a fact of life.....Once a Bungle, always a Bungle

And once a Ratbird, always a Ratbird. Happy New Year Crav!

Two thoughts on the Bengals that I don't see being mentioned as much recently as I would have expected (just as I did my game day stat walk around)

1. The Bengals have only beaten one team that currently has a winning record (the Titans). They have lost their other six, home and away... Pitt twice, Baltimore, Houston, Denver, San Francisco.

2. The Bengals are 3-4 over their last seven games, beating only the Browns, Rams and Cards. And over the time, their level of play has fallen just as much as the Ravens - at least statistically. Dalton hasn't thrown for 200 yards in the last four games, Benson hasn't rushed for 100 in that span either. In fact, Benson's been held under 60 yards twice in that span.

I'm of course not trying to trash talk, I'm just noting it. I've been inundated, and begun to believe, a lot of the talk about how the Ravens are fading and hardly playing their best ball. On the other end, I've only heard talk about Cincinnati - even today on ESPN and CBS - about them "growing up" and "turning the corner" recently. But that doesn't seem to be the truth. Perhaps because I haven't followed as closely as in the past, I'm only getting the sensational story as we play a game with playoff implications. Regardless, I simply don't buy the hype of "the drive for the playoffs" can alone save a team that has struggled against good teams and struggled more broadly in recent weeks.

Three teams from one division? I don't believe tat has ever been done before!

The Western Division imploded this year until the Chargers got their act together...the Colts collapsed as did the Jets so who better than us, Pittsburgh and you guys?

The Western Division imploded this year until the Chargers got their act together...the Colts collapsed as did the Jets so who better than us, Pittsburgh and you guys?

Well you guys swept the division. Until someone knocks you off, you're on top.