ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Harbaugh: Ravens Willing to Pay to Keep Ray Lewis

ravinmaniac52

-- Harbaugh: Ravens Willing to Pay to Keep Ray Lewis --

Mon Feb 9, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

The New York Post reports Baltimore Ravens HC John Harbaugh told USA Today he believes the team was willing to dish out big bucks to keep free-agent LB Ray Lewis. "Ray Lewis is going to be a guy we're going to pay a lot of money to in order to keep," Harbaugh said from the Pro Bowl. "(owner ) Steve ( Bisciotti) said he thinks we'll be willing to pay more than anybody else. I know Ray has to take a look around. But I'm definitely convinced that Ray wants to finish his career a Baltimore Raven. And there's no question the Baltimore Ravens definitely want Ray."

This is very hard for me to call or get a read on. At the moment, I don't think the market will be as insane for Ray as many think. By that I mean his price and signing bonus won't be astronomical. It will be high...top 5 MLB money...but not "Highest paid/new record" type money.

If he gets...let's say a #5 MLB money offer...that isn't so scary. Steve can match or beat that.

I'm more worried about what he has left in the tank. 'Last chance at big money' will make a man hide a lot of weaknesses. Ray may not be worth '#5 MLB' money.

Like I said...I can't get a read on this. It's also possible teams who want to shake their loser team mentalities and get a strong character field general....teams who desperately need to change the locker room, attitudes and passion will pay heavily for his services.

It's a toss up.

Actually, all it takes is 1 team willing to over spend on Ray to force the Ravens to over spend if they want him that badly.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...owl-notes_N.htm

The Ravens created this monster and now they have to pay the monster. I don't think he has much left in the tank. What he does have is control of the defense and the fans. I don't want a circus act like the last years of Ripken in Baltimore. The money spent on the circus act would be better spent on younger talent and retaining the younger players on the team. I'll miss him. Good luck Ray.

I don't understand the coach coming out and saying he feels the owner will pay big bucks for a certain player. That seems to erode all bargaining position from Biscotti's end doesn't it? This seems against Harbaugh's MO. I wonder what's up?

...read the entire article.

Owner Steve Bisciotti has said he's putting his wife on a budget to be able to afford Lewis, fellow linebackers Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott, center Jason Brown and safety Jim Leonhard, who all become free agents Feb. 27.

"Ray Lewis is going to be a guy we're going to pay a lot of money to in order to keep," Harbaugh said before coaching the AFC in Sunday's Pro Bowl. "Steve said he thinks we'll be willing to pay more than anybody else.

Think about this. Its not about the money (at least I hope it isn't), its about the status quo. He's one of the greatest linebackers of all time and he knows it. In this day, money shows how great of a player you are so of course he wants that tag with him. Its all about ego, and if we just state that we are willing to pay him all that money it could be a reverse physiology thing. Ya never know.