ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Orioles Offseason Topic

First playoff appearance in 15 years and we take the Yankees to the brink in a five game series, all without arguably our best player. I felt a momentum swing in that series between us and the Yankees. Could this be the era of a new generation? The Yankees barely skimped by while I feel we would have been able to give the Tigers a better matchup. At the end of our last playoff game Peter Angelos gave a post game interview, something he never does. He stated something along the lines of being committed toward making sure we will return to the playoffs and Oriole fans can expect this type of success in the future. Does this mean Angelos is ready to spend? We are a very good team and I feel we have the chance to get A LOT better. Dan Duquette made some shrewd moves last offseason, and a few more could put us over the top.

Priority list:

- The short stop situation: Machado is the guy of the future. With a baseball IQ well beyond his years, Machado also proved this season he is a Gold Glove quality third baseman. While his bat is good for third base, it would be excellent for short stop. If Machado spends another year at third, it may be the point of no return to shortstop. What do we do with Hardy and Machado?

- A top of the rotation starter: I feel we have some solid candidates for the rotation with Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, and Tillman. Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz will all get a shot. And Bundy is waiting in the wings (likely start the season in AAA) and he will for sure get some starts. Do we try and re-sign Joe Saunders. Or do we go for a bigger fish in Zack Greinke or Kyle Lohse?

- Left field: Nate McLouth played excellent down the stretch and in the playoffs. He is surprising athletic and plays great defense. He also gets on base. No one knows how Nolan Reimold is. He was tearing it up before getting injured. Do we go with one of these guys? Do we go with a younger in-house option like Hoes or Avery? A plattoon of both? Or do we go for a big bat in Josh Hamilton?

- Mark Reynolds: He has a pretty expensive option, but I think it is no doubt we pick it up and he is our everyday first baseman.

I think Duquette will make some more trades. I doubt we'll go after a big free agent. But I could see us going hard after Padres third baseman Chase Headley. Headley is an on base guy and plays Gold Glove defense. Headley would immediately be our number three hitter and would allow us to move Machado to SS. Hardy could be an option at 2B at that point.

What does everyone else think?

I still like the outfield combo of Jones, Markakis,and BJ Upton, also the poitcher the Rays have Price is a FA after 2013, if we can get by with our current staff, He would be a great #1 for us in the 2014 season.

Im at a loss with R\eynolds, he had a horrible post season, as did the rest of our hitters..

Why move Mannyland to SS? JJ still has a few more seasons in him, love Flaherty at 2nd,

Shortstop is probably the most difficult position to play defensively. If a big guy like Manny spends too much time away from the position he risk losing the feel for the position and may not be able to go back. Manny has a lot more worth at SS than he has at 3B.

One more name to throw out for LF: how about Nick Swisher? I see him as the Hines Ward of baseball. He doesn't do on thing great but he does everything well (he gets on base, plays defense, has a little speed and has pop). He's a guy you hate but would love him on your team. He always seems to kill us.

1. Machado stays at third for now.

2. I would prefer to see James Shields - I think he'll be the most affordable, but arguably the best of the names out there. He won't be cheap though. He is necessary.

3. Hold McLouth and Reimold. McLouth was great; Reimold will be solid if healthy. Wouldn't mind seeing us dive into another bat there, but I am comfortable with our line-up with either of them in there. And Markakis of course. It's second base I am most worried about. We need a solution not named Andino.

4. Keep Reynolds, but we can decline the option (500k buyout) and send him to arbitration. It would save us a bit.

1. Machado stays at third for now.

2. I would prefer to see James Shields - I think he'll be the most affordable, but arguably the best of the names out there. He won't be cheap though. He is necessary.

Do you think the Rays would trade Shields to a division rival? I have a feeling the asking price would be way too high. He would be a game changer though.

I am very curious to see what is done with Machado and Hardy. Machado is a big shortstop, I just hope he doesn't lose the feel for the position.

I thought Shields was a FA this year. That's what the announcers were saying all the time in the final weeks when we played the Rays a few times... if that's wrong, then I guess he's off the table. I was only considering him as a FA possibility.

Here is an article from Buster Olney on a short offseason preview for all 30 teams. Here's what Olney said about the O's:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=olney_buster&id=8568597

Baltimore Orioles: They could be the sleeping giants of the winter, because their playoff berth of 2012 gave them credibility and now they have money to spend -- for help at first base or in the rotation. They are viewed, among rival executives, as one of the teams most likely to make a big, pricey splash this winter.

Three Gold Gloves for the O's!!!! woulda been 4 if CC Fat Ass didnt plunk Nick on purpose and shorten his season.

JJ rec'd his first gold glove ever, hats off to him..

I dont agree with the Olney article, the O's are set at first base, if they go to arbitration and present a decent offer to Reynolds..He impressed me with his defense.And when he gets hot there is not a more dangerous hitter in the league. Lets not forget the O's sliced a 10 game lead off the Yankmees in late August, to make this the most memorable season in almost 2 decades!! Most of it on the bat of Reynolds.

Thoughts on Flaherty as our everyday 2nd baseman?

Three Gold Gloves for the O's!!!! woulda been 4 if CC Fat Ass didnt plunk Nick on purpose and shorten his season.

JJ rec'd his first gold glove ever, hats off to him..

I dont agree with the Olney article, the O's are set at first base, if they go to arbitration and present a decent offer to Reynolds..He impressed me with his defense.And when he gets hot there is not a more dangerous hitter in the league. Lets not forget the O's sliced a 10 game lead off the Yankmees in late August, to make this the most memorable season in almost 2 decades!! Most of it on the bat of Reynolds.

Thoughts on Flaherty as our everyday 2nd baseman?

Congrats to our three guys! The recognition for Hardy's defense is well overdue!

I like Flaherty a lot. The guy is a baseball player. High IQ (Vandy guy), he works counts, plays solid defense, and has great fundamentals. You can tell he has been coached well. I am just not so sure how high his ceiling is. If we cannot trade for Headley to play third base, and shift Machado and Hardy to SS and 2B respectfully, I would certainly give Flaherty a shot at 2B with Roberts working in slowly to the rotation based upon how healthy he is. That rotation could be a good bridge until our 2B of the future, Jonathan Schoop is ready. BTW, Schoop is doing excellent in the Arizona Fall League.The AFL is the best competition a prospect can play in outside of the majors.

That is what I hate about MLB. The season is over why are awards going out now? Give them out in Feb.

I actually like how quickly everything happens after the season ends. The season ends, awards are given out within the next few days, the Arizona Fall League is in action, and free agency starts seven days after the season ends no matter what. No wasted time here.

Tampa Bay infielder Jeff Keppinger could be an option as our primary second baseman. Good defender, has versatility, and is a high contact/on base guy.

Tampa Bay infielder Jeff Keppinger could be an option as our primary second baseman. Good defender, has versatility, and is a high contact/on base guy.

Is that the dude with all the tatoo's??

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what we are going to do with Mark Reynolds? I would love to see what he could do with a full season only having to focus on first base. I think his 2009 numbers with Arizona would be realistic. I hope we bring him back, I do not think this is another first base option out there that would be close to the production we would get from Reynolds. Not to mention Reynolds played awesome defense at first. He should only get better after an offseason of work at the position.

Reynolds was not offered a contract, he is now a FA..

Did BJ Upton get paid or what?

Im telling ya, when Price(TB) is a FA after next season, I hope we are first in line with the check book, if he duplicates the season he just completed.

Edited by cravnravn

I know Stan the Fan and he knows his stuff when it comes to baseball and the Orioles. I heard him on the radio yesterday and the O's have a lot of options. They will not stay stagnent in their quest to get better.

Here's some of Stan's recent thoughts...

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=9661

Baltimore-Orioles-Logo-3.gif

O's apparently want Billy Butler... so does everyone else in the world. 26, 300 hitter, 20+ HRs, great first base... but he's also a trade, not a FA.

The "Five Questions" today in the Sun said the O's would rather trade Tillman/Matusz than Britton/Arrietta. I don't get it. Well, I guess I would just switch Arrietta and Tillman. Tillman has actually become quite the pitcher. Arrietta has gone in reverse. I see the upside on Britton, so I get wanting to hold him. But I can't see holding Arrietta more than Tillman. And Matusz had such a stellar stop in the bullpen, I just don't get wanting to move him either... but oh well.

I just hope we don't trade all the pitching away for a bat ....