ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Wild Card Weekend Picks

vmax

Bengals/Texans:

Here's a battle of 2 teams who can't win in the playoffs. Both QB's are struggling coming into this game. Schaub has 1 TD in his last 4 games. 1! Dalton has 5 picks in his last 5 games. Both should continue to struggle in this game so it will come down to who can run the ball, avoid the costly turnover and make a few big plays. The Texans are struggling in the redzone. If the Bengal D can play good redzone D and continue to bail out their offense with turnovers then they have a shot. After watching the Ravens second and 3rd unit players handle the Bengals, I'm giving the edge to Houston at home with Foster and home field being the difference.

Packers/Vikings:

I'm feeling an upset here. If the weathers bad...and it looks like it, then this will favor the Vikings because they can run like crazy with Peterson. The Pack were knocked out in round 1 last year and they still have that taste in their mouth. They will be focused this game. It took a career game for Ponder and an incredilbe, inspiring run at the single season rushing record by Peterson for the Vikings to win last week. I don't see Ponder playing that well again. I'll take the Packers at home.

Ravens/Colts:

They run out of luck in Baltimore. 8 of the Colts wins were against some ragged ugly teams. The Colts can't stop the run and the Ravens running game is on fire. The return of Ray Lewis and an out of their mind home crowd will be a brick wall that they can't overcome. They've never played in a situation like this....the Ravens are used to it....banged up as they are. Ravens all the way.

Seahawks/Indigenous Persons:

I want to stick with the Home Team Winning theme in this toss up. All of Seatlle's losses are on the road. They have the defense to keep them in this game and maybe eek out a win but Morris is the difference in this game...not the QB's. I see a win for the Indigenous Persons, who are slowly waking up, dumb as they are, to the fact that they need to change their name. Warriors! Hello! Washington Warriors! That's a good one!

The Bengals need a QB.....

Cincinnati's Andy Dalton had a horrid time. He completed 4-of-10 passes for 3 yards in the first half. With Watt's sack added in, the Bengals had minus-6 yards passing and only 53 yards overall.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330105034

The Bengal D kept them in the game playing tight in the redzone and getting that pick 6. They lost because they couldn't get off the field by giving up 420 yards and letting Houston go 8 for 17 on 3rd down. Huge time of possesion advantage to Houston...39 minutes to 21. That happened because the Bengal offense went 0 for 9 on 3rd down.

The Bengals need a QB.....

The Bengal D kept them in the game playing tight in the redzone and getting that pick 6. They lost because they couldn't get off the field by giving up 420 yards and letting Houston go 8 for 17 on 3rd down. Huge time of possesion advantage to Houston...39 minutes to 21. That happened because the Bengal offense went 0 for 9 on 3rd down.

Cincy has to be very disappointed that Dalton and co couldn't step up in this game. I love how everyone was on Cincy down the stretch. They offense couldn't do anything against the Steelers and the defense bailed them out, and in one half they could only muster one ref-assisted TD against our second stringers. Dalton showed no progress from last year in the playoffs.

I turned the Packer game off at halftime...it was crappy.

One thought after these first two games: You have to have a QB who can make plays and move the ball down the field if you want to get to the Super Bowl. Not a novel thought....everybody's been saying that fror years...but to get past Manning and Brady if you don't have that QB, then you have no shot. The Bengals don't have that QB. Houston doesn't either. Houston is not built to come from behind. They struggle in the redzone. 19 points won't get the job done.

Now it comes down to Joe. Is he the kind of QB who can go toe to toe with Manning and Brady?

He did in last years playoff loss and this years win over the Pats. He didn't get the job done against Manning this year.

He has to get past Luck and the Colts today to answer that question....but...with Joe the Ravens have a shot unlike Dalton and Schaub.

I disagree about schaub. I think he has what it takes. I would be surprisrd if they dont make a game out of it. Schaub is one of those qbs that can flourish with a solid run game. He has also shown to be pretty clutch with the game on the line. I think he and flacco are very similar.

I disagree about schaub. I think he has what it takes. I would be surprisrd if they dont make a game out of it. Schaub is one of those qbs that can flourish with a solid run game. He has also shown to be pretty clutch with the game on the line. I think he and flacco are very similar.

Well...if you want to compare him to "Bad Joe" then yea...they have some simularities. Schaub has 1 TD in his last 5 games...that is really bad. With everything on the line, he could not "comeback" or get the job done, so they are a road team instead of a #1 seed. Schaub has to have that running game going and then he's very efficient.

Not just comparing him to bad Flacco, but to Good Flacco too. It's true that Shaub didn't play well down the stretch...but it's also true that even with the poor finish, schaub led the texans to 12 wins. I think he's underappreciated around the league much like Joe is. Neither one is consistent enough to be Manning, Brady, Brees or Rodgers, but each has the ability to beat those guys in a big game.

I missed on the Skins game. The Shannahans have ruined RG3 in one year. He'll be a cripple after 2.

There something you and I agree on. The guy is plenty talented as a backup QB so I don't know why they allow him to run around like they do. It's unnecessary risk.

And how about that he said/he said with Shanahan and James Andrew?