ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Schmuck Steps Out

vmax

LOL!...I love it...this is definately comming from left field...

My take: This will be the week that Brett does what Brett does sometimes, throw two or three damaging picks. It's early in the week, but I'm picking the Ravens to win and I think you'll be surprised at how well the defense handles Peterson and the Minnesota running game in the wake of Cedric Benson's great afternoon yesterday at M&T Bank Stadium. It was a wakeup call and I believe Greg Mattison and the defense will wake up.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2009/10/ravens_what_about_brett.html

cs_258.jpg

LOL @ this fan response...

The only problem with your analysis is that the Ravens couldn't flush a turd down a toilet. We have no pass rush at all and our blitzes are so predictable that they are easily picked up.

Posted by: Jake

WEDCRASH1.jpg

Guest BallTMore

I think we can stop Peterson too, and beat Minnesota.

Benson did something no back has done to us in 40 games. And what was the previous streak before that? 25+ games?

So in 60+ games we've had two running backs go over 100 yards. Nothing to start panicking over.

The Vikings defense will be a challenge, but I think the offense will play better this week, even against a very good Vikings' defense. Our offense has played well in 4 of 5 games. We would have loved those statistics a few years ago.

We're still very much in the hunt. Two losses in a row tends to make fans think the sky is falling, but remember, we were 2-3 last season through 5 games.

My only concern with us being 3-2 at this point is the schedule coming up:

@ Minnesota, who is 5-0 and who will be very tough to beat in the dome.

vs Denver, also 5-0, and just beat the Pats

@ Cincy, who just beat us at home

@ Cleveland, which we should win going away

vs Indy, who we played in 2008 (L 31-3), 2007 (L 44-20), 2006 (L 15-6), 2005 (L 24-7), 2004 (L 20-10), and 2002 (L 22-20). The last time we beat the Colts was 2001 (39-27). That was, like, 15 QBs ago. Also, anyone notice a trend with those victory margins? We might lose by 35 this time with the way our secondary has been playing.

vs. Pittsburgh, who beat us 3 times last year, who will have Polamalu back, and the game is on Sunday night

@ GB, this time on Monday night.

As of right now, I think we'd be a favorite in maybe 3 of those games (Cleveland, GB, and Pitt, and those last two are a stretch.) Now, I think we are a better team than we are showing right now, but we'll have to change real quick to prove that.

At the end of this stretch, I think we can be anywhere between 9-3 (cause I doubt we're gonna beat Indy) and 4-8 (cause we ain't losing to Cleveland). Any record between there though, and it would not surprise me at this point. And that is what frightens me about this season.

Quit panicking, and BMW, why freak out about that 7 game stretch and fail to mention that 3 of the last 4 games we play are gimmes(Oakland, Chicago, Detroit), with Pittsburgh being the only challenge. Cincy WONT beat us twice, we'll beat Cleveland, and probably go .500 in the tough games, I'm not worried.

Quit panicking, and BMW, why freak out about that 7 game stretch and fail to mention that 3 of the last 4 games we play are gimmes(Oakland, Chicago, Detroit), with Pittsburgh being the only challenge. Cincy WONT beat us twice, we'll beat Cleveland, and probably go .500 in the tough games, I'm not worried.

Even if we grant your scenario here (.500 in the tough games listed, meaning all those outside Cleveland) and the best case scenario of winning 3 of the last 4 here (even though Chicago is no gimme game), that would still leave as at 10-6, which may not be good enough for a playoff spot in the AFC. I think its likely that one of the wildcards comes out of the AFC North, while the other one will be whoever finishes 2nd in the East of the Dolphins/Pats/Jets or the Chargers. I doubt, since all 3 teams have to play each other still at least once, the Ravens, Bengals, and Steelers will all make the playoffs. Its possible, but unlikely. So, this is why I'm worried.