ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Meet me at the Key Bridge in one hour!

Guest BallTMore

This team has pushed me over the edge. We love to find ways to lose.

This is the season of coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Because we came back and made it close, the defense will escape the scrutiny they deserve, but they have played like crap in every game but 1 this year. Get rid of Mattison

Because we came back and made it close, the defense will escape the scrutiny they deserve, but they have played like crap in every game but 1 this year. Get rid of Mattison

This deserves a whole new thread OTR.

I'm thinking like you....with one exception...

Marvin could not get his D to perform until he got corners in McAlister and Starks. In '96 and '97 the offense was very good but the defense stopped nobody.

Mattison can only do so much with this secondary.

This deserves a whole new thread OTR.

I'm thinking like you....with one exception...

Marvin could not get his D to perform until he got corners in McAlister and Starks. In '96 and '97 the offense was very good but the defense stopped nobody.

Mattison can only do so much with this secondary.

foxworth and washington are signed to big long term deals and are going nowhere. Week 4 we have clayton to blame, week 5 is the secondary, week 6 is haushka. THis is so depressing. Every week a sense of false hope at the end only to be let down.

foxworth and washington are signed to big long term deals and are going nowhere. Week 4 we have clayton to blame, week 5 is the secondary, week 6 is haushka. THis is so depressing. Every week a sense of false hope at the end only to be let down.

I think you are wrong about Fabian, I believe he is in a contract year.

Btw week 6 is also the secondary to blame.

The Ravens did nothing in the 1st half...Haush didn't lose this game.

Slow start by the O...poor secondary coverage over the middle of the field...blown assignments...and the penalties.

The Ravens are beating themselves.

Watching Jared Allen today made me realize how Suggs just is not an elite pass rusher. Don't get me wrong, Suggs is a solid all-around player, but he is not in Allen's class. Allen gets after the passer on EVERY play and is still able to stop everything to his side. Suggs does not have the inventory of moves that Allen has. If Suggs does not get that quick jump off the line, he gives up. The Vikings never rushed more than four rushers the whole game, but Allen was a one man wrecking crew. Suggs really needs to step up his game.

Well... Suggs is not asked to rush in the same way Allen is on every play. Suggs takes plenty of snaps on the strong side and also takes lots of snaps where he doesn't rush at all.

Additionally, Allen was going against a rookie starting just his second game on the left side... the whole left side was in trouble all day long.

Meanwhile, Max... see the blog post that will feed here in a moment... Hauschka gets some blame. Whether it should have come down to that kick or shouldn't have... it did. And he missed it. It was makeable, there's no "hard kick to make" bull to claim... he missed a very makeable 44 yarder and it cost this team the game. Period. No excuses.

Well... Suggs is not asked to rush in the same way Allen is on every play. Suggs takes plenty of snaps on the strong side and also takes lots of snaps where he doesn't rush at all.

Additionally, Allen was going against a rookie starting just his second game on the left side... the whole left side was in trouble all day long.

Meanwhile, Max... see the blog post that will feed here in a moment... Hauschka gets some blame. Whether it should have come down to that kick or shouldn't have... it did. And he missed it. It was makeable, there's no "hard kick to make" bull to claim... he missed a very makeable 44 yarder and it cost this team the game. Period. No excuses.

You are right, our defenses are different. However, I don't buy that whole Allen going against a rookie thing. Allen has abused every offensive tackle he has gone against, in the running and passing games. Anyways, if you want to play that argument, remember, Suggs was going against a rookie at times as well. By the way, Allen was having to rush around tight-ends as well, there is no excuse for Suggs, he simply is not in Allen's league.

And I am deliberately taking about the plays where Suggs DOES rush. He has one move, getting a quick jump off of the snap. If he does not beat the offensive tackle, he gives up and looks to stand in the QB's passing lane to bat down the pass (as a result, he is very susceptible to pump fakes, even as he is closing in on a sack). No motor once-so-ever. Krueger needs to get some opportunities rushing the passer.

As for the kick, I agree with you dc, is was a perfectly make-able kick. The kick is on turf, in a dome with no weather interference, the snap was perfect, the hold was good, and there was no heavy rush. A kicker could not have asked for a more controlled setting (do we have to put the ball in the middle of the field?). If Steve cannot make that kick, we has no point being on this team. Bring in the next guy.

Point taken dc.

He should have made it. This is the NFL...you have to make those.

I'll say it...Stover would have made it.

'Penny-wise and pound foolish' look on the Front Offices face...and coaching staff.

The snap was high and inside to Koch. Koch did a good job of getting it down. With the crowd noise the not so perfect snap it threw off Haushkas timing. That being said I'm not sure Haushka is going to make it in this league. I don't think he can deal with pressure well. Problem is its going to take many losses before this is determined.

Watching the Jets-Bills now... I think my problem is if you miss that kick wide, you miss it wide ACROSS the uprights... not to the same side you're on. I'd rather see you push it too far, than pull it and have the ball never even been in an area that would be 'good.'

Same thing happened with Lindell 10 minutes ago in Jets-BIlls.

Well I'm watching the morning news here in Pitt and I'm seeing that Jeff Reed just got cited for public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Maybe they'll cut him : )

I hated to see Stover go, but I was on board with Harbaugh's decision to move on. Stover's range was getting worse and worse and we needed to get another kicker. I just wished we would have picked up an experienced kicker or at least evaluated Hashucka a little better. Like Dapetes said, we are going to have to run him out there a lot more times before we can get an idea of how he handles pressure (so far not well!)

Suggs should never have gotten that deal. This team will learn to regret it.

The Ravens last yr played over their heads. After the season Ozzie should have decided to plug some holes this team had. He did not. He kept dead wieght in Landry, Dwil, and Walker. Foxworth may end up blowing up in his face.

You can play over your head for a season but not 2. I said 9-7 before the season and they could very well be worse.

Suggs should never have gotten that deal. This team will learn to regret it.

The Ravens last yr played over their heads. After the season Ozzie should have decided to plug some holes this team had. He did not. He kept dead wieght in Landry, Dwil, and Walker. Foxworth may end up blowing up in his face.

You can play over your head for a season but not 2. I said 9-7 before the season and they could very well be worse.

I do not think we will regret the deal, but they definitely overpaid. The bottom line is Suggs is a very solid player. He stops everything to his side in the run game and he is good in coverage. Also, he is really starting to come into his own as a leader. He is definitely a top ten linebacker. The key is linebacker, as I think that is what he has become. He is an inconsistent pass rusher now, he pretty much has one move, if you call getting off of the line quickly a move. Like I said, Suggs is a solid player, a fringe Pro-Bowler, just not an elite player.

As for Ozzie deciding to keep Landry, D-Will, and Walker, these are all low cost moves. considering there were too many other options in terms of what we could do with the cap, you cannot really blame Ozzie. All three guys are free agents, and will most likely not be back. As for the Foxworth signing, it looks really bad right now, but all we can hope is that he improves and starts to play like he did in Atlanta last season. It is hard for me to believe that Ozzie missed the mark that much on this guy.

Suggs is making more money than any other def player in the league. For that he needs to be getting to the QB. He is one dementional. He gets to the QB when everything is right for him meaning a great passrush from the other side to give him single coverage. A couple of yrs ago they should have traded him for monster picks and moved on. Now we are stuck with him.

Landry and williams I think are making $1.4 mil. We are where on the cap now. We could have gotten rookies with lower salaries to do their jobs as well as they do. That said Ziby and Nakamora need to be giveen a shot at Landry's spot.

Williams is useless. I would take that kid from Duke on the roster over him now. I thought they had these hard calls to make during cuts. Seems like they kept some of the wrong people.

Suggs is making more money than any other def player in the league. For that he needs to be getting to the QB. He is one dementional. He gets to the QB when everything is right for him meaning a great passrush from the other side to give him single coverage. A couple of yrs ago they should have traded him for monster picks and moved on. Now we are stuck with him.

Landry and williams I think are making $1.4 mil. We are where on the cap now. We could have gotten rookies with lower salaries to do their jobs as well as they do. That said Ziby and Nakamora need to be giveen a shot at Landry's spot.

Williams is useless. I would take that kid from Duke on the roster over him now. I thought they had these hard calls to make during cuts. Seems like they kept some of the wrong people.

You are right, for what he is being paid he should be getting 15 sacks, but Suggs is hardly one-dimenstional. He is well rounded: He is outstanding versus the run, good against the pass, and is decent rushing the passer. He is good for about eight sacks a year. Not great, but by no means a slouch. But yes, Suggs is overpaid. And as for trading him, when you have a team that you believe is on the cusp of a Super Bowl, you do not trade one of your best players.

Do you really think undrafted rookies could be playing better than Landry and Williams? Sorry, I don't buy it. Nakamora and Zibby have been getting more time as of late, this should continue if Landry struggles.

As for Demetrius Williams, I heard he is in the coach's doghouse big time. He could very be out the door soon...