ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ongoing Orioles thread.....

Spen

Yea...that was a nice win. Everybody contributed which is what it takes. McLouth, Markakis, Jones, Davis, Reimhold and Flaherty.

It didn't get out of hand because the Stankies couldn't capitalize with runners in scoring position. The bullpen showed up and Hammel gets a win.

What a game, between the schedule show and flipping back to the O's it was a fantastic night.

The best part, was the crying going on between the Rays announcers that Adam Jones didnt touch 2nd base on his way back to 1st base(he didnt) then the dead silence as Weitz deposits the first pitch 3/4 the way up left center bleachers was FANTASTIC..

Strop is a great young pitcher. His spring (in the WBC) was outstanding. A little rough to start the year, but hardly bad let alone awful.

How short our memories are. He was one of the best set-up men in the league last year for 5 months - his first full season. He struggled a bit in the last month, but perhaps expected given fatigue after appearing in 70 (70!) games. For those bad at math, that's just under half of the team's games. In his first 50 appearances last year he posted a 1.20 ERA and was averaging 8Ks per 9 innings.

In 6 appearances this year, he's been flawless - 1 hit, 0 walks - in 4 of them. He's had two, admittedly, very rough outings.

If you can find me someone that can replace his skill set - let's talk. Until then - lose the short-term memory and wake-up! 27 years old, devastatingly unhittable stuff, and the heart of this bullpen in many ways. But sure, maybe Zach Britton is worth another shot at the moment.

And as for all the general "uninspired" talk. Give me a break. We're three weeks into the season. Come on, people. Look at this schedule: 3 away, 3 home, 6 away, 3 home... that's just silly. And the first three series we played were all "home openers" making for even weirder stuff.

If the DH role starts to hit - AKA if we stop relying solely on Davis and Jones - we've got some big places to go.

I recall last season Strop giving me the sweats when he came in.

Me too, but like dc said, he gets the job done.

Too bad last night was a rain out. I wanted to see them build on the extra inning win.

Strop had a rough September last year - which is what most people are remembering. I agree, in September he was rocky. But again - those were games 55-70 - in his first full season. His first 50 games were brilliant and he was practically unhittable.

This is not to apply to those here - but one of the reasons so many people only remember that September swoon is because they weren't watching the first 5 months of the season! (In addition to the fact that most people have incredibly short-term memories that serve them poorly - it's why we put up with Ty Wigginton and Luke Scott for so long - and many others - because people would only remember that one home run last week, usually a one-run homerun in a worthless moment, and forget his 0-18 every other week.

Here's the line you can use... "WAR" is "Wins over Replacement" - an advanced metric that decides how many wins a player contributed over the "average" player in their role. As relative numbers,

(Hitters usually have a much higher WAR because they play more)

Mike Trout: 10.8

Bryce Harper: 5.2

Albert Pujols: 5.0

Adam Jones: 3.8

Craig Kimbrel, the Braves amazing closer: 3.3

Fernando Rodney, who recorded the lowest closer ERA ever last year: 3.8

Jim Johnson, the Orioles closer (who is great): 2.4

Pedro Strop: 2.5

Darren O'Day: 1.7

dc...you must keep enlightening us.... :D

I did watch and follow most of the games last year but I've been out of following baseball for over a decade.

I have a lot of catching up to do.

This is not to apply to those here - but one of the reasons so many people only remember that September swoon is because they weren't watching the first 5 months of the season! (In addition to the fact that most people have incredibly short-term memories that serve them poorly - it's why we put up with Ty Wigginton and Luke Scott for so long - and many others - because people would only remember that one home run last week, usually a one-run homerun in a worthless moment, and forget his 0-18 every other week.

Way before your time DC, Strop is Don Stanhouse with a tan.