ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Suggs last year as a Raven?

Money

They drafted Upshaw two years ago. Signed Dumervil. Drafted John Simon (and Kapron Lewis-Moore) and are converting McPhee to play more like a rush end (which I actually love). The cap hits next year:

Ngata $16m

Flacco $14.8m

Suggs $12.4m

Webb $10.5m

Rice $8.75m

Yanda $8.45m

That's obviously a lot of cap space. I know there are rumors of "significant growth" for the 2014 cap, but I don't know how much.

I'm sure Suggs' performance this year will factor greatly into their decision.

I'd say Ngata before Suggs. Early indication is he's going to be the leader on defense.

If they release Ngata after this year, they would have $15mil in dead space against the cap. Ray Rice would be $14.25mil in dead space. Webb would be $10mil in dead space. With Suggs, it would be $4.6m in dead space...which means he's the one the Ravens can most easily part ways with.

Before this last offseason I would guarantee we would sign Suggs to an extension to push out his cap number. But after the Boldin situation I have no idea what will happen with Suggs. Yes his cap number is huge. If he has a monster year he will have some leverage against us. In that situation we would probably try and work out a long term deal. If he has a so-so year, we will be looking at a paycut situation and from there who knows.

• Upvote 1

Before this last offseason I would guarantee we would sign Suggs to an extension to push out his cap number. But after the Boldin situation I have no idea what will happen with Suggs. Yes his cap number is huge. If he has a monster year he will have some leverage against us. In that situation we would probably try and work out a long term deal. If he has a so-so year, we will be looking at a paycut situation and from there who knows.

Cleetz hit this one on the money. Even at 'only' a 4.6 Mil cap hit in dead space, we are really hurting ourselves. If Suggs' returns to 75% of himself, that player is worth about $8 Million, so I don't see how we cut him. Here's hoping he returns to form and we can sign him to a long-term extension.