ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ed Dickson

Money

I'm telling you guys...Dickson is going to have a great year. He's always had the talent, but now I feel like he has the maturity (not that he's ever been a trouble-maker). I was listening to Glenn Younes (105.7) and he was talking about how Dickson just had his 2nd child. He's playing for a contract that could have his family and their families set up for life. I think he knows what an opportunity this is and my bet is he takes full advantage. Here's a couple of his quotes:

“My expectations before the season, coming into the season, were to contribute and help this team get back to where we were last year, and that’s winning the Super Bowl,” Dickson said. “I wanted my production to go up, and how do you get your production to go up? You have to prove out here in practice each and every day that you’re the guy, and you can get the job done.”

One area where Dickson is trying to grow is in developing chemistry with quarterback Joe Flaccoicon-article-link.gif. Pitta and Flacco were good friends off the field, and that connection translated to the football field.

“The bond that they had was on and off the field,” Dickson said. “They eat breakfast and everything together. So, I’m not going to stalk Joe and follow him around, but I’m going to be right there in his pocket.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ed-Dickson-I-Have-To-Step-Up/4ea7cd6b-1c8d-4a4d-b59e-a0cc0763884c

Attitude is wonderful but can he hold onto the football?

Well...if you look at his draft profiles, his pass catching was considered his biggest strength (besides overall athleticism) and it was his blocking that was considered his biggest weakness. Here's one:

Biography: Former defensive lineman who's been a three-year starter at tight end. All-Conference selection after his senior and junior seasons. Totals last year included 42/51/6 after 35/508/3 as a junior. Sophomore numbers included 43/453/3.

Positives: Terrific pass-catching tight end who displays the ability to get downfield and make the reception. Runs well for a tight end, consistently gets into the secondary and natural catching the ball. Easily adjust to the errant throw, plays with good balance and makes the reception away from his frame. Gets up between defenders, displays good eye/hand coordination and uses his size as an advantage. Runs solid routes, displaying above-average quickness into breaks and then staying low on exit. Blocks with solid fundamentals and works hard until the whistle blows.

Negatives: Marginally strong at the point of attack and struggles handling opposing linebackers. Must improve his blocking balance.

Analysis: Dickson has been a consistent player the past three seasons and the tight end who offers a nice degree of upside potential. He would be best in an offense that puts him in motion and makes pass catching his number one priority.

Projection: 3rd

Read More:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/17649.html#ixzz2aej8PJr4

He made some good plays in the playoffs and I was impressed by that, but he has not been consistent enough at catching the ball to have to depend on as #1 unless he carries over the post season play into the reg. season.

We have Shank tho, and I read somewhere that Juice may take Pitta's place......

We'll have to see, it won't be long now folks, and the trash talk begins, "Can't Wait".....

SB Champs.....REPEAT !!!!

DICKSON CONTINUES TO SHINE: Tight end Ed Dickson has really come on the past few days of camp and is seizing an opportunity after Dennis Pitta dislocated his hip. In one team drill, Dickson sprinted straight up the field, found a seam between a pair of defenders and caught a laser from Flacco. He ran untouched to the end zone. On another play, Dickson made a nice diving grab in the end zone

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-training-camp-highlights-0802-20130801,0,4202010.story#ixzz2aoHxmEzp

From Preston...

Ever since starting tight end Dennis Pitta went down with a dislocated hip Saturday, backup Ed Dickson has picked up his game. The knock on Dickson, besides his inconsistency in catching the ball, was that he was a straight-line receiver incapable of finding holes in a defense. But he has found his groove in training camp and has been a factor in the long- and short-range passing games. He seems to be making the most of Pitta's absence.

I wonder whether the fact that this is a contract year also has anything to do with his new strong effort

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-mike-preston-ravens-training-camp-observations-for-august-1-2013-20130801,0,1738887.photogallery#ixzz2aoKBwd5x

Edited by vmax

I don't care about his draft profile. His time on this team shows one thing: he can't catch.

I just don't know where this is coming from. He has caught 60% of his targets over his career. Pitta is at 66%. If Dickson "can't catch", then Pitta isn't much better.

Take a look a Dickson's 2011 stats compared to Pitta's 2012 stats:

Dickson 54 recs (89 targets), 528 yds, 5 TDs

Pitta 61 recs (93 targets), 669 yds, 7 TDs

Is it really that far fetched to think that Dickson can at least match Pitta's production from last year (if not exceed it)?

Bottom line? Pitta was becoming a fan favorite.

GO DICKSON !

This is exactly it. Think about how excited a lot of people would be right now if the Ravens signed Todd Heap instead of Visanthe Shiancoe. There would be little mention of his 32 combined receptions his last two years.

I'm not a stats guy, they can be and are very deceiving, but I hope you guys are right about him if he does in fact wins the starting job....That is not a given at this point....

I seriously doubt he will all of a sudden, have a better yr than Pitta, just because he gets the call....

He couldn't beat him out the whole time he's been here, so that makes me believe he's not as good...

A star will arise from the smoke and ashes, I do believe.....?????

SB REPEAT !!!!

I'm not a stats guy, they can be and are very deceiving, but I hope you guys are right about him if he does in fact wins the starting job....That is not a given at this point....

I seriously doubt he will all of a sudden, have a better yr than Pitta, just because he gets the call....

He couldn't beat him out the whole time he's been here, so that makes me believe he's not as good...

A star will arise from the smoke and ashes, I do believe.....?????

SB REPEAT !!!!

Dickson was actually the starter in 2011, not Pitta. Dickson had 54 recs, Pitta had 40 recs.

Dickson was actually the starter in 2011, not Pitta. Dickson had 54 recs, Pitta had 40 recs.

I remember that he got the nod at first because of his blocking ability, but I remember Harbs , when asked who was the starter , he said ; we really haven't named either as the starter , so I guess it's both.

But you remember that Pitta made the separation by his sure hands and route running soon after...

I know Dickson can play the position, just not as well as Pitta, so we gotta hope someone steps up....

If it's Dickson, good, I just don't think he will be a stand out like Pitta or Heap was....

Anyway,

Goooooooo Ravens, REPEAT !!!!

I just don't know where this is coming from. He has caught 60% of his targets over his career. Pitta is at 66%. If Dickson "can't catch", then Pitta isn't much better.

Take a look a Dickson's 2011 stats compared to Pitta's 2012 stats:

Dickson 54 recs (89 targets), 528 yds, 5 TDs

Pitta 61 recs (93 targets), 669 yds, 7 TDs

Is it really that far fetched to think that Dickson can at least match Pitta's production from last year (if not exceed it)?

Nice job, Money, on the concrete facts. I was trying to find them myself to see how 'bad' Dickson is.

He is the better blocker from several reports I've read about him over the years. He just has to become as aggressive as Pitta in fighting for the ball. He's got the potential and he's had some positive experience. We might just be OK at TE.

I was also heartened by this video:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Dickson_Looking_Solid_In_Larger_Role/1f3dbd33-8cfa-4418-b1f9-f3a18003d9ce

Edited by oldno82