ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Beginning of the end for Caldwell?

OutsideRzAcE

Nailed it! But haven't we all seen this movie before? You know, the one where John Harbaugh hires another coach under the John Harbaugh Friends Of Family and Old Buddy Plan who then proceeds to screw up a good thing leaving Bisciotti and Ozzie to step in and clean up the mess. This debacle falls directly on Harbaugh who has once again stubbornly shown far too much loyalty to his personal coaching hires ( Caldwell is the lone FO hire ) over the needs and welfare of this team. Calwell's offense of a season ago was up tempo and aggressively attacked the middle of the field - we saw none of that this season. John Harbaugh or Harbaigh under the influence of Juan Castillo made the decision to go away from a formula that was working?

What movie? That sounds like a horrible team and coach. What mess of a team is that?

I have seen bad coaches inherit good teams before, it happens. Some even have brief success before it falls apart. What doesn't happen is a bad coach takes over a team and has five years of success. It just doesn't, the inadequacy would surface before that.

A bad coach does not have 5 straight playoff seasons, 3 AFC championship appearances, and a Super Bowl win.

True. Point to Spen.

Harbaughs misjudgment this year was Castillo - but I don't blame him for trying something. We lost our primary receiver and Birk. Had he sat on his hands and done nothing, we would have blamed a bad offense on not making any changes.

I think Castillo was a miatake, but I can't say its a "pattern." I say the bigger mistake and issue is with not making a change - to play calling and blocking - earlier. But even that is hard: how do you rewrite an offense midseason?

I think Caldwell, "the only FO move," deserves plenty of blame for lame game plans and calls.

What mistake? Trying something to make the team better? Again, if he'd sat on his thumbs and done nothing then we'd all be up in arms that there was no change despite the obvious personnel shortcomings.

Harbaugh actually meddles the perfect amount I'd argue. He doesn't overdo it like so many coaches, but he's also not stubbornly stuck in some formula. That doesn't mean every decision is right but none of those options ensures a perfect product.

What movie? That sounds like a horrible team and coach. What mess of a team is that?

I have seen bad coaches inherit good teams before, it happens. Some even have brief success before it falls apart. What doesn't happen is a bad coach takes over a team and has five years of success. It just doesn't, the inadequacy would surface before that.

A bad coach does not have 5 straight playoff seasons, 3 AFC championship appearances, and a Super Bowl win.

So what are you saying here? John Harbaugh is a HC who actually coached a so - so team to 5 straight seasons, 3 championship appearances, and a Super Bowl win or are you saying John Harbaugh is actualy a so - so HC who has owes his record to a great FO, great field leadership and a great Ravens' football culture? If you say the latter, you might be believable, but if you say the former............ you're talkin' out your neck. Either way, there's no way in this world ( repeat: in this world - not Spen's ) you can deny that John Harbaugh's decisions on coaching hires have been a disaster.

So what are you saying here? John Harbaugh is a HC who actually coached a so - so team to 5 straight seasons, 3 championship appearances, and a Super Bowl win or are you saying John Harbaugh is actualy a so - so HC who has owes his record to a great FO, great field leadership and a great Ravens' football culture? If you say the latter, you might be believable, but if you say the former............ you're talkin' out your neck. Either way, there's no way in this world ( repeat: in this world - not Spen's ) you can deny that John Harbaugh's decisions on coaching hires have been a disaster.

I am not necessarily saying either of those things. I think both Harbaugh and the front office have done decent to good jobs over the last 6 seasons.

Browns fire Chud, which means Norv is available. I would love for the Ravens to give him a look, but I think they will give Caldwell another year.

Norv Turner? NOOOOOooooooooooooooo!! Norv's still stuck in the 80's - leave him there. How's this? Dump Castillo and any other useless assistant recommended by Harbaugh on the payroll - turn the offense fully over to Caldwell including the hiring and firing of Offensive Assistants ( as it should have been from the beginning ). It's the K.I.S.S ( Keep It Simple - Stupid ) approach to winning football. Oh and while we're at it dump Pees - his cerebral approach to defensive football got him kicked out of New England - why oh why did anyone think it would work out here?

I'm against letting Caldwell go only because a new OC brings in a new offense and language that will that Joe at least two years to learn. In case anyone hasn't noticed Joe is not one of the brightest QB's in the league. Keep Caldwell and Cam's offense , add some wrinkles and get a new play caller. Joe having to learn a whole new offense is too much to ask of him, he can't even audible into the right play.

Norv Turner? NOOOOOooooooooooooooo!! Norv's still stuck in the 80's - leave him there. How's this? Dump Castillo and any other useless assistant recommended by Harbaugh on the payroll - turn the offense fully over to Caldwell including the hiring and firing of Offensive Assistants ( as it should have been from the beginning ). It's the K.I.S.S ( Keep It Simple - Stupid ) approach to winning football. Oh and while we're at it dump Pees - his cerebral approach to defensive football got him kicked out of New England - why oh why did anyone think it would work out here?

I'm against letting Caldwell go only because a new OC brings in a new offense and language that will that Joe at least two years to learn. In case anyone hasn't noticed Joe is not one of the brightest QB's in the league. Keep Caldwell and Cam's offense , add some wrinkles and get a new play caller. Joe having to learn a whole new offense is too much to ask of him, he can't even audible into the right play.

Strongly disagree. I was in favor of giving Caldwell a full year after his playcalling took us to the SB, but after a full year I am unimpressed. He doesn't make any adjustments as the game wears on. The Bengals were blitzing all day long and we made no adjustment whatsoever? Compare that to the Bengals, who successfully countered our rush with screens and the read option.

Caldwell's offense is only successful if Joe is hitting his deep passes consistently. If he can't do that Caldwell's plays aren't creative enough to fool a defense, and sometimes that's what is necessary. You want to bet the whole 2014 Season on Joe being able to hit an open wide receiver 30- 40 yards down the field?

Well if we bring in a whole new offense, Joe will be starting from scratch, which means you can kiss the 2014 and 2015 seasons away.Joe doesn't have a dominate defense he can ride the coattails of anymore. Add some wrinkles, bring in a new play caller, but to fire Caldwell and scrap this offense means another two years before Joe would be comfortable an another two years of missing the playoffs. Joe is not bright enough to have to learn a new playbook in one off season and apply it on the field, we would be taking steps backwards.

Terry Bradshaw won 4 super bowls and everyone knows he stupid, my God Craven just because Joe Flacco was the QB of a team that won a superbowl doesn't mean Joe Flacco is anything but exactly that. I'm not saying Joe is stupid, but he isn't the most cerebral qb out there, i believe it takes him longer to get concepts than most, but once he's got it, he's got it.

I'm starting to believe that Geronimo is in fact Cam Cameron. It makes sense if you think about it. Blames everything on Joe - check. Thinks Joe is too stupid to be given some autonomy within the playcalls - check. Wants to fire the current playcaller because he took over from him and proved how crap he was - check.

Seriously though, Joe was able to learn a new offense and start his rookie year. It might have been by default but when other QBs were healthy Joe was still starting.