ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Prospects for center

vmax

Hensley has some...

@JamisonHensley: When coach John Harbaugh said every position on the offensive line is up for grabs except right guard, that was a clear indication that Gino Gradkowski didn't convince the Ravens this season that he's the long-term answer at center. At the very least, he'll be competing against Ryan Jensen, a rookie sixth-round pick who didn't play a snap last season. But the Ravens will need to do more if they want to improve the weakest area on the team. The Ravens could draft a center, but they haven't taken a center higher than the fourth round since 2006 (Chris Chester).

If the Ravens look at free agency, there are seven starters who will be available. The Browns' Alex Mack is the best, but he'll also be the most expensive and presumably out of the team's price range. There are aging stopgaps like Roberto Garza (Chicago), Johnathan Goodwin (San Francisco) and Dominic Raiola (Detroit), and there are more under-the-radar, 20-something prospects like Brian De La Puente (New Orleans), Ryan Wendell (New England) and Joe Hawley (Atlanta). So, there are plenty of options.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/5577/ravensmail-whats-the-options-at-center

Just get the nastiest, smartest guy on that list.

Build the Lines!

No more getting pushed around!

hm, Ozzie has shown over the years he really doesn't value the line as much as we, or most would. Aside from JO and over paying Flynn, a big reach for Searcy, he doesn't spend a lot on the line. We can even take Jo out since he was 1) drafted and 2) a clear HOF from the start. Frankly, I am a bit surprised by his lack of, what's the word, concern for the line since, being an offensive player, he knows the importance of time in the pocket, a lane for a runningback.

Gino proved a few things, he can't handle bull rushers, has no athleticism to pull nor run screens and maybe, if media is to be believed, doesn't know how to make proper calls. After the trade for the left tackle, they, the Ravens, claimed he would be the left tackle next year. Turns out, as most who follow the game closely knew, he wasn't much, if any better than McKinnie.

To soon to do away with Gino? Might be. Centers don't happen over night. Not that I am a Gino fan.

I still do most of the pointing at the coaches for the showing of this line, and think it has more to do with the coaches not working together. And what is a run game coordinator?

What a shame that Wilbert Montgomery is going out the door and the run game coordinator is still here.

With as bad as the line played why didn't we get a chance to see Ryan Jensen? Why didn't they just IR the guy?

I think that Kelechi Osemele will play the right end next season.

To soon to do away with Gino? Might be. Centers don't happen over night. Not that I am a Gino fan.

I still do most of the pointing at the coaches for the showing of this line, and think it has more to do with the coaches not working together. And what is a run game coordinator?

What a shame that Wilbert Montgomery is going out the door and the run game coordinator is still here.

With as bad as the line played why didn't we get a chance to see Ryan Jensen? Why didn't they just IR the guy?

I agree, one year is truly not enough time to normally grade a center on some aspects. But you can't learn to be athletic, only get so much quicker. He has had two years now to gain NFL strength, I doubt he gets much stronger. His technique needs some work, so that will help with some of his blocking issues. However, even Flynn, the least athletic player in the history of the NFL, ok a slight over egageration, could pull, get to the second level in time, be used convincingly on screen.

These are things Gino can't do and having worked on the 2nd team, scout team during the week, he certainly had plenty of practice on those types of plays.

Osemele is the real ? mark. He was adequet last year as a rookie, injury riddled this year, but next year? Backs, next to hamstrngs, are the worst injury to have especially for a lineman. I agree, right tackle may be where he is headed, pending draft and possible free agent moves. He can't ne worse then the turn style that is Oher.....

hm, Ozzie has shown over the years he really doesn't value the line as much as we, or most would. Aside from JO and over paying Flynn, a big reach for Searcy, he doesn't spend a lot on the line. We can even take Jo out since he was 1) drafted and 2) a clear HOF from the start. Frankly, I am a bit surprised by his lack of, what's the word, concern for the line since, being an offensive player, he knows the importance of time in the pocket, a lane for a runningback.

Gino proved a few things, he can't handle bull rushers, has no athleticism to pull nor run screens and maybe, if media is to be believed, doesn't know how to make proper calls. After the trade for the left tackle, they, the Ravens, claimed he would be the left tackle next year. Turns out, as most who follow the game closely knew, he wasn't much, if any better than McKinnie.

I agree that Ozzie does often go cheap on the OL. It is something I think that needs to change. Yanda makes the line calls so Gino doesn't need to be worried about that either.

I agree that Gino might still be good. He has a yr of experience. Maybe he can move fro there. I thinnk Montgomery was scapegoated for Harbs BFF. Why haven't they moved on from Castillo? I am not seeing he is in demand right now.