ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Gary Kubiak: We’ve got to get Ray Rice going

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/14/gary-kubiak-weve-got-to-get-ray-rice-going/

The Ravens had no luck running the ball in 2013 as both Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce struggled to find holes and exploit any openings they did find on their way to a league-worst 3.1 yards per carry.

New offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak knows that has to change next season and he is looking to Rice to lead the change after a year further marred by a hip injury. Kubiak said he thinks you need two guys to succeed over 16 games, but left no doubt that he thinks Rice’s return to form is crucial for the Ravens.

“I think as he goes, we’ll go. Our goal is to get him going, and he’s excited to get going and put last year behind him,” Kubiak said, via the team’s website. “We’ve just got to get him going, doing what he does best, and that’s us studying him and fitting him with our system and those type of things. We’ve got to get Ray going. That’s the bottom line.”

Rice doesn’t look much like Arian Foster, who thrived in Kubiak’s offense in Houston, but Kubiak’s run offenses with a variety of different backs doing well going back to his days as the coordinator in Denver. Should that continue with Rice, the Ravens offense will be in much better shape next season.

I've seen a few interviews with Kubiak and i like the guy.

Now....it's a scary proposition to say "I think as he goes, we'll go." That has been the truth since Rice has been here but he's got a lot of mileage on him now. I'm very concerned that he can bounce back from injury and what's to say he doesn't get hurt early on?

It shouldn't be hard for Kubiak to improve on this...

Baltimore's offensive run DVOA rating was one of the five worst in the 25-year history of DVOA, going back to 1989. (The teams below Baltimore and Jacksonville: the 1991 Colts, 2005 Cardinals and 2002 Texans.) http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10433839/2014-nfl-offseason-biggest-needs-ravens-browns-bengals-steelers

I think he put on a little too much muscle weight last offseason to try and prove he was an every down back and he seemed to lose that quick burst he normally had even before the hip injury. I would like to see him shed some of those lbs and split more carries with Pierce and then he can be fresh for more 3rd downs where he can be so dangerous in the receiving game.

I don't think we can write him off just yet but he is basically on a 1 season prove it or lose it deal now. He will be cut/traded next offseason if he is not effective.

I think he put on a little too much muscle weight last offseason to try and prove he was an every down back and he seemed to lose that quick burst he normally had even before the hip injury. I would like to see him shed some of those lbs and split more carries with Pierce and then he can be fresh for more 3rd downs where he can be so dangerous in the receiving game.

Great post. I definitely agree here.