ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Just did our taxes

cravnravn

Dee is referring to many recent events... Like the man in a car crash shot by police while banging on a door for help.. Or the girl in Baltimore shot asking for help on a local porch.

But two thoughts... 1. Where do you get 50/50 odds for Fla? Total bull. If the odds are that high I'm still wondering why there is any crime at all. 2. Isn't the radio example a good example of "when the robbers aren't robbers?"

Can't we go back to the basic anti death penalty logic? "I'd rather 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man killed." How many non-robbers has Florida killed now?

holy hell

florida and texas have killed many an innocent person

can we just dump these territories and let be the fucked up place they want to be?

no

because then we will have people from there sneaking across the borders

LOL

LOL

LOL

holy hell

florida and texas have killed many an innocent person

can we just dump these territories and let be the fucked up place they want to be?

no

because then we will have people from there sneaking across the borders

LOL

LOL

LOL

No how about this, take all us transplants and put us back to where we came from and florida would look like a ghost town..

I think it's great chart, it means prior to 2005 people got away with too much shit

And thats your right but the chart is made to make it look like, at least at a quick glance, that firearm murders have gone down since 2005 and thats not the case.

And/or the chart could have been designed by an idiot.

• 4 weeks later...

This is precisely my problem with carry laws... Stupid meaningless arguments become homicide. People don't think this would happen in schools or libraries or anywhere if we added more guns? We don't think an angry teacher or student or who knows could simply cross that line? ... They already do everywhere else.

http://aattp.org/two-proud-gun-nuts-second-amendment-death-road-rage-incident/

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one.... "Castle Doctrine" at work: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/crime/2014/05/20/erin-dnt-lah-german-exchange-student-killed.cnn-ap.html

According to Montana law as re-written in 2009, you can shoot if you have "a reasonable belief" it will "end an unlawful intrusion."

Now, I am sympathetic to a homeowner who was burglarized multiple times. And sympathetic to the obvious argument that the student in the question about was also attempting a mild robbery (in a garage).

But I am significantly less sympathetic to the idea that you can simply shoot - without warning, without sight of what you are shooting, without knowledge of what you are shooting. You have a voice, you have many tools at your disposal.

And the attorney in that video saying, "people will learn there are consequences..." ... certainly. But what should the consequence be? And what lesson did this student learn?

Fox News:

Kaarma's partner and mother of his infant son, Janelle Pflager, was home with Kaarma at the time of the shooting. She told police in an interview the family's home had been burglarized two times within three weeks. Unauthorized charges had showed up on credit cards after the burglaries.

Pflager purchased motion sensors for the garage and an extra video monitor was set up to stream a live picture, with a slight delay. Pflager told police a purse with personal belongings was left in the garage, "so that they would take it."

Shortly after midnight on April 27, the motion sensors sent alerts to Pflager's phone. The couple pulled up a live feed of the garage. Pflfager used a phone to take a screenshot of the feed, showing Dede in the garage. The overhead door had been left partially open by approximately 5 ½ feet.

Kaarma, who waived his rights and spoke with detectives hours after the shooting, told them he exited the front door of the house with a shotgun. He positioned himself between the open overhead garage door and his pick-up truck parked in the driveway.

The affidavit says "he was experiencing a rush of adrenaline by the fact there was a subject again inside his garage." After hearing a noise, he "panicked" and thought he had trapped the subject. After deactivating the safety, he fired four times into the darkened garage, hitting Dede with two shots, which proved fatal.

According to the Affidavit for Probable Cause, an employee of Great Clips hair salon called investigators. Felene Sherbondy told a detective Kaarma was in the hair salon days before the shooting. She asked him how he was doing and he said, "I'm just waiting to shoot some f------ kid." The affidavit states he told salon stylists he had been waiting up for three nights with his shotgun. According to the charging documents, as he was about to leave the salon, he said, "And I'm not f------ kidding, you'll see this on the f------ news. I'm going to f------ kill 'em."

Here's what I find crazy - even before the last quote. The wife/partner/whatever admits they intentionally left a purse in the garage with the door open in order to lure someone in... so that they could see them on video... and then the guy could walk outside his house and shoot into the garage without knowing who was there!

We had a good one last week, young adult attempted to steal a homeowners pick-up, homeowner seen him through his front window, grabbed his gun, and approached the punk, the kid called the homeowners bluff, until the homeowner cocked the gun, the kid took off and was apprehended a few minutes later by the police..This is an instance where right to carry worked, no one was shot and killed.

And I maintain, you dont know who carrys down here, so before you make a dumb decision, you better think twice.

I'm not really against gun ownership... But the opposite of "better make sure you make a good decision" is a reality of lax laws too... That being, "better pray the guy who's angry you took too long to order isn't carrying" and "gee I hope my teacher doesn't have a bad day and get jumpy with that gun behind his desk"

Isn't coercing behavior we like through violence an element of totalitarian policy almost? "It's not that I think it was the right thing to do, but metaphorically I have been taught to imagine that everyone is holding a gun to my head... Because they might be!"