ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Richar Sherman is so very smart

papasmurfbell

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/02/richard-sherman-desean-jackson/

I look at those words—gang ties—and I think about all the players I’ve met in the NFL and all of us who come from inner-city neighborhoods like mine in Los Angeles, and I wonder how many of us could honestly say we’re not friends with guys doing the wrong things.

I can’t.

I grew up in Watts, and I played baseball with DeSean in elementary school on a team coached by his father near Inglewood. His father, Bill, picked me up from elementary school 30 minutes away from his home for practice and games because my parents both worked and didn’t finish until later, and I wanted to play baseball with some childhood friends. Bill was a great coach, and a great man. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2009, the summer after his son’s rookie season. DeSean and I didn’t hang out then like we did as kids.

Those men with DeSean in the social pictures and the police reports weren’t his closest friends in childhood, but when his father died and few people were there for him, they were there. When a tragic event like that happens, the people who are around are the people who are around, and they were there for him.

This offseason they re-signed a player who was caught on video screaming, “I will fight every n—– here.” He was representing the Philadelphia Eagles when he said it, because, of course, everything we do is reflective of the organization. But what did they do to Riley Cooper, who, if he’s not a racist, at least has “ties” to racist activity? They fined him and sent him to counseling. No suspension necessary for Cooper and no punishment from the NFL, despite its new interest in policing our use of the N-word on the field. Riley instead got a few days off from training camp and a nice contract in the offseason, too.

Commit certain crimes in this league and be a certain color, and you get help, not scorn. Look at the way many in the media wrote about Jim Irsay after his DUI arrest. Nobody suggested the Colts owner had “ties” to drug trafficking, even though he was caught driving with controlled substances (prescription pills) and $29,000 in cash to do who-knows-what with. Instead, poor millionaire Mr. Irsay needs help, some wrote.

This guy is so on point and honest. He has put a huge bulleye on his back so he needs to keep his nose clean because if Goodell gets a chance he will mount him to a wall. I see this guy running the NFLPA someday.

Not wrong but why make this a racial issue by bring up ONE incedent of Cooper's life? Jackson has had YEARS of hanging around gang members, some of whom have been involved in murders.

Does that make Jackson a gang member, a bad guy? No, not any more than ONE incedent makes Cooper a racist. Were the Eagles wrong for leaking the information? Yes and I hope they get draft picks taken from them. But they were also right in keeping Cooper who has both produced for them and been a great teammate. Something Jackson has not been, neither in college nor with the Eagles.

Will he change? Maybe....

Oh and to his other point about the NFL giving help to white players in trouble but not black players. PALEASE! There is not only a policy in the NFL for help first, but a majority of the players getting the help in the form of DRUG use and GUN USE illegally are NOT WHITE. Learn up Mista Sherman. Why is it everything today has to be because of race? I thought we wanted to move on from this? It was exactly this way in the 80's where everthing was race related.....

Not wrong but why make this a racial issue by bring up ONE incedent of Cooper's life? Jackson has had YEARS of hanging around gang members, some of whom have been involved in murders.

Does that make Jackson a gang member, a bad guy? No, not any more than ONE incedent makes Cooper a racist. Were the Eagles wrong for leaking the information? Yes and I hope they get draft picks taken from them. But they were also right in keeping Cooper who has both produced for them and been a great teammate. Something Jackson has not been, neither in college nor with the Eagles.

Well one difference is the one incident of Cooper's life mentioned was something Cooper did himself, not something that someone around him may have done.

So Jackson haning around with gang members, people who have been involved in, some how, a few murders was not Jackson doing it to him self?

I agree, to a point, his friendships had no bearing on the person he is, off the field. In his interview today, he made it clear, and read carefully, he does not hang around anyone in a gang if they are doing something illegal...... His issues are and have been since college, he does not respect his teamates nor coaches. That is the main reason he was released. Now the only one? Not likely, did the Eagles leak the gang info? Likely.

But this had nothing to do with race. You can't "get help" for a locker room cancer thus Sherman was wrong for even mentioning Cooper since Cooper is, and always has been, a great teammate on the field and off, save for one time.

Well one certainly shouldn't hang around with gang members or other violent criminals. And violent crimes are certainly more serious than verbal attacks. My point was solely that one player was alleged to be associated with people who did bad things whereas the other did a bad thing himself. There is a difference.

Other than that point I know little about either player or the Eagles and I am OK with that.

Well one certainly shouldn't hang around with gang members or other violent criminals. And violent crimes are certainly more serious than verbal attacks. My point was solely that one player was alleged to be associated with people who did bad things whereas the other did a bad thing himself. There is a difference.

Other than that point I know little about either player or the Eagles and I am OK with that.

Ok, let me put it this way. On one hand we have a player great with teammates & coaches who had one bad incedent. On the other, we have a player, a great friend to many, an over all good person as told by many who know him, but is a cancer in the locker room and on the field. Which one woould you keep?

Ok, let me put it this way. On one hand we have a player great with teammates & coaches who had one bad incedent. On the other, we have a player, a great friend to many, an over all good person as told by many who know him, but is a cancer in the locker room and on the field. Which one woould you keep?

I can only clarify my statement so much. I don't know what either of them are like in the locker room and I don't care. I just said there is a difference between being guilty by association and doing something yourself.

I'm really not trying to argue. I could care less about either player or the Eagles.

Edited by Spen

Did anyone from the Eagles say he was cut do to gang ties. Or was this story from a Philly Preston?

No, no one from the Eagles said it publicly. They stated their lawyers told them not to, for fear of defimation lawsuits. However, there is quite the coinkidink about his release and the timing of the story, leading many to think, my self included, that they leaked some info to the news paper in hopes of quelling any fan up roar over the release of one of their best players.

So Woody Harrelson has mob ties. His father in in prison for being a mob hitman. I guess that means Woody must be abad guy.

I agree with tsy. Sherman pulled the race card when it didn't need to be pulled. Kelly wanted him out because of poor work ethic.

Sherman was calling the Eagles and the league on their hypocrisy.

No, no one from the Eagles said it publicly. They stated their lawyers told them not to, for fear of defimation lawsuits. However, there is quite the coinkidink about his release and the timing of the story, leading many to think, my self included, that they leaked some info to the news paper in hopes of quelling any fan up roar over the release of one of their best players.

Yeah don't go out and say you want him gone because of gang ties but leak the shit out of it. They should have just manned up and said they didn't like his attitude and left it at that.

So Woody Harrelson has mob ties. His father in in prison for being a mob hitman. I guess that means Woody must be abad guy.

Um, who said he was a bad guy? Not the Eagles, not because of his gang ties, they said plainly, they did not want to trade him and push his bad attitude on another team, so they released. Now, as I have said, was some of that based on his gang ties? Sure, but most of it is also as I have stated, because he was a locker room cancer. His former teammates have backed up that statement.

Sherman was calling the Eagles and the league on their hypocrisy.

Again he is wrong, there is not hypocrisy here. he needs to learn the definition of that word, or you do. There is no comparison to what Cooper said and what Jackson is; a team cancer. There is no help for the NFL to offer, no team to offer to some one who is a "me" person. There is a drug program, there ar eother programs for anger and such, but no programs, nor can there be, for "me" players. So there is no hypocrisy, no relation.

Yeah don't go out and say you want him gone because of gang ties but leak the shit out of it. They should have just manned up and said they didn't like his attitude and left it at that.

They did man up, publicly, and say his attitude was bad, he was not good in the locker rom, and that is why they chose not to trade him, why they released. No one on the Eagles, publicly, ever said anything about gang ties. That came from NJ.com, not the Eagles. Now, we can speculate all we want to, to say the Eagles leaked the info.... but publicly,no.

Papa, listen to his answers carefully. He clearly NEVER denies hanging around gang members. No one, not even NJ.com ever said he WAS a gang member. Yet Steven A and Jackson allow that statement. ESPN even made a statement on air, after this interview to clear that up. This was a piss poor interview, as usual from Smith.

Look, as I have said, I think and from all accounts he is a good guy, not involved in gangs, but yes, does have some "homies" who are gang members. No big deal. However, on the field, as told by the team, by his ex teammates, by people who know him, he is a different person, a cancer on the field, in the locker room.

TO came off with great, passionate interviews lookiing like a lost puppy. TO is actually a very nice, good guy, off the field..........

Of course he didn't. He lived with the guys across the street and next door and around the corner. Just living he would be hanging out with them. Now is he slinging dope or doing hits with them? Does he knwo their business? That remains to be seen.

Just like with the govt if you want info out there to slander someone but don't want it connected to you then you leak it.

• 1 month later...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/10/sherman-wants-rest-of-legion-of-boom-on-madden-cover/

Sherman wants rest of Legion of Boom on Madden cover

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman“won” the contrived, overhyped “contest” to determine who will grace the cover of Madden 15, the only officially-licensed NFL video game that hasn’t really improved much over the last decade due to the lack of competition.

Sherman now wants to expand the perceived “honor.”

“I’ve been trying to get the Legion of Boom on the cover, and EA has been fighting me,” Sherman told reporters Monday, via Seahawks.com. “So if everybody wants to start a petition to get the Legion of Boom on the cover, here it is, here’s an open invitation.”

EA surely has resisted (or perhaps more accurately ignored) Sherman’s overtures because EA would have to pay the other three starters in the secondary — safetyEarl Thomas, safety Kam Chancellor, and cornerback Byron Maxwell — for the ability to use their likenesses on the cover. And EA would derive little extra benefit from doing so.

The concept of the cover vote ensures a spike in sales among fans of the player who graces the cover and the team for which he plays. Paying three lesser-known guys from the same team to be on the cover won’t result in a sufficient uptick in sales to justify the extra expense.

If Sherman really wants to do it, here’s how to make it happen. First, he should persuade the members of the Legion of Boom to accept as compensation for being on the cover 1/4th of what Sherman will receive. Second, he should tell EA that whatever he’s getting paid will be divided equally among himself, Thomas, Chancellor, and Maxwell.

So if everybody wants to start a petition for Sherman to do that, here it is, here’s an open invitation.