ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Snow!

deeshopper

One of the Balt. City dump truck plows came down our street tonight at around 730p and got stuck at the end. Three guys out of the truck were digging for 10+ minutes to get it moving again.

I feel bad for the guys on the truck but the city should have gotten to the street sooner. The only thing the plow is taking is 2-3 inches of snow and uncovering a large layer of ice.

Nice

I have a trip to Philly planned for this weekend. May end up taking Amtrak out of Penn Station instead of trying to wait for the city to take care of the streets, so I could make it to 95N (if that is even passable). I hear MLK and Howard are awful.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my TV is finally back. God bless the one woman at Verizon who has been helping me since yesterday morning. She's been calling me on my cell phone giving me updates. THAT is the type of customer service I've always experienced from Verizon until this crapstorm.

Meanwhile, I've got about two inches on the ground already (maybe even an inch more) and a 3-1/2 foot long icicle hanging from my front bay window.

Because of the sleet/freezing rain last night, I dug out my driveway this morning. Although it was only about 5-6 inches it was real wet and heavy....but it came up easy...down to pavement. I wanted to remove this lower layer so it wouldn't freeze solid and make digging out the rest of the storm a nightmare. I'll see tonight or tomorrow if my effort pays dividends.

847a57ba96ad4f9f0e1fdddaf115300b.jpg

Anyone hear Mike Miller (State Senate President) bitching at Annapolis about how they have handled the storm? He went off on their old-fashioned practices and all this stuff... and to some extent I'm sure he's right... but some of it just pissed me off, as all politicians do.

"Need to treat their state government employees better." Maybe if their state government employees weren't running a billion dollar deficit every damn year and furloughing half the city .... maybe they could do something. Miller is about as two-faced as any MD politician I've seen in years. He led the charge against every last Ehrlich move and then was pleased to do 180s for O'Malley like a good little soldier.

I did the same thing Max. Followed it up with a nice layer of salt. So far, it's holding out, which probably will save me from shoveling up another inch.

Great minds think alike! :D shoveling-snow.gif

The thing is we could have another foot of snow...or more counting the drifting but we won't be cracking our shovels into a bottom layer of ice.

It's bad out there guys. I just shoveled the sidewalks of my row of townhouses. The wind is brutal and the snow is heavy. And if you didn't shovel properly the first time (that is, shovel more than the width of your shovel and/or not get up the ice that came down overnight) you're gonna be in trouble.

I have heard of the snow to come... though amounts are still sketchy. Best not to even consider it.

By the way... this is perfectly fine for me. My direct deposit gets posted on Friday.

And to review...

last Monday? 2 hrs late

last Tuesday? assembly

last Wednesday? off

last Thursday? Full day (WTF?!)

last Friday? 2 hours early

This week? Off.

Coming Monday? Pres. Day.

;)

I have a trip to Philly planned for this weekend.

I'd definately call ahead on that one, the Philly-NJ-NY areas are catching the brunt of the storm, and 95 from Delaware to the NJ Turnpike was shut down for hours last weekend.

I decided to purchase the Amtrak tix outta Penn Station. Fully refundable so if something goes wrong, either here or there, I'm good.

I called up to the hotel in Philly and they'll be open and ready by Friday afternoon.

I got sick of watching the local news stations and didn't catch anything said after 5p...any word on how much it might snow on Monday? What I heard earlier was little, if any. But yesterday/today was originally said to be 3-6 inches.

Gotta get out of February and fast...

I don't think anyone is thinking about Monday yet... and even if they were, they tend to avoid predictions before the 3-day mark. But it is not supposed to be the same kind of storm, just our standard 'clipper' as they call it coming down from the NW... as opposed to our lovely El Nino babies.

700 accidents yesterday...I'm not going out today...why people try to drive in this stuff amazes me (other than esential/emergency personel...hats off to them!)

Through most of Wednesday, traffic was light as most Marylanders heeded warnings to stay off the highways - earning O'Malley's thanks for clearing the way for snowplows. But those who did venture out became involved in an estimated 700 crashes by late afternoon.

In one of them, two tractor-trailers jackknifed about 2 p.m. on southbound Interstate 95 in Prince George's County - triggering a series of collisions involving two more trucks and six passenger vehicles. There were no serious injuries, but the mess took more than three hours to remove as traffic was detoured onto parallel routes.

If there was one bright spot in the snowy mess, it was that death was staying off the roads, along with most everyone else. Officials said that, as of Wednesday evening, Maryland hadn't had a highway death since the first storm blew in six days ago. The state averages about a dozen traffic fatalities a week.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-md.storm11feb11,0,5141810.story?page=2&track=rss