ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game thoughts

tsylvester

I am all for going for it. I hate the play. Why are you having Joe give up more distance than is needed?

I don't think Pees has all the horses to be more aggressive.

100% agree.

I do think the very weak secondary we have is contributing to Pees to be a very passive coach (but even last year he was passive). It cuts down on the ability to be creative about blitzing. The secondary won't straighten out until and if Webb gets it back together. No Webb=A long season and no playoffs.

On dialing up the pressure Suggs is a liability. They have lost Jones and Redding. The DL that we thought would be there is much thinner now via injuries. I think he is scared to bring tons of pressure via the blitz since the DB's are suspect at the moment. It is a give and take. Right now I think he is in a tough spot but doing pretty well with those issues.

On dialing up the pressure Suggs is a liability. They have lost Jones and Redding. The DL that we thought would be there is much thinner now via injuries. I think he is scared to bring tons of pressure via the blitz since the DB's are suspect at the moment. It is a give and take. Right now I think he is in a tough spot but doing pretty well with those issues.

The Defensive line is actually one of the better ones the team has had. They are very active in pass rush, McPhee is outstanding up the middle, even the new guy did good last week. The issue is the ends, the over paid ends in Suggs and Dumervil are not what the team hoed they would be, so teams can just keep a tight end in and neutralize the Suggs & Elvis, allowing a double team up the middle.

One way to help a weak secondary is pressure, either up the middle or from the edge. Pees has used the middle blitz numerous time, but usually they have been delayed blitzes, getting there too late.

I would like to see them sit Elvis, move McPhee to the end. With his great work ethic and height, it will pu pressure from the edge and make the hot read pass much more difficult.

But that is me, I never thought they should have signed Elvis, sack numbers or not in Denver. It was clear Suggs was on the decline when they signed him to the big contract, so why on earth sign another rush end? Especially when McPhee was coming along as well as he was coming along. He can play all three positions along the line and has gotten better each year. It was clear to me, at least, his rookie year that he was going to be very good, based soley on his work ethic and size.

All of which points to the overwhelming need for a strong pash rusher - something we haven't had for a few years. Perhaps with the improved play of Webb and Smith and pending insertion of Will Hill in the lineup, Peas and Co can gamble a bit more and call a few more blitzes. If not, it'll be status quo for the year.

All of which points to the overwhelming need for a strong pash rusher - something we haven't had for a few years. Perhaps with the improved play of Webb and Smith and pending insertion of Will Hill in the lineup, Peas and Co can gamble a bit more and call a few more blitzes. If not, it'll be status quo for the year.

That's how I see it.

I don't know how long it might take Webb to rebound and I hope Hill is as good as he's cracked up to be. He will have been out of live action for 6 weeks.

And then there's this:
CBSSports.com, Pete Prisco: No. 13 (dropped six spots)
“They are having problems defending the pass, ranking 27th in the league. That has to be fixed.”

it is a pretty dance- you need good pressure to help the secondary, but a good secondary to help the pass rush. At tmes it has worked perfectly this way, sadly, most of the game(s) it has not. They need to leave McPhee in there, he is the only one who seem to get consistant pressure, especially up the middle, which will unsettle most all quarterbacks. This will force the qb to either get rid of it quick or move out to one side or the other into the arms of Dumervil or Suggs who might be able to break free from the blockers and make a play.

it is a pretty dance- you need good pressure to help the secondary, but a good secondary to help the pass rush. At tmes it has worked perfectly this way, sadly, most of the game(s) it has not. They need to leave McPhee in there, he is the only one who seem to get consistant pressure, especially up the middle, which will unsettle most all quarterbacks. This will force the qb to either get rid of it quick or move out to one side or the other into the arms of Dumervil or Suggs who might be able to break free from the blockers and make a play.

Definitely agree about McPhee!