ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Mason to remain a Raven

cravnravn

So are we done offensively? maybe a lineman for giggles and grins in the later rounds? No need to blow a 1st-3rd on a TE....

Most likely no receiver in the early rounds, anyway. I can still see a tight end, considering that we only have one on the roster right now.

I'd absolutely prefer CB or DE at this point, though. I don't know who wouldn't.

YES!!!! Mason is going to thrive playing against the single coverage!!! Great move Ozzie!

I could definitely see a receiver in the early rounds. There is a lot of depth at receiver and there is a good chance one of those guys will be the BPA. If someone like Thomas drops to our second round pick, we would be all over that. Boldin and Mason are possession receivers, if we trade back into the third round, I could see us drafting a speedster like Emmanuel Sanders from SMU or Taylor Price from Ohio University to fill a Mike Wallace role on our team. Anyways the point is that Ozzie and co. has put this team in a position where we can draft BPA being we don't have any gaping holes.

As far as I am concerned Ozzie set the bar for our first round pick, find a player who can make a Michael Oher-impact on this team. I do not care what position that guy plays, if he plays as well as Oher did this past season, our team will be much better regardless.

YES!!!! Mason is going to thrive playing against the single coverage!!! Great move Ozzie!

I could definitely see a receiver in the early rounds. There is a lot of depth at receiver and there is a good chance one of those guys will be the BPA. If someone like Thomas drops to our second round pick, we would be all over that. Boldin and Mason are possession receivers, if we trade back into the third round, I could see us drafting a speedster like Emmanuel Sanders from SMU or Taylor Price from Ohio University to fill a Mike Wallace role on our team. Anyways the point is that Ozzie and co. has put this team in a position where we can draft BPA being we don't have any gaping holes.

As far as I am concerned Ozzie set the bar for our first round pick, find a player who can make a Michael Oher-impact on this team. I do not care what position that guy plays, if he plays as well as Oher did this past season, our team will be much better regardless.

I love the move and I really don't even want to waste a pick on a WR at this point. I honestly think Stallworth is exactly the guy we need to be 3rd WR behind Mason/Boldin. People are forgetting how good he was and how fast he ran at our facility when we worked him out, the guy can fucking burn it. We probably are giving Mason a two year deal, so we won't have a need for a WR this year. I would rather wait until next year to spend a pick on a WR, as I feel like our pass rush and secondary need a lot of work.

I love the move and I really don't even want to waste a pick on a WR at this point. I honestly think Stallworth is exactly the guy we need to be 3rd WR behind Mason/Boldin. People are forgetting how good he was and how fast he ran at our facility when we worked him out, the guy can fucking burn it. We probably are giving Mason a two year deal, so we won't have a need for a WR this year. I would rather wait until next year to spend a pick on a WR, as I feel like our pass rush and secondary need a lot of work.

Love it, too. Need one more toy, either FA or draft - for Joe - either a TE (future Heap) of WR (understudy for Boldin and Mason).

Then we are talkin !

Love it, too. Need one more toy, either FA or draft - for Joe - either a TE (future Heap) of WR (understudy for Boldin and Mason).

Then we are talkin !

TE will be drafted in the first round if BPA, if not WR, CB or DE.

Guest BallTMore

Great offseason so far.

Boldin

Mason

Stallworth

Clayton

Definitely an improvement.

I'd love to get a pass-rusher in the early rounds. That would be a dream offseason.

I don't feel like we could utilize the TE well enough to make it worth a first round pick. What I mean is that we have the weapons at the other positions that it would be overkill on offense, and I'm so happy to be saying that for once.

He migth not be used much in year one (like when Heap was drafted and we had Sharpe.), second our depth at TE is at best terrible, third last year Ozzie wanted a TE. In 2007 he wanted a QB, a year later we got Joe.

Goodness...what a silly comment! For starters, with all the depth this WR class has it's not wasting a pick! Our WR corps looks much better than last year, sure! But let's see...Stallworth has a 1 year deal, Clayton has 1 year left too, Mason is 36 years old and will only sign a 1-2 year deal (who knows if he doesn't just retire after year 1!)...So that leaves us with only Boldin for sure heading into the 2011 season; and he will be 30 by then. If WR is BPA at any pick you still take them. We need youth and talent regardless of who we already brought in. Give me Benn, Tate, or Thomas in 1st round if Brandon Graham, Jermaine Gresham, Jared Odrick, and Kyle Wilson are all gone! Damn, if we could trade a lil further back in 1st or early 2nd to get one of them that would be even better! Why? Because they are great value there and are talented, productive WR that will mesh well with our current WR corps and be important for the following seasons! Joe Flacco needs a young WR to grow with him!

You must always think about the present but more importantly the future when drafting! Like I said, after this year our WR corps could be depleted again! Same can be said for people thinking Gresham would be a horrible pick! The guy is a freak and is going to be an elite receiving TE...something we haven't seen from Heap in a few years!

It's official...from the Ravens website...

Mar 10, 2010, 8:03 PM: The Ravens have reached a two-year agreement in principle with WR Derrick Mason.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/

They are announcing it on the radio...Willet and Wilson...

The Baltimore Ravens reached a two-year agreement in principle with wide receiver Derrick Mason.

"We know exactly what we're getting with Derrick and that's production,” Ravens General Manger Ozzie Newsome said. “Every Ravens fan knows what Derrick brings to this team. It's reliability, toughness, leadership, the fight to win, the want of the ball in the clutch times. He has a two-year history with Joe (Flacco) that says 'we know how to produce together.' They are on the same page."

"This is outstanding, just great news for the Ravens,” Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “Our coaches are happy. Derrick's teammates are happy and you know Joe (Flacco) is smiling. Way to go to Ozzie (Newsome) and Pat (Moriarty) for getting this done. We would have lost something special if Derrick had gone to another team. We have gotten better in the last couple of days.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/03/Ravens_Re-Sign_Derrick_Mason.aspx

Now the receiving corps is seriously ugraded!

Edited by vmax

Good job Ozzie!!!! Just need to get a tight-end and we are good to go!!!

Agreed! Plus a rookie WR to groom behind some solid veterans!

Give me Gresham in the 1st...if he's not there and neither are Kyle Wilson, Brandon Graham, or Jared Odrick...ya gotta take Benn, Thomas, or Tate...preferably you trade back into the late 1st or early 2nd and take whichever of the 3 is still on board!

Goodness...what a silly comment! For starters, with all the depth this WR class has it's not wasting a pick! Our WR corps looks much better than last year, sure! But let's see...Stallworth has a 1 year deal, Clayton has 1 year left too, Mason is 36 years old and will only sign a 1-2 year deal (who knows if he doesn't just retire after year 1!)...So that leaves us with only Boldin for sure heading into the 2011 season; and he will be 30 by then. If WR is BPA at any pick you still take them. We need youth and talent regardless of who we already brought in. Give me Benn, Tate, or Thomas in 1st round if Brandon Graham, Jermaine Gresham, Jared Odrick, and Kyle Wilson are all gone! Damn, if we could trade a lil further back in 1st or early 2nd to get one of them that would be even better! Why? Because they are great value there and are talented, productive WR that will mesh well with our current WR corps and be important for the following seasons! Joe Flacco needs a young WR to grow with him!

You must always think about the present but more importantly the future when drafting! Like I said, after this year our WR corps could be depleted again! Same can be said for people thinking Gresham would be a horrible pick! The guy is a freak and is going to be an elite receiving TE...something we haven't seen from Heap in a few years!

Silly? We have been playing and succeeding for years as Mason as our #1 receiver and scrubs around him. As far as I'm concerned we are better off in the future with Boldin as our #1 and scrubs then we have been, so I'm perfectly alright with it. I also think it's extremely easy to pickup a veteran WR, while near impossible to find a vet that still has the legs to play Corner or rush the passer effectively. My comment is not silly in the least, but actually much more thought out then yours. We also don't have the touches for the receiver to make an impact this year or next year with Boldin and Mason on board, so we not only have bigger needs at other positions, but we could get more impact out of a player at another position.

Silly? We have been playing and succeeding for years as Mason as our #1 receiver and scrubs around him. As far as I'm concerned we are better off in the future with Boldin as our #1 and scrubs then we have been, so I'm perfectly alright with it. I also think it's extremely easy to pickup a veteran WR, while near impossible to find a vet that still has the legs to play Corner or rush the passer effectively. My comment is not silly in the least, but actually much more thought out then yours. We also don't have the touches for the receiver to make an impact this year or next year with Boldin and Mason on board, so we not only have bigger needs at other positions, but we could get more impact out of a player at another position.

Nope...still silly! You clearly didn't read what I said! If Gresham, Graham, Odrick, or Wilson (that equates to a stud TE, 2 DL who will provide pass rush, and a stud CB) are gone then ya gotta go with a WR! VALUE/NEED/BPA...covers it all!

By succeeding what do you mean? Reaching the playoffs and only being to one Super Bowl? Wins are great but success is measured in multiple championships buddy... Get a clue! You need multiple receiving targets to solidify a passing game! Not one capable WR and scrubs...sorry that just isn't the key to developing a threatening vertical game that sets fear in defenses!

Touches? Really? Again...did you listen to what I said? Not many rookie WR come in and light the league on fire...by year 2 and 3 they begin to shine! If you bring a solid rookie in as a #3 or #4 WR this year to learn the offense and build rapport with Flacco then he will be ready to really step up his game and take a larger role next year...NEXT YEAR...2011 where like I said our WR corps that is so much improved for the 2010 season already will be thinned out immensely since neither Stallworth, nor Clayton, nor D. Williams are under contract for 2011...also who knows if Mason will even honor a 2 year deal!

Is all this sinking in yet?

With all the WR experience on this team...it really would be silly not to bring in a hard workin WR. Not a primadonna etc..but one that is humble and recognizes a superb opportunity to learn from some good wideouts. I'd like to pick up a rook and be all set at WR.

In any case, as Cleetz has said earlier....Oz has set us up for BPA, and that's the end game. BPA equals best quality athletes on a team. We weren't looking for Reed or Suggs when we got em...they just fell to us. BPA baby.

Nope...still silly! You clearly didn't read what I said! If Gresham, Graham, Odrick, or Wilson (that equates to a stud TE, 2 DL who will provide pass rush, and a stud CB) are gone then ya gotta go with a WR! VALUE/NEED/BPA...covers it all!

By succeeding what do you mean? Reaching the playoffs and only being to one Super Bowl? Wins are great but success is measured in multiple championships buddy... Get a clue! You need multiple receiving targets to solidify a passing game! Not one capable WR and scrubs...sorry that just isn't the key to developing a threatening vertical game that sets fear in defenses!

Touches? Really? Again...did you listen to what I said? Not many rookie WR come in and light the league on fire...by year 2 and 3 they begin to shine! If you bring a solid rookie in as a #3 or #4 WR this year to learn the offense and build rapport with Flacco then he will be ready to really step up his game and take a larger role next year...NEXT YEAR...2011 where like I said our WR corps that is so much improved for the 2010 season already will be thinned out immensely since neither Stallworth, nor Clayton, nor D. Williams are under contract for 2011...also who knows if Mason will even honor a 2 year deal!

Is all this sinking in yet?

No, it's bullshit. We have been very successful. Very few teams can win a championship, that can not be all that is used to measure success. VERY FEW TEAMS have multiple stud WR's. Just the fact that we now have Boldin who can command a double team will open up our Running game exponentially. The step up from 0 WR's to 1 WR is a bigger gap then the step from being a team with 1 Studs to a team with 2. Is this all sinking in?

If the WR is BPA, then yes, you take him. But the point is that the position is no longer a need, and probably isn't worth a first round pick this year either, regardless of development time.

However, we shouldn't be very happy if WR does turn out to be the BPA and our selection. There are many positions on this roster that need filling out more than the receivers at this point.