ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

NHL Playoffs

millz58

I have to think they start Varlamov on Monday, Theodore is going to watch - probably until Varlamov really sucks. The Habs played well except for the defense but thats they way they have all season, so I cannot be surprised. The Habs suspect D and a few (IMO) weak goals let in made for a great comeback. Martin likes a defensive game, as do most coaches but I do not think the personnel fits that. I think they would be better off playing an up tempo aggressive game a lot more than they do.

Random thoughts:

I hated how much contact the Capitals were allowed on Halak.

The penalty on Gill finishing his check on Semin was a joke (but didnt cost them).

Pouliot should be smacked for tripping a Capital right after a huge goal, same for Cammalleri's slash late.

Halak was at times really good, but he should have stopped the last two IMO.

Backstrom was awesome and Ovechkin really woke up.

I hated how the Capitals knocked the net off at a most opportune time with no call, but thats nothing new. The league rarely calls that penalty.

Gomez was great, and I admire his spirit in fighting, but he was too good the last two game to be in the box for 5.

My complaints may seem like I dont think the better team won, not true. The Habs were up 4-1 late in the 2nd, a team has to win that. I tip my hat to the Capitals.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My complaints may seem like I dont think the better team won, not true. The Habs were up 4-1 late in the 2nd, a team has to win that. I tip my hat to the Capitals.

Your complaints are well taken, I agree with them (I also despised seeing those red jerseys all over the crease and knocking bodies and hardware around). But I don't think Washington was the better team the first 5 periods of this series; the Caps were the better team on paper, but needed almost 2 games to prove it, and in OT at that. I still think the Habs have alot, maybe more, going for them in bringing a tied series to home ice, even though the Ovie-Backstrom-Semins have seemed to come alive now. I also agree Varlamov needs to start (for Budreau's sake, not the Caps') but the goal-tending will be a focal point for Washington tomorrow night. But moreso will be Montreal's speed and pressure, especially with the home crowd behind them and atop of the Caps. I'd like to see if the Caps can take one of these next two, I'm not convinced they can, based on these first two games.

I was running around today and saw very little. I saw that the Penguins kicked the Senators ass. I watched the last 10 minutes of the Coyotes game, they are fun to watch.

I wonder if the Sharks angered the hockey gods at some point, they cannot catch a break. Both goalies were great (actually Nabby only had 15 saves in regulation) but Dan Boyle hits one past his own goalie in OT.

The Habs were wonderful tonight, I was really amazed by the line of Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Cammalerri. Kostitsyn in particular I have had enough of, I hope neither are back next season.

Whenever there was a Caps goal, the three of them were politely watching. Spacek earns points for helping on the first goal too. He should learn to knock the net off like the Capitals did, not knock your own goalie.

I can actually feel the frustration in your post, Spen. I was working from home, trying to focus a bit on that game, but (rather quickly) turning my attention to Buf/Boston while making a google-map. It would seem the "favorites" are beginning to turn it up, Caps, Pens (what with the explosive offense) showing their truer colors and the 'underdog' Flyers and Bruins (both playing against divisional opponents that they bested in the regular season series) are showing why they're not really dogs (as placed by seed). I missed the first 30+ minutes of the Pens/Sens game tonight, apparently there was a lot of bad (non)officiating that went against Ottawa or benefitted Pittsburgh, I don't know; but I hate that kind of stuff, where the game is diminished and even questioned based on the role of the striped skaters. From what parts I did see, there wasn't too much called, but I didn't see much that wasn't that should have been. anyway there was a good bit of frustration coming to the fore, and I hope it doesn't spill over in game 5 as the series moves back to the Igloo... And that's just the Eastern Conference. The west, now, is a different animal altogether...

Well, the Habs put up a great game for basically 55 minutes but are getting beat late (ovechkin has finally stepped up his play in this game), and will have to go to DC with the Caps ahead 3-1. This OT between Boston and Buffalo should be cool, I don't think many (even myself) expected the Bruins to have a chance to go up 3-1 in the series, yet here they are in a position to maybe take that lead. Let's go B's...

WOW, great 2OT game, and the former long-time Buffalo sabre Miroslav Satan (who won a day with Lord Stanley's cup w/pens last year) gives the Bruins the win against the Sabres with a goal, so boston gets their first multiple-overtime playoff win (according to VS) since like the 1930's or something.... And the 'underdog' B's take a 3-1 lead over Ryan Miller and the Sabres.

Oh, and yeah, caps beat habs.... pfft.

Habs play well for a stretch during a game and really look good, then play stupid for a while and get beat. Frustrating team, really no different than they have been all season.

The Bruins-Sabres game was great, the goal tending in OT was fantastic.

NJ will kick Philly in the mouth. That won't even be a competition. And I think the Sabres will handle Boston somewhat easily, too.

*ahem*, both Philly and Boston had the season series advantage over their opponents...; bearing fruit. anyhoo, as a Pens fan, I'd much rather have them face Philly or Boston than NJ or Buf.

edit: 3OT in store for PIT/OTT, sheesh...

edit: ...well, Sens get the 3OT goal, live to play another game, we'll see. I find it hard to believe Pittsburgh would lose two more after this, but ya never know... . anyway at least I can go to bed!

WOW, Halak was awesome tonight, and the Habs played well and now take the series back to MTL with a chance to tie, as do the Senators v. Pit. Funny how these two series are mirroring each other. Both road teams (canadian) won the first game on the road, then the other (american) teams won the next three games, and then the other (canadien) teams won (again, on the road) to get within a game, and bring the series back on their (canadian) home soil. crazy. Still thinking Pens and Caps will advance, but then again the odds might be with one of those two failing... If that's the case, even money on Pens, I guess. They're goal-tending is shakier.

WOW, Halak was awesome tonight, and the Habs played well and now take the series back to MTL with a chance to tie, as do the Senators v. Pit. Funny how these two series are mirroring each other. Both road teams (canadian) won the first game on the road, then the other (american) teams won the next three games, and then the other (canadien) teams won (again, on the road) to get within a game, and bring the series back on their (canadian) home soil. crazy. Still thinking Pens and Caps will advance, but then again the odds might be with one of those two failing... If that's the case, even money on Pens, I guess. They're goal-tending is shakier.

Whew....Yay!

Entertaining game tonight that Halak held onto. Not a Jacques Martin fan but his line shuffling really worked. Moving Moen to Gomez and Gionta's line was a great move.

A six game series sounds a lot more competitive than a 5 game series.

The Pens look really slow and are getting outplayed by a well-motivated Senators team, Crosby is being bottled up, the Pens' passing is not real crisp, they are not putting bodies on anyone, and Ottawa is getting plenty of shots on MAF, who has clearly been Pittsburgh's best player so far this game, unfortunately. I hope they wake up next period, because the senators are only going to come harder...

i can't wait for game 6 at the Bell center, that place is gonna be crazy, and I remember a statement uttered several times by various media personalities about the Caps before the playoffs started, that they "tend to play down to their competition", I'm not sure if that is accurate in this case, but the Habs have certainly done their fair share of competing.

Quick goal by sens, 2-0 early in period 2; then Crosby goes down in Elliot's crease, and he's off to the locker room, gosh.... Pens aren't moving the puck and in general moving quickly enough. Maybe the 3OT game Thursday night and the fact that the Pens have played so many games the last 4 seasons is accumulating to general weariness, but maybe they're just not on point tonight.

edit: Crosby back on ice at 14:00, looking okay. Pens are starting to ratchet it up a bit; going back and forth a lot by 10:00.

Okay, I turn to the O's game for a minute and miss 2 goals; I have seen only one of them tonight real-time. Hopefully Cooke's goal will energize Pittsburgh, get them moving. That on-ice twinkie (Chlarissa?) has a weird nose... Byslma doesn't even have one; they need to borrow some of Crosby's cartilege.

edit: the Pens are so sloppy tonight, their passing sucks, are not playing physical or with any real energy or focus, and will deserve to have to play game 7 at home with the possibility of that being the last game ever at the igloo, unless they get their shit together quickly. It's not like Ottawa is being overpowering, there's not much checking going on, just a lot of up-and-down stuff

edit: another goal (it might be overturned b/c net was off its moorings) against Crosby's line; well, if he's gonna have an off night, let it be now and not Tuesday...

Quite a barn burner in Ottawa!

Cooke is keeping PIT alive, along with Malkin and Guerin...; now it's a game I just wish it wouldn't take 2.5 periods for PIT to wake the F*** UP!!! But yea, the pace has certainly picked up. Gonna be a great last 5 minutes.

edit: ... or not; OT again... ugh.

*whew*, Staal does awesome work to set up Dupuis, and Pens will advance, but the Ottawa Senators get ultimate credit for really making this a true series. Holy shit. And the handshakes begin...

Pens really did ramp it up when they had to, and Bylsma made the right line shifts especially with the fourth line

edit: I swear, I'm gonna buy a jordan staal jersey.... I have no real idea how the Pens came back to win this one, but it is pivotal, they go home to rest a bit and await their 2nd round opponent.

Congrats man, great series!

Yeah, I'm happy that they really took over the last 30 mins, and how (as did happen last year with guys like Talbot and Letang) some less-heralded guys stepped up at the few but key times in this series when Crosby and Malkin were being handled; but wow they can't afford to play in 1st gear in the 2nd round. I'm really looking foward to Habs/Caps tomorrow, and how am I gonna juggle my time if somehow Bos/Buf or Hawks/Preds make it on VS.? or at least NHL network... How cool is it for Phoenix to stroll into Hockeytown and dominate the Wings? Awesome, 9 months ago the talk was all about how the heck the coyotes remain in Phoenix, and now the NHL-owned team has one of the original-six and current powers against the ropes. Beautiful (not just coming from a Pens fan that wouldn't mind a change in Western-conference representation; I'd love to see the once Gretsky-fronted franchise succeed.) And San jose shaking off some bad karma? Yes, and if the Hawks can get by Nashville, the new guard will arrive in the west. I have no rooting interest in the Kings/Canucks series, just like watching a good matchup, game 6 tonight!

Holy $#!|, Luongo is great for the 'nucks, he is (as they say) "standing on his head" in this game, some fabulous saves... Quick is also doing great things for the Kings. This is a cool series. Like in the Boston/Buffalo series, great goalies are showing their stuff; although the latter series has been truly more defensive, lower-scoring. I'm looking forward to seeing game 6 of MTL/WAS as Halak and Varlamov defend for their teams.

HOLY CRAP Daniel Sedin scores with under 2 minutes and the Canucks go up 3-2 on LA, looking to clinch the series! and now they get the empty netter!! cool.... Maybe Vancouver and Roberto Luongo will have more than the Olympics to celebrate this year!

This is good for Vancouver and particlularly Luongo, who's had his share of detractors, doubting his abilities on the larger stage (before this year, he's proven his detractors right). But the gold medal for Canada, and now advancing to the second round, and showing very well in net in the process, should bring some deserved praise.

The close-ups of the end-game line-ups, where the teams shake hands, shows the respect these teams have for each other; hockey is so cool. Go 'Nucks!

What a huge goal by Sedin! Nice timing.

Yay! The Habs call up PK Subban in case Spacek cannot play. I'd rather Subban play now over Spacek or Obyrne.

PC_070623subban-pk_n.jpg

Yeah, Subban contributed to a great PK performance by the Habs, and great defense in general as Montreal forces game seven in DC. great win, Halak was unreal, I know how they say when a goalie's playing great that they see the puck like a beach ball, you could see how fluid and anticipatory his actions were in goal. He certainly knew every time where the shots were coming from, and his defense did a good job not obscuring the shots, and getting in to deflect rebounds and block shots. Also they played physically, although it did seem some were hammin' it up (Lapierre, e.g.) and trying too hard to draw penalties, the refs were clearly not afraid to make calls (too many IMO, especially game misconducts piling up). but overall a great effort, great crowd, now let's hope they make it count and show up well for what should be a great game 7. The Caps, on the other hand, cashed in way too early, showed little heart and no urgency after Halak showed quickly he was in prime form. Caps seemed to be confused as to how to keep the puck in the zone, Montreal's defense extended out to the blue line many times, and forced the Caps to regroup often, which they clearly grew weary of doing; also Washington's PP was stagnant, stationary and uninspired. I hope Boudreau reams his scorers this time after already calling them out earlier...

meanwhile, kudos to the B's in ousting the Sabres. I feel badly for Miller, but hey them's the breaks. So, if Washington wins, we have Caps/Flyers and Pens/Bruins; if the Habs prevail Wednesday night, then they get Pittsburgh and Boston gets Philly. I think I like the latter scenario, but I'd love to see if Chris Pronger could handle the scorers of Washington (he and the Flyers had little success handling the Pens' offensive weapons, which he was brought to Philly to do this year.)

PK on the PK!

It was a great game for a Habs fan. I have followed the NHL for a dozen years or so and I am not sure I ever saw any goalie much better in a playoff game than Halak was tonight. He had one of those nights.

The diving calls puzzled me. IMO if your going to call a dive you should be certain its a dive, and 2 out of the 3 calls tonight seemed iffy to me. Luckily they didn't affect the outcome. I didn't see the 2nd Lapierre one, how was it? CSN didn't show it again, or I missed it. I hate Lapierre but I am not sure he did too much on the first call.

I wasn't happy with the Gionta call either, but they never showed a replay. I backed it up and the stick looked between his legs as he was breaking up the ice so I can see him going down. While there are numerous Habs players who dive or embellish at times (the brothers!), Gionta is not one of them IMO.

I also would have liked some explanations for some of the misconducts/unsportsmanlike penalties in game 3, but again once called CSN never mentioned the reasons why. Refs talk and yell at the refs all the time, mostly to no calls. I'd like to hear what the Habs did in that game. Pleks got an extra two (and the original 2 for golaie int) and I bet he was pissed, after all the contact the Capitals were allowed to get on Halak early in the series.

But I cannot complain. After being beaten easily in games 3 or 4 the Habs have found a way to take it to game 7.

Watching the 1st Yapierre dive call again on youtube, and it does look like he tries to make it look like he was hit from behind when clearly he braces for the hit.

Hard call for the ref to make on the fly but he probably got it right.

Its Lapierre's reputation preceding him IMO, and thats his own fault.